Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-15 01:02:31

FieryMewtwo

Forking FluxBB, looking for some devs

Before we get started, I'm 14, yes, I'm a noob, yes, that's why I'm asking for some help.

I've been really disappointed with FluxBB lately. Lack of major updates (to 1.x at least), and let's be honest, Flarum is garbage. I'm not saying that the devs are wrong; it's their software, not mine, but it's kind of sad. My vision is to make FluxBB for 2021- an up-to-date, minimal, and secure forum software, just like how Papa Rickard would have wanted.

So today, I am (somewhat) excited to announce SolderBB (get it?), a FluxBB fork meant to be the fork to end all forks, without straying too far from the vanilla look and feel (I hear you old people like to call that "eye candy", but I think of someone eating an eyeball when I type that, so I prefer not to do so. tongue

#2 2021-09-15 07:14:05

cpnsqpnts

Re: Forking FluxBB, looking for some devs

I only just started a "fork", mostly removing stuff that is deprecated, such as get_magic_quotes_runtime.

I could help I suppose, but I already bought a domain name for my "fork". Been meaning to announce and ask for help on licensing. I'm mostly not sure how I should change this part:

/**
 * Copyright (C) 2008-2012 FluxBB
 * based on code by Rickard Andersson copyright (C) 2002-2008 PunBB
 * License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html GPL version 2 or higher
 */

long time lurker on punbb/fluxbb

#3 2021-09-15 08:41:57

cpnsqpnts

cpnsqpnts wrote:

I only just started a "fork", mostly removing stuff that is deprecated, such as get_magic_quotes_runtime.

I could help I suppose, but I already bought a domain name for my "fork". Been meaning to announce and ask for help on licensing. I'm mostly not sure how I should change this part:

/**
 */

Since I can't edit. The question that I had was mostly how I should change the copyright block (or if I even need to) if I make any changes on the code.

long time lurker on punbb/fluxbb

#4 2021-09-15 10:52:34

Visman
Website

That's right, the most important thing in fork is copyright.

#5 2021-09-15 11:30:53

FieryMewtwo

I'm not asking for anything full-time, just some minor volunteering for the kinks and such. Sorry if this is something really weird or wrong, I'm barely good at social interaction in Real Life(TM) wink.

Thanks in advance!

Question: For Git, which service does everyone think we should use for SolderBB? I'm the most comfortable with GitHub, but I can manage GitLab or Bitbucket if necessary.

Also: minor update: Flarum's backend is, frankly, amazing. The frontend is easy to change, I know, but I'm also looking for that simplicity that FluxBB, and even, dare I say it, PunBB has. Just upload the archive, unzip it, create a database, and go. With Flarum, it's more like
1. Install and setup Composer
2. oh wait i installed v1 welp gotta do that again
3. Install:
Apache (with mod_rewrite enabled) or Nginx
PHP 7.3+ with the following extensions: curl, dom, gd, json, mbstring, openssl, pdo_mysql, tokenizer, zip
MySQL 5.6+ or MariaDB 10.0.5+
SSH (command-line) access to run Composer
4. This thing. This. Horrible. Ugly. Thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shared Hosting

It's not possible to install Flarum by downloading a ZIP file and uploading the files to your web server. This is because Flarum uses a dependency-management system called Composer (opens new window)which needs to run on the command line.

This doesn't necessarily mean you need a VPS. Most decent hosts support SSH access, through which you should be able to install Composer and Flarum just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(that last one was a joke btw)

No, in all seriousness, I'm open to using Flarum if everyone's in. I just dislike the UI. I would prefer working with FluxBB 1.5.11, but, meh.

#6 2021-09-15 11:50:01

Visman
Website

FluxBB by Visman (support php 7.0 - 8.1) https://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4941
Punbb 1.4.4 + my fixes (support php 5.3 - 8.1) https://github.com/MioVisman/punbb

P.S. https://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9362

#7 2021-09-15 12:02:10

FieryMewtwo

Oh thank you! I saw that list a few days ago and completely forgot it existed. smile

#8 2021-09-15 12:34:17

FieryMewtwo

What does everyone think about a new set of emojis? Maybe some Google-y blob emojis? I haven't drawn any yet, but I would be glad to if it's something that we think should be done.

#9 2021-09-15 16:15:17

FieryMewtwo

I'm almost done editing copyrights and such. I have a server running Flux already, so I can even see if an upgrade to Solder from Flux would be possible instead of Flux users having to do a clean install of Solder.

#10 2021-09-15 16:20:19

FieryMewtwo

cpnsqpnts wrote:

/**
 */

I would firstly change the copyright date to 2021 at the end.

Then, I would probably change the text to say something like this:

/**
* Copyright (C) 2008-2021 (fork name)
* based on FluxBB (copyright (C) 2008-2012 FluxBB)
* and code by Rickard Andersson (copyright (C) 2002-2008 PunBB
* Licensed under the GPL v2 or higher.
*/

Last edited by FieryMewtwo (2021-09-15 16:24:25)

Board footer