Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-26 17:15:40

MicheleDUrzo

Multiple Forums on the same site

Hi all.
This is my first post here. Sorry if I missed a previous similar question, but I was not able to locate a "search" feature to scan the past threads.
Well, I painlessly installed FluxBB from my hosted site using Softaculous. All straightforward. I found myself comfortable and with all the necessary features I was looking for.
Now I wonder if it is possible to install 2 diferent forums using the same code version and 2 distinct databases, to manage 2 distinct communities.
For instance mysite.org/hobbies  and mysite.org/sports.
So far, in the example, I have mysite.org/hobbies and I want to setup the other with the minimum additional footprint.
Maintaining only one installation would be nice.
Thank you in advance

#2 2020-05-27 07:20:49

Visman
Website

Re: Multiple Forums on the same site

On one site you can install many forum engines in different folders.
For each forum you can use a separate database or a single database for many forums (but with different table prefixes for each forum).
https://fluxbb.org/docs/v1.5/installing

#3 2020-05-27 11:03:02

MicheleDUrzo

Re: Multiple Forums on the same site

Spasiba, Visman!
Indeed yesterday, after sending my post, I did exactly this (manually duplicating a dir-tree and then changing something in the copy).
Now I'm fine with 2 different forums up and running.
The weight of duplicating the directory tree is not too much.
In case of future updates, I will do the following:
1) Before the update, run a recursive comparison of the 2 trees, locating the differing files (and backup them)
2) Apply the update
3) Verify the differing files after update (and, if necessary, do some adjustment).

The only part of this story, which I "empirically" addressed (it works, but I can tell why),  not clear for me is the purpose of the cache_config.php
In the file apparently there are the very same values defined in table "config", which I manually changed in the 2nd DB and in the 2nd .path/cache_config.php
However, when I tried switching from one forum to the other, in the 2nd forum appeared the title of the first forum and viceversa.
I fixed the issue by changing the line in cache_config.php (my guess is that now the configuration is reloaded each time from the DB, but who cares!)

// factory setting -> define('PUN_CONFIG_LOADED', 1);  
define('PUN_CONFIG_LOADED', 0);

Board footer