Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-05 14:03:25

jojaba
Website

French lang Pack utf8 for V.1.4

Hello smile
I posted yesterday this message : http://fluxbb.org/forums/post/26690/#p26690
Well, it took longer to update it than to convert all packs !
Anyway, here's the French lang Pack I propose : French lang Pack UTF-8 encoded (made some correction on old pack and added the new strings)
A proofreading would be welcome (I tried to register to the French community site but it doesn't work...) !
wink

Here's the last package available:

Last edited by jojaba (2010-03-05 21:21:59)

Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

#2 2009-12-07 12:51:35

Mpok

Re: French lang Pack utf8 for V.1.4

jojaba wrote:

I tried to register to the French community site but it doesn't work...)

I'm the French community admin. What's the problem u have ?

#3 2009-12-07 13:39:53

jojaba
Website

Mpok wrote:
jojaba wrote:

I tried to register to the French community site but it doesn't work...)

I'm the French community admin. What's the problem u have ?

I sent you a mail about that wink

#4 2010-01-08 18:41:46

jojaba
Website

I would like to update this french translation for 1.4-RC1. I began but there still some strings that are not displayed when using this update (mainly in profile administration). I saw that some lines were deleted and others added, I guess other stuff changed... Is there a way to compare using Trac (I'm not familiar of this application) the english language pack of beta2 version with the RC1 version ?

#5 2010-01-08 18:59:03

Reines
Administrator
Website

Yup, this should be what you're after I think: http://fluxbb.org/trac/changeset?old_pa … ng/English

It seems in some cases the only changes are related to whitespace, so there isn't as many changes as it first looks tongue

#6 2010-01-08 20:14:40

jojaba
Website

Reines wrote:

Yup, this should be what you're after I think: http://fluxbb.org/trac/changeset?old_pa … ng/English
It seems in some cases the only changes are related to whitespace, so there isn't as many changes as it first looks tongue

Great ! Thanks a lot. (can I generate this type of diffs by myself, or is this feature only available for developper ?)
Indeed, not many changes. big_smile
Main changes : "E-mail" replaced by "Email", "e-mail" replaced by "email" in the left elements in several files (profile.php, prof_reg.php, ...) and in common.php the "// Stuff for include/parser.php" has been completely changed. This informations should be interesting for other translators wink !

Finally, here's the updated Package : FR language Pack for FluxBB 1.4-RC1 (*.ZIP file, 20 kb)
Voici le paquetage mis à jour : Paquetage FR pour FluxBB 1.4-RC1 (fichier *.ZIP, 20 kio)

smile

#7 2010-01-08 20:50:59

Reines
Administrator
Website

You can generate it yourself here, just enter the 2 paths you wish to compare and the revision numbers to compare (you can leave blank to use the default, i.e. the latest revision).

For example, to generate the one above put From as "/fluxbb/tags/fluxbb-1.4-beta2/upload/lang/English" and To as "/fluxbb/tags/fluxbb-1.4-rc1/upload/lang/English" then leave the revisions blank. You can use the "Browse source" link to find the correct path to use, if you need.

#8 2010-01-13 05:12:06

Jérémie
Website

Just looked at it, nice but there's a lot of typographic issues. Single straight quotes instead of apostrophes, most spaces before double punctuation are regular space instead of non-breaking ones, entities instead of glyphs, these are the most visible.

There's also the recurrent topic of using Courriel instead of Email.

I can pitch in, but I would need to get the latest revision and get it frozen a couple of days while I work on it, unless those files are stored in SVN somewhere.

Let me know.

Last edited by Jérémie (2010-01-13 05:12:36)

#9 2010-01-13 07:44:37

Mpok

Jérémie wrote:

Single straight quotes instead of apostrophes, most spaces before double punctuation are regular space instead of non-breaking ones, entities instead of glyphs, these are the most visible.

Not tested yet, but if exact, ur right Jérémie... utf-8 HAS to be USED (now we have it).

Jérémie wrote:

On contrary, i don't follow you on that one...
"Courriel" had NEVER get used in French general language. It's just the "official" translation (and within these terms ur right), but majority users still use "Email". French Academy tries to translate EVERY word from english, ok, that's their job. But they aren't right everytimes. In the way u can't imagine to "localize" a word as "week-end", i think that u can't localize "email".

#10 2010-01-13 08:16:39

jojaba
Website

Hello Jérémie smile
Nice to read you, I was looking to have an answer from you since you are, if I'm right, the original translator of this application (I saw also eureka work in it...)

Jérémie wrote:

Just looked at it, nice but there's a lot of typographic issues. Single straight quotes instead of apostrophes, most spaces before double punctuation are regular space instead of non-breaking ones, entities instead of glyphs, these are the most visible.

About the the entities, In the current English pack of the public site translation there are also entities, so...

That's a point we should discuss...

I can pitch in, but I would need to get the latest revision and get it frozen a couple of days while I work on it, unless those files are stored in SVN somewhere.
Let me know.

Thanks for your cooperation ! lie2815 talked about an online translation platform for the packages. As soon as this platform is ready we should work on it wink
I suggest you (both Mpok and you) to continue this discussion on the French forums, it will be easier for me wink
The topic : http://www.punbb.fr/forums/viewtopic.ph … 872#p84872

Last edited by jojaba (2010-01-13 09:28:46)

#11 2010-01-13 08:37:46

Mpok

It's OBVIOUS that discuss should be on French Community's....

But i'm waiting to Jérémie...

@Jérémie : I know u had "pbms" with PREVIOUS direction of French's Site (it changed). Let's go over the past, and let's work (or try to..) together.

#12 2010-01-13 09:33:20

jojaba
Website

Mpok wrote:

It's OBVIOUS that discuss should be on French Community's....

But i'm waiting to Jérémie...

@Jérémie : I know u had "pbms" with PREVIOUS direction of French's Site (it changed). Let's go over the past, and let's work (or try to..) together.

Well I didn't know that story, I'm too new to FluxBB...
I can only say that cooperation and team work is the only way to bring a translation (or other projects) to a good level. Let's share our experiences to move forward wink

#13 2010-01-13 09:35:29

Franz
Lead developer
Website

jojaba wrote:

Thanks for your cooperation ! lie2815 talked about an online translation platform for the packages. As soon as this platform is ready we should work on it wink
I suggest you (both Mpok and you) to continue this discussion on the French forums, it will be easier for me wink

That'll take a while. I suggest you go for it now.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#14 2010-01-13 09:50:05

Franz
Lead developer
Website

jojaba wrote:
Jérémie wrote:

About the the entities, In the current English pack of the public site translation there are also entities, so...

You were right. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've changed it in [1250]. The left-over ones ( ) should stay what they are.

Last edited by Franz (2010-01-13 09:50:46)

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#15 2010-01-13 09:55:53

jojaba
Website

lie2815 wrote:

You were right. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've changed it in [1250]. The left-over ones ( ) should stay what they are.

There seems to be an encoding problem. Instead of ... My browser display 
 on youy changeset!
Why no HTML entities ? Does some browser not support these elements ?

Last edited by jojaba (2010-01-13 09:56:31)

#16 2010-01-13 09:58:46

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I know. Trac has been doing that forever. It's fine. It really is the UTF-8 equivalent of an ellipsis (…).

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#17 2010-01-13 10:03:35

jojaba
Website

lie2815 wrote:

I know. Trac has been doing that forever. It's fine. It really is the UTF-8 equivalent of an ellipsis (…).

Can you give me the code you used please, so that I can change this in the French translation ? wink

#18 2010-01-13 10:05:33

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Just copy the character I posted. It should only be one instead of three. Alternately, you can download the English SVN folder and copy it from there. Or, third option: type "..." (three dots) in MS Word and they should automatically be transformed into a single "…" (ellipsis) character.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#19 2010-01-13 10:15:07

jojaba
Website

lie2815 wrote:

Just copy the character I posted. It should only be one instead of three. Alternately, you can download the English SVN folder and copy it from there. Or, third option: type "..." (three dots) in MS Word and they should automatically be transformed into a single "…" (ellipsis) character.

Oh I see ! On Windows I hit the following keys : Alt + 0133 wink Is that the good way ?

#20 2010-01-17 13:09:41

Jérémie
Website

Mpok wrote:

utf-8 HAS to be USED (now we have it).

It's more complex than that, there's some backward compatibility to take into account. But wholesaling, yes.

Jérémie wrote:

On contrary, i don't follow you on that one...
"Courriel" had NEVER get used in French general language.

You missed the point. I just said it's a recurring topic because Courriel is the word enforced by the state, while it's never used on a day to day basis; as you mentioned.

And by the way, I tend to strongly agree to your point of view. On my translations of PunBB I never used Courriel, it was punbb.fr who get it back in their own adaptation of my lang pack.

That doesn't mean it's not a topic that shouldn't be debated.

jojaba wrote:

Hello Jérémie smile
Nice to read you, I was looking to have an answer from you since you are, if I'm right, the original translator of this application (I saw also eureka work in it...)

I'm the second one. I did it pretty much from scratch iirc, but there was another translator in 1.0 (and maybe 1.1) branch. Can't remember his name though.

The topic : http://www.punbb.fr/forums/viewtopic.ph … 872#p84872

Not for me, I don't use it. But I'll take a look.

lie2815 wrote:

Any specifics as to why you want to keep entities for non-breaking space? Server issue, client issue?

On my absolutely not extended testing, the utf8 glyph for nbsp works fine. But if there's a reason to keep it as entity, you should use the numeric one #160;. It's a small thing, but it has better compatibility with older (as in, realllllly older) UA.

Last edited by Jérémie (2010-01-17 13:13:36)

#21 2010-01-17 13:15:50

Jérémie
Website

jojaba wrote:

Oh I see ! On Windows I hit the following keys : Alt + 0133 wink Is that the good way ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Just use … copy&paste it if you need smile

#22 2010-01-17 13:34:38

Paul
Developer

Just about the first thing I did on 1.3 was a massive search/replace to convert   to #160; not specifically because of utf8 but because   isn't actually valid xml.

The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

#23 2010-01-17 17:08:04

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Jérémie wrote:
lie2815 wrote:

Any specifics as to why you want to keep entities for non-breaking space? Server issue, client issue?
On my absolutely not extended testing, the utf8 glyph for nbsp works fine.

I guess so. However, it would suck for translators who wouldn't see (and probably wouldn't think or bother of checking) that this is a non-breaking space. So, I wouldn't suggest using the UTF-8 character in that special case.

Jérémie wrote:

But if there's a reason to keep it as entity, you should use the numeric one #160;. It's a small thing, but it has better compatibility with older (as in, realllllly older) UA.

Since I don't have a clue about this, I guess we'll just follow what Paul said wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#24 2010-01-17 17:12:18

Reines
Administrator
Website

Just for anyone confused reading this, that should be   not just #160; tongue

#25 2010-01-17 17:41:19

Paul
Developer

I don't know about the language files, but the truth is just about all the non-breaking spaces in the core files could actually be disposed of. These days white-space: nowrap should work consistently in browsers even IE6.

The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

Board footer