Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 16:00:11

tahanson43206

How to change password in FluxBB.org web site

Hello,

Thank you for accepting my registration request today, and for sending a temporary password by email.

The login worked and everything seems to be working.

However, I cannot see a way to change my login password.

The "Profile" option would seem to be the right place to look, but a curious thing is happening.

When I open "Profile", I am presented with some options to change.

I click "Save" and FluxBB reports success in saving the options, but nothing happens after that.

My expectation is that the program would accept the options and then go on to display the full profile.

I did search for "how to change password" but most of the responses did not seem to fit the situation I am seeing.

Thanks for your consideration of this inquiry.

tahanson43206 (from NewMars.com forum as a member)

#2 2020-01-07 16:13:25

kierownik

Re: How to change password in FluxBB.org web site

at the top of profile it says there you can change your password

My GitHub Profile

#3 2020-01-07 16:30:17

tahanson43206

Thank you for your attempt to help!

This is for kierownik re Post #2

Your statement makes perfect sense, except it is for a point AFTER setting the options!

The symptom of the problem is that the Options page never clears.

Here is what I'm seeing:

FluxBB Home
You are logged in as tahanson43206 : profile | logout
HomeAboutDownloadsResourcesForumsCommunityDocumentationDevelopment
Use the opportunity to set some options to customize your browsing experience on our site.

Subscriptions
Auto-watch tickets
Check this if you want to watch tickets automatically when creating them or commenting on them. This means that you get notified of follow-up comments or changes to the ticket. Note that you will still be notified when somebody assigns the ticket to you.

Auto-use modifications
Check this if you want to be marked as "using" a modification automatically when downloading it. This means that you get notified of new releases of that modification.

If you are not seeing what I am seeing it is (no doubt) difficult to imagine this could be happening.

However, hopefully the display quoted above will be helpful.

(th)

#4 2020-01-07 22:03:19

Franz
Lead developer
Website

On your "Profile" page, there should be a "Change password" link right below your username. That takes you to a form where you can change your password, and only the password.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2020-01-08 00:23:55

tahanson43206

For Franz re #4 ...

First, thank you for taking the time to look at my report.

As you have seen in Post #3, the Profile page never appears in a normal way.

Instead, a page which I have cut and pasted appears, and it will not go away.

It does not matter if I click [X] to the two items or not.  Either way, when I click Save, the FluxBB program reports success, and then it redisplays the options page.

If there is anything more I can do to help you diagnose the problem I would be happy to do so.

However, I am hoping the log files for my logins will show in detail what is happening.

The log files should show that on multiple occasions, I clicked "safe" for the Options display, and the Profile page did not appear.

I understand that what I am seeing defies belief.  This should NOT be happening!

As a suggestion, please try creating a fake ID and see if you see the same behavior.

You may be wondering if the browser I am using is somehow behaving differently than expected.

The base system is Ubuntu 64 bits which is up to date with all patches.

The browser is Chromium, Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

I also have available Firefox on the Ubuntu system, and a Windows 10 system running Chrome and whatever the updated Microsoft browser is called. 

Thanks again for considering this inquiry!

(th)

#6 2020-01-08 01:44:19

tahanson43206

For Franz ... here is a test using FireFox on the Ubuntu system.

After clicking [Save], I see this:

FluxBB Home

You are logged in as tahanson43206 : profile | logout

Home
    About
    Downloads
    Resources
    Forums
    Community
    Documentation
    Development

Settings saved successfully.

Use the opportunity to set some options to customize your browsing experience on our site.
Subscriptions
Auto-watch tickets

Check this if you want to watch tickets automatically when creating them or commenting on them. This means that you get notified of follow-up comments or changes to the ticket. Note that you will still be notified when somebody assigns the ticket to you.
Auto-use modifications

Check this if you want to be marked as "using" a modification automatically when downloading it. This means that you get notified of new releases of that modification.

Please note the message: Settings saved successfully

There is no way to escape this options page.

(th)

#7 2020-01-08 06:06:00

Visman
Website

https://fluxbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=64030

tahanson43206 - Essentials
Enter your username and password

Username: tahanson43206

Change password <-------------------------------------

#8 2020-01-08 08:31:25

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yeah, you seem to be mixing up the forum "Profile" - available in the fat blue navigation bar below the "Forums" headline - with the small "profile" link in the global navigation bar.

The former is for your forum user account, the latter has some options relating to other functionality on this website.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#9 2020-01-08 14:53:22

tahanson43206

Thanks Franz!

You're absolutely right!  I chose the small Profile next to my User ID because it was the one my attention was drawn to.

Since it has been many years since you've been in the position of a first time visitor to  the site, I'm hoping my experience will prove helpful to the members of the community who work so hard to build and maintain this system.  The first thing a person would be expected to do after achieving first successful login is to change the password. 

The little options feature tucked right next to the User ID is a tempting black hole into which the unwary would easily fall.

The use of the word "profile" for that feature is something I hope the community will reconsider.  It is unnecessary to use that word twice.  Please enter into the review process a small item to think about what word would be better.

In any case, thanks to the three of you for your willingness to help:  Franz, Visman and kierownik.

I am appreciative of your time and suggestions!

I am here to try to help with the problem of spam registrations at the FluxBB site where I'm a member.

Best wishes to all for the year ahead.

(th)

Board footer