Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-08 13:27:20

Pyrojon

Forum Access Question

Is it possible to limit the forums that a given user has access to?

For example if I have 3 forums (A, B, C) and 3 users (X, Y, Z), is it possible to limit forum access to each user individually?  (Say I want user X to have access to A and B and user Y to have access to A and C and maybe Z only has access to B.)

Thanks,
Jon

#2 2019-04-08 15:14:25

kierownik

Re: Forum Access Question

You can make usergroups and then let them have acces to some forums I think

My GitHub Profile

#3 2019-04-08 15:38:34

Pyrojon

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I don't think a single user can be joined to more than one Group so for that to work I would have to have a unique group for every possible combination of different Forum access possibilities.  The list of groups would be massive.

#4 2019-04-08 17:28:48

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yes, we currently only support group-specific permissions (apart from user-specific moderator rights).

May I ask why you want to manage the permissions per user? What is the exact use-case? That does not sound like an approach that scales, either. wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2019-04-08 18:43:22

Pyrojon

I am considering using a forum as a community of users of specific products that I sell.  Each product would have it's own forum and each buyer would get access to the forum only when they make a purchase.  When a user makes a purchase my shopping cart will automatically create the user account in the forum app database and provide access to the specific forum(s) at the same time. 

I believe it would actually be relatively easy to create this sort of functionality, I think a single table relating users to forums and a minor adjustment to the sql query(s) used to select the list of available forums is all that should be required. 

As for scalability, yes it would be daunting for a person to manage with a large number of users and forums but in my case the process would be mostly automated so scalability isn't really an issue.

Board footer