Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-23 02:59:25

LittleSheep

Simple question: is FluxBB dead? Flarum, or not ?!

Hello

A simple question, is the project FluxBB definitely dead?

Because I'm thinking of migrating to Flarum permanently, but it's going to take me a lot of time, which I don't have, but if I have to, I have to.

Regards,
A Little Sheep.

#2 2018-08-23 04:04:44

Visman
Website

Re: Simple question: is FluxBB dead? Flarum, or not ?!

#3 2018-08-23 07:35:59

Franz
Lead developer
Website

No. Visman is wrong.

Stay tuned. A release and more general news are definitely coming. Timeframes are hard.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#4 2018-08-23 09:28:50

DarkZero

Franz wrote:

No. Visman is wrong.

Stay tuned. A release and more general news are definitely coming. Timeframes are hard.

Hello,

Good news.

It would be good to clarify FluxBB, is that current developments will emerge? (1.5.11 or 1.6 or 2.0).

#5 2018-08-23 13:05:52

Mark

It would be good to keep FluxBB alive.
Flarum just looks like a mess. Files are just all over the place

#6 2018-08-23 19:02:07

Franz
Lead developer
Website

DarkZero wrote:

It would be good to clarify FluxBB, is that current developments will emerge? (1.5.11 or 1.6 or 2.0).

Both 1.5.11 and 1.6 are around the corner.
1.5.11 will be the last release (probably) for those stuck on old PHP versions. 1.6 is the start of careful, incremental modernization of the codebase.

Mark wrote:

Flarum just looks like a mess. Files are just all over the place

I would obviously disagree. Feel free to clarify your concerns, though. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#7 2018-08-28 18:35:35

DarkZero

Thanks for the information.

What do you think of adaur's work ? hxxps://github[.]com/featherbb/featherbb (I'm not allowed to post links).
There has been a lot of work to modernize the code.
Even if the project seems dead and not finish. Could this be a good foundation?
I think it does not distort FluxBB and could have been version 2.0

#8 2018-08-28 18:39:48

Franz
Lead developer
Website

It does have some nice ideas, but I would do things differently in a lot of details. I will lay them out more clearly for people interested in helping out.

P.S.: You should be able to post links now. Welcome! wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#9 2018-10-23 00:47:58

Gianluigi

Nice to know, do you think we will see something before the end of 2018?
I suggest also to improve a bit the forum layout in 1.6 as a new start (not talking about js, just html-css). Is a must to have responsive layout as standard now. And make it a bit more modern without lose minimal style.

(please can you remove 1800 seconds and links limit?)

#10 2018-10-23 08:24:42

Mark

Gianluigi wrote:

(please can you remove 1800 seconds and links limit?)

Is this not done in separate user groups?

#11 2018-10-23 18:35:45

Franz
Lead developer
Website

It is done automatically after a while; you have been promoted. wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#12 2018-12-15 01:46:13

Gary

I can feel the positive vibes coming on! smile

#13 2018-12-24 17:34:42

micbr

I certainly wish I were more knowledgeable when it comes to PHP. I'd absolutely be contributing to this project.

Some communities aren't well served by the larger, more extensive forum software packages, and FluxBB works extremely well in that niche segment.

Considering the slowed pace of development, and trying to estimate our future needs, I needed to consider a "Plan B" for our community, ThinkClassic. It was and still continues to be a painful experience.

The problem is no other forum software runs as fast or smoothly on a vast combination of machines and browsers as FluxBB. It works on everything, from modern computers to the Classic Macintosh (OS 9) or a Commodore Amiga with internet access. When you need a simple, no-nonsense forum software that's simple, easy to use, compatible, compact, resource efficient, simple to manage, simple to maintain and extremely easy to extend with a little basic knowledge of PHP and CSS - it's the only suitable choice. I suspect that's the reason we continue to run it, and the reason the Arch Linux Forums continue to run it. It does a brilliant job.

And as much as we would love to consider some alternatives as a fallback, they have tradeoffs. Vanilla lacks advanced search. phpBB is massive, difficult to theme and cumbersome to use. MyBB comes close, but it's significantly more difficult to theme for. Flarum looks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to building a community around it, but it's a solution to a different problem.

I know maintaining a project like this takes work, from contributors that graciously donate their time and effort. It's absolutely appreciated from communities like ours. FluxBB is a brilliant piece of software in its own right, and it serves and will continue to serve an important place in the hierarchy of discussion forum software.

One can only hope it continues to exist, even if that only means compatibility and security fixes, maybe with an occasional feature improvement if it's warranted.

(And as much as ThinkClassic requires some additional capabilities as it grows, like Private Messages and Sub-Forums, I would rather maintain a modified installation of FluxBB than move elsewhere and grapple with the problems and overheads other forum software packages bring.)

Last edited by micbr (2018-12-24 17:44:53)

Administrator, ThinkClassic - A vintage computer community.

#14 2018-12-26 23:24:48

Franz
Lead developer
Website

micbr wrote:

Some communities aren't well served by the larger, more extensive forum software packages, and FluxBB works extremely well in that niche segment.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment, which is why I plan to keep supporting FluxBB, not necessarily much in terms of features, but certainly in other areas (code modernization, security, accessibility). I think focusing on these areas will strengthen our niche. wink

If you have other ideas or requests, please feel free to reach out.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#15 2019-01-28 15:35:11

nour

Franz wrote:

No. Visman is wrong.

Amazing news,
I can understand one developers keep adding stuff and options to the software, and eventualy start to merge it to another one to build even a bigger third software system that offers many and many options.
When, on the other hand, some users, like myself, are lookingfor a simple solution just for a particular situation not a full system.
So I hope both systems continue.

Board footer