Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-26 11:27:36

aphirst

Show Results as Topics / Posts, Configurable Default?

Originally reported as thread #230958 on the Archlinux Forums (I'm a new user here so I can't post links), and was suggested to escalate upstream. I searched the forum for "show results as topics" and found no relevant results, so am making a new thread.

Presently, the option "Show Results as" always defaults to "Topics". I personally *always* want to search by "Posts", so consistently have to repeat my search after returning to change this option.

Is it possible that this could have a setting, where the user can specify a preference for his default value?

#2 2018-01-26 12:04:48

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Show Results as Topics / Posts, Configurable Default?

Are you suggesting a user-specific setting, or a default for the entire forum (not sure that a preference can be established for an entire user base).

I could imagine that remembering the user's last choice in a cookie may be a nice middle ground.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2018-01-26 12:33:24

aphirst

For exactly the reasons you state, I think a user-specific setting is what's necessary.

I imagine remembering the user's last choice isn't enough, though - while I essentially always want to search by Posts, if I happen to want to search by Threads one time, I don't want that to automatically change my preference, necessitating me changing it again to get my usual preferred behaviour back.

#4 2018-01-26 13:03:32

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Hmm, what about a link to the alternative view on the search results page?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2018-01-26 13:09:02

Bryan256

Interesting question , or request. I had never noticed that Archlinux Forums is using FluxBB, 
I am sure it is possible to implement a setting that could be selected and stays that way for the user, but I don't think
I would like it, as it is , it is easy enough to select the option I want when I do a search, today I might want to use the
"Show results as Posts" option, later in another search I want to show results as Topics,....

I could imagine that remembering the user's last choice in a cookie may be a nice middle ground.

Agree, that would not be to bad,  and when the user decides they want to use the other option , simply select it manually,  if they want to keep the previous selection normally they would need to remember to change the selection back to the one they usually prefer.
  I am not sure exactly what would be needed code wise, to implement this,... and then the other obstacle would be convincing the owner/admin at Archlinux Forums to take the time to edit and modify the FluxBB files as needed,...

===== edited =======

Franz: Hmm, what about a link to the alternative view on the search results page?

I did not see this when I started writing,  it is something else to think about, Would that be difficult to implement ?

Last edited by Bryan256 (2018-01-26 13:15:12)

#6 2018-01-26 13:42:45

aphirst

Bryan256 wrote:

I am sure it is possible to implement a setting that could be selected and stays that way for the user, but I don't think
I would like it, as it is , it is easy enough to select the option I want when I do a search, today I might want to use the
"Show results as Posts" option, later in another search I want to show results as Topics,....

I think I've laid out quite clearly why, at least for me, always having to select which is a pain, and why merely remembering the user's previous selection in many cases won't actually save much effort. And:

Bryan256 wrote:

if they want to keep the previous selection normally they would need to remember to change the selection back to the one they usually prefer.

is exactly the kind of messing around I'd argue it makes sense to try to avoid, and indeed, that it's entirely possible to.

To elaborate, if you sometimes want to use a different view is in no way made more complicated by having a customisable default than the current setup - indeed, it would be exactly equivalent if you were just to set "your" default to the current hardcoded default.

Would it not be possible to have BOTH 1) A "remembered default" setting AND 2) the drop-down for the current search?

@Franz: That sounds like another great idea, but (again, in my opinion) wouldn't be enough on its own.

Last edited by aphirst (2018-01-26 13:47:23)

#7 2018-01-26 14:10:31

Franz
Lead developer
Website

aphirst wrote:

I think I've laid out quite clearly why, at least for me, always having to select which is a pain, and why merely remembering the user's previous selection in many cases won't actually save much effort.

I don't quite follow. On the one hand, you argue that having to select the non-default option so often is so painful. On the other hand, having to remember to change back to your previous default after using the other option would be annoying as well - so you actually do it rather often?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#8 2018-01-26 14:44:28

aphirst

Yes, repeatedly having to change the option from the hard-coded default to the option I actually want (in 99% of cases) is indeed a pain.

Having to change my default back and forth (i.e. if the "default" was simply "remember the last setting") just to perform one search differently would also be a pain.

Having a default, and being able to choose a setting for just that search (i.e. what I personally think would be the most convenient workflow) would be at worse equivalent to the current (i.e. you prefer Topic, and have to occasionally select Post).

Additionally, being able to change between Topics and Posts having already done the search just strikes me as an obviously useful feature, although if this were the only change made, it's only barely an improvement over "only remember the previous setting".

I hope that clarifies my stance.

#9 2018-05-03 22:34:08

aphirst

Any chance of an update on this? Was I finally able to at least express the idea clearly?

#10 2018-05-09 22:49:35

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yes, thanks for clarifying!

What would you think the UI for this should look like? Having it in the user profile would be (conceptually) too far away IMO. And doing it on the search page itself in such a way that the difference between the user setting and the per-search setting becomes clear feels like a challenge.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

Board footer