Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-16 09:17:53

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Hello All, I'm looking into 3 options for a forum for my website.

Hello there - I'm looking into 3 programs for an option of a forum to my website.

Could you guys maybe give me some thoughts?

I'm looking on fluxBB, phpBB and Discourse - the last one someone suggest another place as I only had the first 2 in the beginning. Although I think Discourse might not be free???

So my first choice I was thinking about was fluxBB as that was the forum that gem of Linux CrunchBang was running on and it was pretty nice. I ended up looking up what CrunchBang used and it was fluxBB.

So... any things to the table would be nice smile

Dearly Regards
DarkiJah

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

#2 2020-03-16 09:57:53

Visman
Website

Re: Hello All, I'm looking into 3 options for a forum for my website.

FluxBB is no longer developing. FluxBB is dead.

#3 2020-03-17 10:48:58

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Visman wrote:

FluxBB is no longer developing. FluxBB is dead.

Are you sure it is totally dead??? This is what it says on the front page:

Project update

As you know, this is the first release in a long time. I have decided to continue giving FluxBB the maintenance it deserves. However, I need support to achieve this. Before I announce all of my plans, as a token of goodwill and to regain some trust, I plan to release the long-awaited v1.6 within the next few weeks. This release will clean up some of the dusty bits under the hood of FluxBB. By removing support for old PHP and browser versions, we can lay the foundations to carefully modernize the codebase, while staying true to the spirit of FluxBB. This means that 1.5.11 is the last release to support PHP 4 (which is horribly outdated). In addition, 1.6 will get some much-needed love in the realm of security hardening.

With that out of the way: please go ahead and download the new version on the downloads page. If you are upgrading an existing forum, you can find instructions and resources on the upgrade page.

Enjoy using FluxBB and stay tuned for more news on v1.6!

---

Anyone knows of an IRC Channel?

Dearly Regards and Jehovah bless
- DarkiJah

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

#4 2020-03-17 11:01:23

Visman
Website

2018-12-31 02:39:09 https://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9472
1 year and 3 months ago

https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/commits/master
Last commit 2019-09-02

#5 2020-03-17 11:02:14

Visman
Website

#6 2020-03-17 14:40:08

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Thanks I'm taking a look on those links at the moment smile I got the CrunchBang Theme for FluxBB so I just need to try installing it and get things setup and hopefully will go without to many issues. FluxBB is a very nice, clean and fast forum.

The only other option I see is phpBB - I just need a small forum as I'm not sure people will use it anyway, but at least they will have the option to write. Who knows.... Thanks again Visman for your help! smile

#7 2020-03-17 16:06:46

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

I got it installed and it seem to work - but I'm getting this:

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/www/fluxbb.jesusisgodalmighty.life/include/parser.php on line 98

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/www/fluxbb.jesusisgodalmighty.life/include/functions.php on line 2066

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/www/fluxbb.jesusisgodalmighty.life/include/functions.php on line 2066

Well, apparently it seems to be something with the PHP that needed sorting out.

#8 2020-03-18 01:18:32

Visman
Website

Use the latest changes from dev-master https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/archive/master.zip

#9 2020-03-18 08:16:30

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Visman is not a developer of this software, and as such is not legitimized to make public statements about the project.

No, FluxBB is not dead. There is little activity (from my side and the community's), but that doesn't mean it's dead.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#10 2020-03-18 09:00:22

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Franz wrote:

Visman is not a developer of this software, and as such is not legitimized to make public statements about the project.

No, FluxBB is not dead. There is little activity (from my side and the community's), but that doesn't mean it's dead.

Awesome!!! smile Yea, rumors is not good they tend to spread quickly!!!
Great thanks for the info - you have any suggestion or link for setting up and merging the Webpage with FluxBB or fixing the PHP issues I'm getting. I really don't know much about PHP, but it seems one needs to toy around with it to merge things.

Thanks
-
DarkiJah

#11 2020-03-18 13:05:52

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Visman wrote:

Use the latest changes from dev-master https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/archive/master.zip

Thanks I'll try them out, not sure how you found them on github though smile So is there a place where you figure out there is updates for something? I thought I had the newest version.

#12 2020-03-18 13:08:41

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Anyone knows why some of the FluxBB forums works very nicely with mobile and others does not seem to go into mobile mode like this forum.
BunsenLabs and Arch forum seemed to do very well with my mobile?
Maybe there is a setting in the Forum some place for it.

#13 2020-03-18 13:31:51

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Visman wrote:

Do I just copy them over the installed version or would I need to do this before installation?... I guess I can't lose much with just trying to copy it to my installed folder I guess.

#14 2020-03-18 21:44:36

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Please don't double post and try to keep different conversations to different topics.

For responsive styling, please consider one of the available styles from the community.

Installation of the master version (that is the latest code that is not yet packaged up in a release) should be possible by copying it over your installed files, yes. Never forget to make backups before something like that, though!

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#15 2020-03-19 16:14:39

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Franz wrote:

Please don't double post and try to keep different conversations to different topics.

For responsive styling, please consider one of the available styles from the community.

Installation of the master version (that is the latest code that is not yet packaged up in a release) should be possible by copying it over your installed files, yes. Never forget to make backups before something like that, though!

Ahh, Responsive styles seem to be the norm of word use - did now know that until yesterday. I looked into mobile themes on google and there was many using the word Responsive theme for being mobile ready.

Why would the Themes of FluxBB not be Responsive from the beginning? If there are some great responsive themes out there, why not add those to the Forum as default? smile

I ended up new installing FluxBB as it did not seem to work with copying the files over the old - it still gave me the issue. But after the new install, it now works without any errors. Although I had to copy paste some of the older themes for the new version as they where not there.

I will continue on my quest wink

Thanks Franz

#16 2020-03-20 11:32:09

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Franz wrote:

Why would the Themes by default not be mobile ready? I just installed the Crunchbang theme and still it is not going into mobile mode. I wonder if there is some other setting that might be needed. I remember I needed to have something on my standard homepage for it to go into mobile mode.... dunno....

This is from my html webpage which I'm still working on:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/> <!-- not necesary? what does it do?-->
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1 user-scalable=no"/> <!--Fixes the mobile mode-->

I'll try downloading some of the Themes found on the forum and try them out... I just wonder if there is another issue here... It would have been nice to have these minor things sorted out in the real package for newcomers like me.

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-03-20 11:32:30)

#17 2020-03-20 12:00:19

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Franz - I'm now sitting on my mobile and it is terrible. No mobile mode on these forums, come on!

So Bumsenlabs and another I was pointed at... *thinking* Arch linux uses FluxBB and both of them have Mobile mode working wonderfully. As a consumer and no coder this should be default out of the package smile

Dearly regards DarkiJah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-03-20 12:01:16)

#18 2020-03-22 02:37:57

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Just an update, I've tried every single theme from this site and others...
Sadly I'm not able to get some of them from other sites that are mobile friendly.
I'm near to given up.... It's really a struggle. I've found a couple of themes that are mobile friendly and near deleted the rest. I know there exist 4 other themes that are mobile friendly but... Not sure if I can get them to look into.
One place is the Arch Linux but... I've tried to download there code with the theme and it just does not work as it should. *Sigh*

Then there is the Bunsenlabs themes - they have 3 mobile themes working but I'm banned from that. So overall my options are pretty slim for trying to figure something out. I would need to crack and look into how things are working on these themes to see if I could maybe figure something out but... well.... hmm

#19 2020-03-25 13:11:55

macadoum

Franz wrote:

Why not make Visman as an official fluxbb developper ? He seems to be the last active guy here, trying to push fluxbb forward.

#20 2020-03-25 15:41:08

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

macadoum wrote:
Franz wrote:

Why not make Visman as an official fluxbb developper ? He seems to be the last active guy here, trying to push fluxbb forward.

I would at least agree that something would need to happen. This is a wonderful Forum software, it's primary lags are issues that should be easily fixed by a programmer.

Fix the possible for Iframe out of the box, I had a lot of issues on that part.  Fix so it does not give "php"? errors by default when it is fixed in the Master. Putting Password to 9 in the master is Bullshit. And making some default Mobile friendly themes - we KNOW it is possible to do and why it has not been fixed I have no idea - this should have been done years ago to any default theme. FluxBB is working very neatly with Mobile mode after knowing nerds have toyed around with it, it can bee seen on Bunsenlabs and ArchLinux.
Personally I'm not given Flarum a chance to be my main forum - but FluxBB is still a wonderful working forum, but without the fixing of the mentioned, newbies like me are scared away from using it.

Flarum is in Beta - and I'm afraid you going to take some wacky bullshit turns with it - just the Administrator opening a new window by default, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What kind of nonsense is that??? Anyway.... Being Beta it is to be expected to have issues and there absolutely are. I'm now suspended for 7 days although reading here and there for I guess making more post then one in a row - and some of the things I'm reading.... *Sigh* So because Google, Facebook, Youtube and others have normalized craziness for most of the people you guys want to do the same???

So... And when my voice is taken down on Flarum - I have no way to point out insanity by the faulty reasoning that is put forward! You don't want to ruin it - you want it to become as usable and great and a absolute joy to use as FluxBB is when it is fully working and set-upped correctly.

Many times I just don't get the thinking of you programmers - which seems to cast out any good reasoning. Having no ability to realize what is important for the people using your product.

FluxBB is Sanity when it is fully working as seen on Netbunsen and Archlinux, it works and it does a wonderful job keeping it simple, but really people like me don't stand much of chance with the issues at hand. And not much help either to be found as the activity is very very low. sad I had one guy on Netbunsen that might have been helpful - but overall, someone with the right connections needs to collect up on the dying links and get something fixed. Anyway, at least that is what I perceive - now I've chosen Flarum and in hope it will become as great as FluxBB, but some of these talks on the forum, Sigh....

Anyway, all the Best smile
- DarkiJah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-03-25 15:56:57)

#21 Today 05:41:08

fluxerbb

macadoum wrote:

+1000

Last edited by fluxerbb (Today 05:42:08)

Board footer