Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-04 14:30:31

rsqcomputers

Maintenance Mode

HI,

I'm new to FluxBB and built myself a forum about a month ago. All of a sudden I started to get unsolicited email (spam). I found out how to delete users and so on but decided to put the forum in maintenance mode so I could work on it ... only I couldn't. Maintenance mode locks everyone out including the administrator and, though I've just retired, I've used various products with maintenance mode and as I recall (I freely accept I may be wrong) that maintenance usually still lets the administrator login and do stuff.

Now I have found a way around it (apparently you add the line, "define('PUN_TURN_OFF_MAINT', 1);" to config.php) and maybe that's the way to do it but I have to ask, what's the point in maintenance mode if you can't do things to the forum whilst no one else can access it?

I mean, is there a way to stop all logons but the admin whilst the administrator mucks around with stuff?

Thanks

James

#2 2019-07-04 15:42:07

jolticz

Re: Maintenance Mode

The point in "maintenance mode" is so you can work on the forum without anybody logging on. Or in simpler terms. Its used to do "maintenance" on the forums.

#3 2019-07-04 15:55:15

rsqcomputers

jolticz wrote:

The point in "maintenance mode" is so you can work on the forum without anybody logging on. Or in simpler terms. Its used to do "maintenance" on the forums.

Which is exactly what I think it should do, only it doesn't! I can't log on as administrator so, again, I wonder what is the point?

Thx smile

James

#4 2019-07-04 16:34:46

quy
Administrator

Here is the help text for the maintenance setting.

When enabled, the board will only be available to administrators. This should be used if the board needs to be taken down temporarily for maintenance. WARNING! Do not log out when the board is in maintenance mode. You will not be able to login again.

Here is the sticky posting about it:
https://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6184

#5 2019-07-04 17:08:51

rsqcomputers

quy wrote:

Here is the help text for the maintenance setting.

When enabled, the board will only be available to administrators. This should be used if the board needs to be taken down temporarily for maintenance. WARNING! Do not log out when the board is in maintenance mode. You will not be able to login again.

Here is the sticky posting about it:
[Not Allowed To Post Links]

Yeah, I saw that ... that's where I got the config.php thing from.

But your remarks imply I should be able to log in but I can't (it logged me out immediately and I am the administrator) and when I go to the site, all I get is:

Maintenance

The forums are temporarily down for maintenance. Please try again in a few minutes.

To me, this makes no sense at all.

Thx

James

#6 2019-07-04 17:39:49

kierownik

you should first login as admin and then put it in maintenance mode.

My GitHub Profile

#7 2019-07-04 17:43:00

quy
Administrator

Please read the warning sentence. Here are steps to perform.

Enable maintenance mode which will disable login on the frontend.
Do administration tasks, but DON'T log out.
Disable maintenance mode when done.
Log out.

#8 2019-07-04 19:54:36

rsqcomputers

quy wrote:

Please read the warning sentence. Here are steps to perform.

Enable maintenance mode which will disable login on the frontend.
Do administration tasks, but DON'T log out.
Disable maintenance mode when done.
Log out.

Understood, however, it logged me out ... I wasn't given a choice as I recall.

I have now tried adding the line "define('PUN_TURN_OFF_MAINT', 1);" to config.php and all I get is a blank page, community.rocksquad.co.uk/install.php ... I can't get a logon at all.

It's looking like my forum is a bit, er, screwed!

James

#9 2019-07-06 16:56:25

Gianluigi

What if you just change maintenance mode value in the db?

#10 2019-07-06 17:04:43

Franz
Lead developer
Website

You will have to clear the cache as well, because the options are not read from the database when the cache file exists.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#11 2019-07-07 06:26:21

rsqcomputers

Gianluigi wrote:

What if you just change maintenance mode value in the db?

I don't know how to to do that. Also, does it solve the problem of how to get back into the forum given that I am currently locked out?

Franz wrote:

You will have to clear the cache as well, because the options are not read from the database when the cache file exists.

Which cache? On my browser? IF so,m surely using a completely different browser would achieve the same?

Thanks

James

#12 2019-07-07 09:41:27

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Oh sorry, no, the cache/cache_config.php file in your FluxBB install.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#13 2019-07-07 09:43:22

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Just re-read the entire discussion again: the proper workaround is to add that line in config.php.

Enabling maintenance mode should not log you out (at least not immediately). Please try to reproduce that behavior and, if it persists, we can talk about a bug report. wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#14 2019-07-07 12:15:33

rsqcomputers

Franz wrote:

Just re-read the entire discussion again: the proper workaround is to add that line in config.php.

Enabling maintenance mode should not log you out (at least not immediately). Please try to reproduce that behavior and, if it persists, we can talk about a bug report. wink

Franz,

As I said in my last but one reply, I've done that with no effect. This is what my config.php looks like at present:

<?php

// config redacted

define('PUN_TURN_OFF_MAINT', 1);

I can't reproduce anything as I can't access my forum at all ... it now goes to the install.php (blank page).

Thanks

James

EDIT: Removed sensitive data. /Franz

Last edited by Franz (2019-07-07 12:37:17)

#15 2019-07-07 12:40:52

Franz
Lead developer
Website

First of all, don't post your configuration in a public forum - those values are sensitive and you may want to change e.g. the database password now.

If your forum does not pick up the changes, this might be due to PHP opcode caching. Please check your PHP server's opcache config.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#16 2019-07-07 13:50:42

rsqcomputers

Franz wrote:

First of all, don't post your configuration in a public forum - those values are sensitive and you may want to change e.g. the database password now.

If your forum does not pick up the changes, this might be due to PHP opcode caching. Please check your PHP server's opcache config.

Thx Franz, but I honestly don't know how to do that (especially when it's a hosted site).

I'm going to give up on FluxBB and install something different.

Thanks to everyone in this thread smile

James

Board footer