Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-29 03:04:15

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Nothing beats the speed of FluxBB

So testing phpBB, SMF, Elk and whatever... And really in load speed nothing beats FluxBB.

It's so sad that someone did not work on mobility and keep it simple - we don't need more then one theme to start out with to further the people to be able to edit the CSS.

Just needed an Mobile update for the Forum with all the fixes for it to work on modern mobiles and it would be awesome. We don't need new features - already is enough to work with overall.

Just need it to work with mobiles, the overall look is great and it functions good as well.

I keep coming back to FluxBB... But to no avail, even the Mobile pages where they did a desent job to fix it for mobile has some flucks.

Anyway... You guys should at least make Flarum go by the norm of Forums views, old style. Like not everybody wants the new modern nonsense of things.

Well, whatever... Still on the loose of things. Looking at Elk now - they seem to have updated SMF for a more modern look. But I saw them talking about making the forum new modern style index nonsense of Flarum.

Anyway... So... I'm up all hands once again not seeing any real rob to hang unto.

Everytime I come back to FluxBB, it's like being home. And yet... it needs the mobility.

*SIGH* Can't even find one forum that I'm totally satisfied with, the option was to easy in the beginning, of cause FluxBB... But nope, no more being worked on.

Ohh well, just setting here and complaining won't fix anything... I'm at lost with this forum thing. If I could make SMF look like FluxBB, it would be nice - but sure not as fast as quick as FluxBB. FluxBB are just lightning quick to respond and load compared to anything else really on my old computer.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-29 03:07:49)

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

#2 2020-09-29 03:19:22

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Re: Nothing beats the speed of FluxBB

So, SMF is making Mobility work, Elk is a fork it seems of it and have updated it to a modern style thing.

SMF is in progress of making mobility and working on version 2.1, and their RC3 version should be around the corner. Although who knows when they are going to finish the final one as RC4 comes afterwards before the final 2.1.

Then we have phpBB and that's pretty much about it with free opensource PHP forums as far as I can see that are active.

Anyway I'm still very confused on the SMF, getting around it and all is confusing - but if I can make a theme look more like FluxBB it might be the way to go. I really don't know. Fully satisfaction is not going to come out of any choice choosen, clearly.

hmmm, there is just not one single good choice it seems. Flarum Beta and new modern style nonsense, banned from Forum, FluxBB not going to move forard on mobility, SMF in Beta for mobility and then there is ELK which talks about fixing the modern way of Flarum way... And they are waiting for the SMF final as well. phpBB is to much graphic and seem to be the heaviest of them all, that I have tried and does not seem to have the same custimizable as SMF. In speed pretty much we have FluxBB, SMF and phpBB from first to last in quickness.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

#3 2020-09-29 03:54:51

JamesDean

FluxBB out of the box is not really that fast .... most of the fork versions are MUCH faster.

As for the responsive/mobile templates, FluxBB out of the box must be modified to allow modern templating functionality. phpBB would be a superior forum if your only real demands are "forums + responsive display". If you specifically demand FluxBB, you will have to select from one of the fork versions of FluxBB. Keep in mind, some of us are not willing to publicly share our versions, and some are. Look for members in the showoff forum with github links in their signature.

#4 2020-09-29 04:28:52

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

JamesDean wrote:

FluxBB out of the box is not really that fast .... most of the fork versions are MUCH faster.

As for the responsive/mobile templates, FluxBB out of the box must be modified to allow modern templating functionality. phpBB would be a superior forum if your only real demands are "forums + responsive display". If you specifically demand FluxBB, you will have to select from one of the fork versions of FluxBB. Keep in mind, some of us are not willing to publicly share our versions, and some are. Look for members in the showoff forum with github links in their signature.

Well my computer says otherwise, the speed is absolutly there on my old computer compared to the others out there. I though the whole idea was sharing with eachother by the way. Sadly I do see more and more compromises overall and a lot of free open software ruined as well. Political agendas are pushed and wars are fought, and moving in worldly ways.

In any case I don't understand why people can't get together and move forward on FluxBB, clearly spreading out is not sensible when people are moving away from php forums overall and want all the nutty new things with the flashes and gems and all that.

In any case, I really still don't know which route to take myself on this Forum thing.

There is really not anything wrong with FluxBB, it just needed mobility upgrade, a standard theme that people on lower scale levels of programming could themself easily Customize with CSS, and thats pretty much it.

Dearly Regards
- Darkijah

#5 2020-09-29 05:48:33

JamesDean

Flux is predominantly a string parser .... string parsing is literally the slowest php function there is.

measuring a website with a lot of content, -vs- a fresh install of FluxBB out of the box is basically like comparing apples to oranges. Load up 50 forums, and 100 topics to that fresh install and you'll find a drastic difference. Benchmarking will show a very different story!

As ive said, FluxBB out of the box is not mobile friendly, nor is it even template friendly ... If you have not looked around the forums ( you should ), the Devs have made every poor decision they could since 2013, and are still replicating the same bad choices in 2019 ( even today, you see administration promoting mods with "<table> displays and are encouraging others to follow ), which is why we Devs don't participate with them. We simply do our own.

#6 2020-09-29 09:54:05

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

JamesDean wrote:

Flux is predominantly a string parser .... string parsing is literally the slowest php function there is.

measuring a website with a lot of content, -vs- a fresh install of FluxBB out of the box is basically like comparing apples to oranges. Load up 50 forums, and 100 topics to that fresh install and you'll find a drastic difference. Benchmarking will show a very different story!

As ive said, FluxBB out of the box is not mobile friendly, nor is it even template friendly ... If you have not looked around the forums ( you should ), the Devs have made every poor decision they could since 2013, and are still replicating the same bad choices in 2019 ( even today, you see administration promoting mods with "<table> displays and are encouraging others to follow ), which is why we Devs don't participate with them. We simply do our own.

I would not call Fluxbb, bunsenlabs and Arch linux forums fresh install and others... And they are lighting fast on my slow computer compared to the rest.

I have been looking around for months, and had my difficulty with with finding one to use. And a long story in itself. I know the Devs here did some very bad things, like complete nonsense it seems and it went cold, which is very sad. My first choice was this Forum, although I did not know its name - I just know how wonderful it was on the Crunchbang site.

But overall this forum software is snap fast on my old computer compared to the others. Where I wait for many seconds on others, Fluxbb just nearly instantly takes places.

Very sad that movement on it was stalled - great forum software, the very best I think. It just needed some work here and there for mobility, because without mobility that is so much of our daily life now - it loses to all the rest that does have it. It's snappy snappy as well on my old mobile by the way wink

Don't know about any test, but I know what I experience on my computer and my mobile!

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

#7 2020-09-29 10:44:23

JamesDean

exactly WHAT PART of "https://www.bunsenlabs.org/"  or "https://www.archlinux.org/" are you comparing to FluxBB ? Are you seriously comparing operating systems to a forum software based on Speed? Because I can play that idiotic game too. Spaceships are faster than FluxBB. My Dead Grandmother moves faster than FluxBB too!

The two letters ( BB )  in the name FluxBB mean "Bulletin Board", also known as "Forums". It was written on PHP ( just like 95% ) of all other BBs and CMS. PHP has NOTHING to do with your "computer" since PHP runs on the SERVER. Your "opinions" are based on some type of odd measurement where unicorns police the world wide web and dictate the "laws of physics" with leprechauns from some 5th dimensional realm.

Claiming how well something operates on Apache Services has no bearing of measure of the "thing" that it is running on. And i am slowly understanding why you are having difficulty "picking" a forum to install.

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life wrote:

But overall this forum software is snap fast on my old computer compared to the others. Where I wait for many seconds on others, Fluxbb just nearly instantly takes places.

This claim is fundamentally, statistically, and mathematically incorrect AND inaccurate. Benchmarking has already shown FluxBB to be inferior in speeds of at least 80% of other comparable BB systems. Keeping in mind, that FluxBB is at its core out of date ( proof shown each PHP Update where people have to rush to convert backwards compatibility functions as patch jobs ), and so would any comparable BB system that could be compared to it.

You are correct in assuming that NOBODY wants to take responsibility and clean up the core to actually even get it to a competitive level with other BB systems. And there are very good reasons for that! Devs do NOT want to build something Free Base just to give away to some random person on the internet that compares FluxBB to Operating Systems.

Some Devs do however publish their own Versions, which is who you would need to get in contact with if you wanted an operational Mobile version of FluxBB ( Visaman published a decent version, talk to him ).

#8 2020-09-29 11:00:49

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

JamesDean wrote:

exactly WHAT PART of "https://www.bunsenlabs.org/"  or "https://www.archlinux.org/" are you comparing to FluxBB ? Are you seriously comparing operating systems to a forum software based on Speed? Because I can play that idiotic game too. Spaceships are faster than FluxBB. My Dead Grandmother moves faster than FluxBB too!

The two letters ( BB )  in the name FluxBB mean "Bulletin Board", also known as "Forums". It was written on PHP ( just like 95% ) of all other BBs and CMS. PHP has NOTHING to do with your "computer" since PHP runs on the SERVER. Your "opinions" are based on some type of odd measurement where unicorns police the world wide web and dictate the "laws of physics" with leprechauns from some 5th dimensional realm.

Claiming how well something operates on Apache Services has no bearing of measure of the "thing" that it is running on. And i am slowly understanding why you are having difficulty "picking" a forum to install.

This claim is fundamentally, statistically, and mathematically incorrect AND inaccurate. Benchmarking has already shown FluxBB to be inferior in speeds of at least 80% of other comparable BB systems. Keeping in mind, that FluxBB is at its core out of date ( proof shown each PHP Update where people have to rush to convert backwards compatibility functions as patch jobs ), and so would any comparable BB system that could be compared to it.

You are correct in assuming that NOBODY wants to take responsibility and clean up the core to actually even get it to a competitive level with other BB systems. And there are very good reasons for that! Devs do NOT want to build something Free Base just to give away to some random person on the internet that compares FluxBB to Operating Systems.

Some Devs do however publish their own Versions, which is who you would need to get in contact with if you wanted an operational Mobile version of FluxBB ( Visaman published a decent version, talk to him ).

Not to make an Ass out of you, well kinda hard not to - but if you looked both Bunsenlabs and Linux Arch Websites run FluxBB... Crunchbang had a FluxBB forum as well that I used when it was up. I do know how to count seconds you know, its like 1, 2, 3 and so forth - so It's kinda hard not to notice the differnce on the forums in speed on my computer call it what you will. Interesting how insanely rude you try to be - and how you start out coming out with fairy tales of already knowing what I did and did not do. It's like people knowing me more then myself after talking with me 5 minutes and yet of cause failing to get things right.

Well, I guess you're not the person sitting on my end on my laptop where FluxBB takes the cake without any competition really - and why would it not, it is extremely lightweight.

Again I must say, you really wanna push that Donkey there. Like less then a minute pushing on both of the links you can check out there forums.

Dearly Regards
- Darkijah destroyer of bullshit. wink

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-29 11:06:05)

#9 2020-09-29 11:13:41

JamesDean

you are literally talking about a PHP written script speed running on an OS. It would be the same as comparing how fast FluxBB runs on WINDOWS, when the reality is FluxBB does not run on anything outside of Apache Services. Speed has nothing to do with it, your claims of speed cant be measured because you are comparing Spaceships to Unicorns and worse claiming an opinion on something that does not even exist.

Removed personal attack. /Franz

Last edited by Franz (2020-09-29 22:06:25)

#10 2020-09-29 22:02:56

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I've deleted the religious debates. This is not the place for those. Please respect our forum rules or you will be banned. Tip: If you cannot get along here, feel free to avoid each other. wink

@JamesDean: Darkijah was referring to the Archlinux forums, which do use FluxBB.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#11 2020-09-30 01:59:55

JamesDean

Franz wrote:

I've deleted the religious debates. This is not the place for those. Please respect our forum rules or you will be banned. Tip: If you cannot get along here, feel free to avoid each other. wink

@JamesDean: Darkijah was referring to the Archlinux forums, which do use FluxBB.

In which case, Chrome Developer mode shows it to be slower generation times than 80% of other forum systems. ( right click on page, and click the "inspect" tab ). /or/ ( CTRL + SHIFT + I ).

Again, benchmarking allows measure of comparison.

Forum Submission is strangely VERY slow ( like on this same website ).

#12 2020-09-30 06:32:59

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

JamesDean wrote:
Franz wrote:

In which case, Chrome Developer mode shows it to be slower generation times than 80% of other forum systems. ( right click on page, and click the "inspect" tab ). /or/ ( CTRL + SHIFT + I ).

Again, benchmarking allows measure of comparison.

Forum Submission is strangely VERY slow ( like on this same website ).

No worries Franz, I saved it all if I need to use it for anything. Ignorance is high in the world and the paid brainwash on Universities and learning and against learning is part of this wicked world. Not the first time or the last that I have to deal with prideful bullshitters who has been brainwashed in an institution - many times these people just can't think for themself but Regurgitate bullshit that has been feed them, 20 years of indoctrination being put in a box can do a lot to damage reasonable sense and understanding.

James you might sit on a powerhouse of a computer, and thereby don't see any difference between forums - but I'm sitting on an around 8 year old laptop, and I can tell you FluxBB whether it is here, the former Crunchbang, Arch Linux and Bunsenslabs or others I've tried has been smooth and quick compared to anyone else. There is nothing that compares to it, beside the same branch of forums in speed. I don't care what you have read or whatever, bullshit is everywhere and the Devil attacks what is good - nothing new under the sun.
I would love if the other forums was as quick as I'm not going to use FluxBB because of its lagging support and mobility. I'm very sad about this, but the facts are the facts, FluxBB are quicker then SMF and SMF quicker then phpBB - It's just how it is on my old machine. Like there is no incentive to promote FluxBB, I'm sadly not going to use it, as it is pretty much cold.

Even Franz could understand what I said James and I guess must people would as well - I guess your University hat and degree are strangling your brain - quit the Demons and seek Jesus, stop working for the Devil is my advice.

Just get an old computer and load all the forums up, like observational science you know, did you learn any of that? - and see which one is fatest. FluxBB will ruin every single one of them in regards of speed.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

#13 2020-09-30 06:46:38

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Message are slow to be posted, LOL.... What have you been smoking, your university degree?
This piece of Forum software is smooth as a hot knife through butter. Lightweight to the max, and fast as leopard.
To say otherwise is deeply ignorant and have no foundation in truth.

FluxBB is snappy, that was the word - very very snappy. You push and instantly you are there.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-30 07:05:41)

#14 2020-09-30 06:53:42

JamesDean

a "computer" has 0 impact in the ability of a PHP script. You fundamentally have no comprehension of how any aspect of the internet operates if you think a computer has any impact on how the internet is served.

May I suggest: https://www.dummies.com/programming/php/how-php-works/ to start your education.

Even with claiming that FluxBB on one specific website runs fast, ( CTRL + Shift + I ) in chrome will show you the time stamps of operation of how it is served. Which 1.05s is NOT a fast operation run time by any standards. Anything above 0.07 has to be justified as large content. In the case of your claim, It served 1.42 MB data in 1.05s .... when the "standard" average of a CMS is 10MB at 1.25s .... Mathematically your claim is not only false, but FluxBB falls extremely low in industry standards. These are benchmarks on the data being served to the browser, there are much much worse when its the browser feeding data to the server.

Since you can not grasp even the basic concept of how PHP operates, we already know you have no way of comprehending how to measure such a claim. Your opinion is nothing more than a false claim.

#15 2020-09-30 07:05:35

JamesDean

Message are slow to be posted, LOL.... What have you been smoking, your university degree?
This piece of Forum software is smooth as a hot knife through butter. Lightweight to the max, and fast as leopard.
To say otherwise is deeply ignorant and have no foundation in truth.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

You are again posting opinions without any fundamental comprehension of how the internet works ....

Post Submission is when you type a post ( just like you are doing now on each reply, you make here ) .... FluxBB takes on average 3.2 seconds to process. Which by industry standards is fundamentally laughable.

Under common low traffic, 3 seconds really does not matter .... but the moment that a board becomes heavy traffic for communication, it exposes the one major flaw PHP has ( Its not capable of multi-threading - which means it cant do 2 things at 1 time ) so each submission goes into a que, and the end user has to wait in line to complete submission, and then receive the rendered results. ( this is why Javascript is commonly used to render a page that is waiting on a response from the server [ Some would claim that is why people like Flarum ] )

#16 2020-09-30 07:12:25

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

You claims are outrageous as the rest of the page which you have spouted out, clearly they did not teach you time. From pushing to near to instantly having the page shown is not 3 seconds. Your claims are utter invalid.

It does not seem to me that new modern Java forum software is any contender to php forums - at least not on older hardware which I have.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

#17 2020-09-30 07:14:24

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

From pushing the submit, to seeing the post, +3 seconds?... Lets have an observation. Count clock ready...

#18 2020-09-30 07:15:08

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

I get 2 sec tops from pushing to seing the post. Sadly no milliseconds on it.

#19 2020-09-30 07:16:55

JamesDean

all benchmarking is measured in milliseconds .... how are you coming to the conclusion of ( 2 ) without reading the benchmarks from the browser, or what is being published from PHP?

#20 2020-09-30 07:21:44

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Anyone else wanna try posting and counting tongue Ha ha ha, this is so stupid.

But in any case it is mostly going from page to page, that one really see and feels the difference with the load speed on forums. Overall, it is very noticeble on my computer, You feel the smoothness from one place to going to wait time. Like it's hard not to notice you know....

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-30 07:22:15)

#21 2020-09-30 07:29:06

JamesDean

"seeing" means nothing if your opinion is being concluded based on your claims that "my old computer looks fast".

Speed is defined by measurement. Light has a speed of travel, Data across the internet has a speed of travel, php has a speed that it operates at ( regardless of you believing your computer has anything to do with it ).... your "opinion" is simply invalid because it is based on nothing you have even attempted to measure for yourself.

#22 2020-09-30 07:32:34

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Anyway, I'm sorry if I was a little rough on you JamesDean - we can agree to disagree. smile
Just a lot of nonsense comes by my nose daily and I'm kinda thin skinned about it these days.

I love FluxBB, It was my first choice for a forum. It really is a nice Gem of a forum software if you ask me.
Anyway, now I'm going to try out SMF 2.0.17 and ElkArte 1.1.6 and test for mobility and functionality. But surely not as quick and fast and smooth as FluxBB.

If I can settle on one, and make a Theme like looking like FluxBB - that would be absolut awesome - at least get a little of the gold old FluxBB spirit with me. But time will tell, I've been seeking for month and testing things and had a big break and now back at it. It's nagging me that I don't have something yet.

Take care JamesDean, I really hope you find and stick to the Door to everlasting life one day. smile

Dearly Regards
- Darkijah

#23 2020-09-30 08:08:14

JamesDean

I have no interest whatsoever in Christianity, I find the Christian god to hold less moral standards than Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, & Mao combined.

Good luck finding a Forum. Albeit, you probably be searching for what what society likes, and not what you personally like. Service, is based on THEM, not YOU.

#24 2020-09-30 21:45:05

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Sigh.

I've banned both of you for a while and locked this thread.

Please take the time to learn about the science of benchmarking, but preferably the art of human and polite discourse.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Board footer