Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-28 21:32:58

IgnitionSix
Website

Registration Activation by Admin + email user?

Just curious as to why such a simple (and needed, IMO) feature is missing from Flux...  I recently moved to Flux from PHPBB3 - Loving it so far due to its speed and simplicity... but one thing grinds my gears a tad - user activation.

Why is there no option to have admins or mods confirm new registrants? I've always double-checked every user by hand (even with PHPBB3) against several spam databases - even wrote a few lines of code to click-check IPs, emails, etc.

Flux should have the option to place users in a default "newly registered" group until you click approve and make member or something.

As of right now... I have created a Newly Registered group and manually move people to "members" group.

That's fine.

The problem?  They do not get any email letting them know they've been approved.

I'm getting emails asking me why new registrants haven't been approved yet - despite being moved to the members cat.

People expect a confirmation email of acceptance during the registration process... it's as widely known as "blue with underline = link" or "back button takes me back a page".

I know there is an email when you tell the board to automatically confirm folks - but I don't want automatic activation - I want manual activation.  Never had a single spammer yet and I'd like to keep it like that.

I'm just curious when something like this will become available...

Or should I just gut the code myself?

I've resorted to CTRL-C and CTRL-V to an email manually every time I approve someone - it's a pain.

>.<

#2 2011-08-14 18:27:11

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Registration Activation by Admin + email user?

Hmm, good idea.

I will try to write a plugin for this. I think this is best suited for something outside core...

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2011-09-18 23:30:44

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I started working on this, finally. Should be done very soon.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#4 2012-02-28 21:57:47

Newman

Franz wrote:

Franz is this done yet? J/w tongue

#5 2012-02-28 23:47:50

stevetheipad

Franz wrote:

Sweet, I'd like this, too!

floating on a big blue cloud somewhere above you

#6 2012-02-29 00:10:01

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Ahem, well, let's say I focused on core.

Kind of forgot about this.

It is a good idea, though, so if anybody come up with a quick and detailed spec, that might improve your chances of me / someone else doing it.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#7 2012-09-03 14:54:31

jeff

Hello,

I am new to fluxbb and was searching this feature too.

Here is a more detail "spec", as I imagine it.

1) in the admin console, options / registration : add a checkbox : "manually activate new registrations"
2) in the admin console, user groups : a group listing all new registrations to activate : name, e-mail, date of registration, with a button "activate" and a button "ban" or "refuse", perhaps with a textbox for an optionnal text to explain the reason (for my specific case : I will accept only known users)
3) when a user registers, if the option "manually activate" is on :
3.1) add him to the list of registrations to activate
3.2) send him an e-mail informing that his registration needs a confirmation by an admin
4) when an admin accept a registration :
4.1) add him in the group "Members"
4.2) delete him from the list of awaiting registrations
4.3) send an e-mail to the user to inform him
5) when an admin refuse a registration
5.1) delete him from the group of awaiting registrations
5.2) send him an e-mail to inform him, optionnally with the explaining text of the point 2).

In the point 2), instead of "activate", perhaps we could have a combo with the existing groups, and a button to add the user directly to the selected group, this action being an activation.

Hoping that it will be useful,

Jeff

#8 2013-02-19 13:30:15

xavier

Hi,

I'm looking for such a feature as well. The scenario given by jeff looks reasonable. Maybe there should be an option to inform admins via email about the registration waiting to be accepted?

What is the current status of this feature request?

#9 2013-03-27 22:18:49

swmwebdesign

Any news on this going live at all?

#10 2013-04-08 21:37:57

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Sorry, but in the interest of getting things done and learning to say no, I had to postpone my plans for this - I'll probably create an extension once we reach 2.0. wink

Maybe somebody else can jump in?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#11 2013-08-27 09:37:20

akacruiseman

It would seem to me that this feature should be moved to a higher priority as it would eliminate a good deal of extra work required to "clean house" after the people that really do not care about what they write.  A manual security step.

#12 2015-05-16 15:10:40

chainmatrix

I second the importance of this. FluxBB is otherwise very good choice as the forum of project groups and the like, but the registration activation by admin/moderator & subsequent e-mail notification would be crucially helpful in such use.

#13 2015-07-11 12:29:29

boborino

Like that too.

#14 2015-08-28 00:47:26

guedes

Well, i start to use this fluxbb last month, but just now i realized a problem. When guests try to register in my forum, they receive only in junk e-mail. What i have to do to fix this?

#15 2015-08-28 07:29:26

chris98
Website

You can't. Most likely, something on your server has been blacklisted for email spam and you're using the same shared IP address.

You can check here: http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Last edited by chris98 (2015-08-28 07:30:18)

#16 2015-08-28 09:25:28

GWR

Once you got blacklisted you might stay there for a long time.

I am only blacklisted at spamcannibal.org (for months now) (just check "gamezworld.de" with mxtoolbox.com) - it even survived a server move (new IP) and I am sure that for now I do not send spam (according to the logs of postfix / logwatch).
There were even blacklists wanting money from the webmasters to unlist them. Maybe this was one of the reasons for the latest spam attack on the big mail providers (eg. german telecom).

Nonetheless: it is always a good idea to check other webservices on what they think about you :-)

bye
Ron

#17 2017-02-20 22:25:23

heycheri

We're having issues with users getting their confirmation emails. This is already affecting our ability to drive new and excited users to the forum. sad

#18 2017-02-21 12:13:13

chris98
Website

Have you considered using an external SMTP service, such as GMail?

#19 2017-11-07 01:20:15

magdrides

Having just subscribed to this forum,  I'm testing out the subscription.

Board footer