Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-07-27 17:04:12

simonov
Member
From: Reno, NV
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 28

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

hcgtv wrote:

You might say to yourself that small and light don't mean much, it's the wizz-bang features that denote a good piece of software.

Small, light and secure are what matter the most to me, as long as you can also customize it without borking the entire forum.

But most people prefer bling.


Nunc est bibendum.

Offline

#52 2009-07-27 18:36:14

Paul
Developer
From: Wales, UK
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,653

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

A good piece of software is one that does what I want, how I want, when I want. Nothing more, nothing less.


The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

Offline

#53 2009-07-27 20:17:55

hcgtv
Member
From: Charlotte, NC
Registered: 2008-05-07
Posts: 463
Website

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

Paul, I agree, I like small apps that do their job well, nothing more.

I used to be a big fan of ACDSee, back in the 3.1 days. Since then, it's turned into bloatware, glad I came across XnView. This is just one example of a successful piece of software going after their competition in order to gain more users and leaving their loyal base to hang out in the wind.

Of course that's desktop software but web based software does suffer from the same fate. But as simonov points out, it's the Bling that most people look for first, which is why in a sea of thousands of web based software titles, only a handful gain popularity due to their extensive checklist of features. Which as we know from studies done on Microsoft Office, most users only use like 20 percent of the features but want the other 80 percent just to feel like they are using a superior product.

Getting back on track, I've never understood how PunBB extensions were going to make the purchase of the copyright worth it. Since our loyal base was always people looking for less bling, not more features.

Offline

#54 2009-07-27 21:41:12

Paul
Developer
From: Wales, UK
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,653

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

hcgtv wrote:

Paul, I agree, I like small apps that do their job well, nothing more.

I used to be a big fan of ACDSee, back in the 3.1 days. Since then, it's turned into bloatware, glad I came across XnView. This is just one example of a successful piece of software going after their competition in order to gain more users and leaving their loyal base to hang out in the wind.

The biggest offender is a piece of cd/dvd burning software called Nero. Back in the day Nero 4 was a superb burner which knocked spots off the competition. Now it takes longer to install than Adobe Creative Suite and MS Office combined and has a huge overhead.

hcgtv wrote:

Which as we know from studies done on Microsoft Office, most users only use like 20 percent of the features but want the other 80 percent just to feel like they are using a superior product.

Or have to use it because thats what all the secretaries etc were trained on.

hcgtv wrote:

Getting back on track, I've never understood how PunBB extensions were going to make the purchase of the copyright worth it. Since our loyal base was always people looking for less bling, not more features.

Agreed. I never understood what their business model was and neither did anyone else including Rickard.


The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

Offline

#55 2009-07-27 21:54:40

hcgtv
Member
From: Charlotte, NC
Registered: 2008-05-07
Posts: 463
Website

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

Paul wrote:

The biggest offender is a piece of cd/dvd burning software called Nero.

This is a good article on free alternatives to Nero, I use InfraRecorder when I need to burn a CD on Windows but I normally burn CD's and DVD's on my Linux machine.

Offline

#56 2009-08-18 21:27:27

hcgtv
Member
From: Charlotte, NC
Registered: 2008-05-07
Posts: 463
Website

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

Just a follow up on alternatives to Nero, ImgBurn in now my preferred Windows burning app.

I removed Nero, which came with my computer, had to run CCleaner to clean out the registry cause the uninstall left a lot of junk behind.

Offline

#57 2009-08-18 22:23:43

Paul
Developer
From: Wales, UK
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,653

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

ImgBurn is what I use. That latest versions advanced mode actually reminds me of early versions of Nero. BTW I also use CCleaner.

PS. I finally learned to love Textpattern but only with your template saving/updating plugin.


The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

Offline

#58 2009-08-18 22:36:56

hcgtv
Member
From: Charlotte, NC
Registered: 2008-05-07
Posts: 463
Website

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

Paul wrote:

PS. I finally learned to love Textpattern but only with your template saving/updating plugin.

Cool, simplicity does have it's merits smile

Offline

#59 2009-11-12 03:44:28

quaker
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2008-05-09
Posts: 90
Website

Re: How to screw up an Open Source project

It has been like a yr since i last login.. wow.... same talks as before.... lmao....

HCGtv remember what I got you started on... well I got a few new kewl sites...hahaha...

Basically why I started punbb was the great damn support and the fast response... That how I have a large amount of friends is from here.. Which I don't see online much anymore...
It seem always with time things fade away even if it is a great Idea at the time....

Long live frontpage mod for punbb 1.5 lmao.... I used that for a long time...
then me and a few started hacking at our own version of frontpage mod.... which came to megapun... version 1,000,000.

Ok I will shut up now... Peace out !!

Q


My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB