Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-16 15:59:55

jasonrohrer

Funny.... "can post links" does not prevent URLs in subject line?

Dealing with spammers still.

I've installed various captchas, including custom-coded ones that no bot has learned yet, and the spammers keep coming through the very next day.  They are human.

Finally decided to make a "New Users" group and keep them there for the first ten posts, and forbid New Users from posting links.

This works great.  Link-containing posts are literally insta-rejected.

BUT.... these crafty spammers....   they figured out that they can still put URLs in their subject lines.

They aren't functioning links, and maybe they won't work for SEO, but they're still doing it....

#2 2018-07-16 16:04:55

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Funny.... "can post links" does not prevent URLs in subject line?

Yeah, that sucks. Have you tried Akismet or something similar for catching these?

You can watch this ticket and try out the solution in this pull request. I am not sure I like this approach, as it may be legitimate to have the word "HTTP" in a subject in a developer-centric forum, for example.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2018-07-16 18:01:41

nsuchy
Developer
Website

Hi jasonrohrer,

Thanks for asking about spam prevention in FluxBB. Today spammers tactics are evolving and have become a challenge to deal with. There are a few suggestions I have to deal with the spam issue.

* Some "DDoS" mitigation companies (Cloudflare, Incapsula, Sucuri, Frantech, etc) offer "browser-check" screens that block off a lot of bots. It's not ideal and they're yet another expense and set of complications to running a website but its worth considering.
* You could use IP Blacklists from StopForumSpam or ProjectHoneypot although that tends to often block legitimate users as well.
* This honeypot add-on is worth checking out: https://fluxbb.org/resources/mods/honey … mspam-mod/
* There may also be a CAPTCHA plugin you could install to make registrations harder to abuse by bots.

As Franz mentioned, you could make manual core edits to your FluxBB install and apply https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/pull/203/files to try and mitigate the issue that way.

Cheers,
Nathaniel

#4 2018-07-17 22:12:57

jasonrohrer

Glad to know you're aware of the issue.  That pull request fixes it, it looks like.  I will try it.

As for all the usual tools, like I said, these are human spammers, not bots.

The only thing that could possibly work is some kind of IP blacklist (which seems too extreme, and will likely stop innocent people too), or Akismet, which sounds like a content-base filtering approach (like a Spam filter for email).  That doesn't sound great either....

#5 2018-07-17 22:26:33

nsuchy
Developer
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

Glad to know you're aware of the issue.  That pull request fixes it, it looks like.  I will try it.

As for all the usual tools, like I said, these are human spammers, not bots.

The only thing that could possibly work is some kind of IP blacklist (which seems too extreme, and will likely stop innocent people too), or Akismet, which sounds like a content-base filtering approach (like a Spam filter for email).  That doesn't sound great either....

If they're human spammers the only thing that will stop them is banning their IP Ranges and then deleting the content itself. It's a cat and mouse game you'll just have to hope they get bored and then remain vigilant neutral

#6 2018-07-17 22:38:27

jasonrohrer

Well, if they can't post links, then they're out of luck as spammers.  They're trying to do SEO, I'm sure.

Board footer