Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-25 20:02:39

saxamo
Website

Rules Page

Hello there,

Just want you to know that when you type stuff into the rules input field under settings it does not properly format.  People should be aware either on that page or (* it should happen automatically ) that they need to write in proper html / xhtml to format the rules page.  Just a suggestion.

I also noticed that images are resized to the size of the forums nicely.  However, once I have them inside my template  I would still prefer to set a default image size for posts this way I know all the images on the site are the same size and keep things clean and neat.  Images that are smaller then the default size should be stretched to meet the admin set default size.  Zoom should be taken care of by HighSlide JS script, not new open blank windows with image in it.  Just another suggestion. big_smile

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Saxamo

http://www.saxamo.com

#2 2009-06-25 20:38:02

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

Re: Rules Page

saxamo wrote:

Just want you to know that when you type stuff into the rules input field under settings it does not properly format.  People should be aware either on that page or (* it should happen automatically ) that they need to write in proper html / xhtml to format the rules page.

To be clear, there is no improper formatting going on. The options page says "Here you can enter any rules or other information that the user must review and accept when registering. If you enabled rules above you have to enter something here, otherwise it will be disabled. This text will not be parsed like regular posts and thus may contain HTML."

saxamo wrote:

I also noticed that images are resized to the size of the forums nicely.  However, once I have them inside my template  I would still prefer to set a default image size for posts this way I know all the images on the site are the same size and keep things clean and neat.  Images that are smaller then the default size should be stretched to meet the admin set default size.  Zoom should be taken care of by HighSlide JS script, not new open blank windows with image in it.

That is certainly a feature that could be implemented by a modification. In general, it's not a good idea to scale up images to meet a height/width requirement (it would horribly distort small images) and the way FluxBB works now deals with larger images.

#3 2009-06-25 21:10:31

Paul
Developer

Scaling up images doesn't work. If somebody posts a selection of smilies you could get a 1000px x 1000px smilie which is not good.

The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

#4 2009-06-25 21:21:58

saxamo
Website

To be clear, there is no improper formatting going on. The options page says "Here you can enter any rules or other information that the user must review and accept when registering. If you enabled rules above you have to enter something here, otherwise it will be disabled. This text will not be parsed like regular posts and thus may contain HTML."

uhmm.... why would anyone ever want a block of text with no formatting?  Everyone that puts rules in this box or any other is going to want it to format the way they type it out. 

it's not a good idea to scale up images to meet a height/width requirement (it would horribly distort small images)

true, but who posts images of anything that are not at least 640x480 today?  usually they are even larger.  Having something scale up on forums these days would be far and few between if any.  Seriously..

I like the idea of mods, but what you are saying here and in other posts is that unless someone comes along and decides to create a mod that support usually ends on once they go to some thing bigger and better all bets are off.  Unless FluxxBB is going to create these mods how can the user ever hope to have a working mod in their life time.  As a user who has gone through hundreds of scripts, mod, forum, cms's etc... the one thing they all have in common that I hate, is that they never do what you need them too.. They do what the owner wants it too and leaves it up to other people to create things that take months to get working.. Meanwhile "US" the users play the waiting game in HOPES that what we want to do on our site ever gets finished. 

All I can tell you is that idealism sucks..

Fluxbb is better then this.. I really hoped.  Keeping the faith too. 

Formatting is a must for any user that wants to use a simple forum.  If you want to limit the script to people who NEED to be versed in HTML and XHTML etc.. then that is fine.. But then don't claim to be an easy, simple, fast, reliable forum.  You can keep the fast claim though and you might want to add featureless  to it.

I am not putting down fluxbb at all!  I swear.. since i know a little html, compliance, scripting etc.. I can handle it..

I just wish that someone would make a forum that does the most obvious things normally....  One day..

Thanks

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#5 2009-06-25 21:44:59

saxamo
Website

Paul wrote:

Scaling up images doesn't work. If somebody posts a selection of smilies you could get a 1000px x 1000px smilie which is not good.

I disagree.. if implemented properly it has its usage.  I have seen it in other forum software and it was a blessing.  I could control what size all images on my site were going to be and if your camera did not work at that standard resolution then tough.  Most people shoot images today at 1024 or larger.  Setting a default size of all images less then 100x100 or 400x300 works for IMAGES.  I could care less about smiles.  lol who would put a picture of a smile on the forum?  Is this something that normally happens?

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#6 2009-06-25 22:00:03

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

uhmm.... why would anyone ever want a block of text with no formatting?  Everyone that puts rules in this box or any other is going to want it to format the way they type it out.

Not really.

As I said, no formatting is done, It is up to the administrator to put in HTML as necessary. Whether the administrator wants to use an ordered list, manually number and use <br />s, or embed an iframe to another rules page is entirely up to them. If you format it like a post, you lose that flexibility: everyone has to do their rules without HTML.

true, but who posts images of anything that are not at least 640x480 today?  usually they are even larger.  Having something scale up on forums these days would be far and few between if any.  Seriously..

Again, that may be true for your forum but assuming that holds true for everyone is presumptuous.

For instance: how big is the average avatar? signature image? logos for companies? smilies? There are an incredibly large number of images which are smaller than 640x480.

I like the idea of mods, but what you are saying here and in other posts is that unless someone comes along and decides to create a mod that support usually ends on once they go to some thing bigger and better all bets are off. Unless FluxxBB is going to create these mods how can the user ever hope to have a working mod in their life time.  As a user who has gone through hundreds of scripts, mod, forum, cms's etc... the one thing they all have in common that I hate, is that they never do what you need them too.. They do what the owner wants it too and leaves it up to other people to create things that take months to get working.. Meanwhile "US" the users play the waiting game in HOPES that what we want to do on our site ever gets finished.

You can not expect that people will, without any expectation of payment, write custom software that suits your needs and support such software indefinitely. Custom software development is most definitely something you pay for. wink

The nature of free open source software is that people develop such software because they are motivated by a personal desire to do so. Thus, the software that develops is motivated by the desires of the people writing it. In the case of PunBB/FluxBB, the original code grew out of a desire by the original developer, Rickard, to develop fast, lightweight forum software.

If you want software that fits your needs exactly, you can either write it yourself or pay someone to do so for you. Otherwise, you can look at the software available and see how it matches your needs. If you find software that is close to what you need but is missing a few features, you can ask for help getting those features, either in the form of a feature request or a modification request (or whatever the equivalent is for other software).

Formatting is a must for any user that wants to use a simple forum.  If you want to limit the script to people who NEED to be versed in HTML and XHTML etc.. then that is fine.. But then don't claim to be an easy, simple, fast, reliable forum.  You can keep the fast claim though and you might want to add featureless  to it.

I am not putting down fluxbb at all!  I swear.. since i know a little html, compliance, scripting etc.. I can handle it..

So, you're calling the software featureless but you're not insulting it? Really? You might want to choose your wording a little more carefully in the future. wink

As I said, the formatting requirement is clearly stated. Anyone who has trouble with it can ask in the forum and they will have it explained to them. Nobody NEEDS to know HTML to use the software (although it's easy enough that anybody who wants to seriously consider running a forum should know it).

I disagree.. if implemented properly it has its usage.  I have seen it in other forum software and it was a blessing.  I could control what size all images on my site were going to be and if your camera did not work at that standard resolution then tough.

If that's your attitude on your website, fine. That's the wrong attitude to take when you're writing software intended to be used by other people. "My way or the highway" is a good way to get your site ignored by users.

Most people shoot images today at 1024 or larger.  Setting a default size of all images less then 100x100 or 400x300 works for IMAGES.  I could care less about smiles.  lol who would put a picture of a smile on the forum?  Is this something that normally happens?

How about a forum for people who make sprites? What about a forum for logos? I've laid out some other examples above. Most sites do not have people routinely posting high-quality photographs. However, if they do, FluxBB handles it fine. Scaling up, on the other hand, is nothing but trouble.

#7 2009-06-25 22:10:46

saxamo
Website

okay.. so who do I pay to have your software do what I need it too?  Making sure that when updates come out for the next release that it does not Flux up my forums?  Cause if you are putting it out there then name your price.  I would rather pay and have it do what I need then not pay and hope ONE DAY it does what I knew it always should.

What you wrote is very good up there.. Once you think about what you said it makes sense.. ( not the image thing though, you can always scale down to 100x100 or even less meaning any image posted on the site will be a certain size regardless.  Once people start using the forums they will catch on.  It keeps the crap off ) You are correct I cannot expect anything out there for free, done on peoples own time to ever be what I want it too.  I guess I have to rely on MS from now on.  At least you know they will always be there.

You know what suxs.  I REALLY like this forum software.. I REALLY DO!  If I could just get it installed on my site with my header and footer I would probably leave you alone.  If you have any time I BEG of you to do a small tutorial on what files to edit, remove, what to add ( specifically ) to achive this some place on this site for wordpress.  It will set you aside from any other software out there.

Hey look at fluxbb.. They even explain how to implement it into wordpress.  NOT BRIDGE IT, but make it look like your site..  Great software to use..

Help me out here.. I really want to stick with this software..

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#8 2009-06-25 22:15:24

saxamo
Website

How about a forum for people who make sprites? What about a forum for logos? I've laid out some other examples above. Most sites do not have people routinely posting high-quality photographs. However, if they do, FluxBB handles it fine. Scaling up, on the other hand, is nothing but trouble.

That is fine.. how do I make the image that is put into the page scale down?  Do you think that this looks good being the entire width of the page?  IF I did not set the width of the forums to 930px that image would be the size of the entire screen?  no one would ever see my text.

http://www.saxamo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1

every time someone comes to that page instead of the image being scaled down ( smaller k to show ) it is showing the entire 600k each time.. Is that correct?  So much for fast?  add about 10 of those photos to that page or 50 and each time that page renders so does 5 to 30MB's.  If this is wrong tell me.. I may not understand completely.  I might be wrong here.

Last edited by saxamo (2009-06-25 22:19:27)

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#9 2009-06-25 22:21:47

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

okay.. so who do I pay to have your software do what I need it too?  Making sure that when updates come out for the next release that it does not Flux up my forums?  Cause if you are putting it out there then name your price.  I would rather pay and have it do what I need then not pay and hope ONE DAY it does what I knew it always should.

Sure, I do freelance work. Send me an email through the forum detailing what work you would like to have done and I can give you a quote for what I expect it will cost.

You are correct I cannot expect anything out there for free, done on peoples own time to ever be what I want it too.  I guess I have to rely on MS from now on.  At least you know they will always be there.

That's not a good example either. You are paying Microsoft for a product they sell, you're not paying for software development. If you wanted a custom feature added, you would be out of luck: since Microsoft sells closed-source software, they're the only ones who could possibly help you (and you would need a very large check for them to help you). wink

You know what suxs.  I REALLY like this forum software.. I REALLY DO!  If I could just get it installed on my site with my header and footer I would probably leave you alone.  If you have any time I BEG of you to do a small tutorial on what files to edit, remove, what to add ( specifically ) to achive this some place on this site for wordpress.  It will set you aside from any other software out there.

Except perhaps for bbPress. wink

This is from the documentation which was at one point on the wiki (at least I think it was). See if it helps:

3.3 - How do I add my own footer/header so that I can integrate my forums into design of the rest of my website?
    For this purpose, PunBB has a simple template system. The template files are located in include/template/. There are five templates - main.tpl, admin.tpl, help.tpl, maintenance.tpl and redirect.tpl. The file main.tpl contains the template for almost all pages that are displayed in the forum, admin.tpl is the template for the admin interface, help.php is for the help screen, maintenance.tpl is the template for the message page that is displayed when the forum is put in maintenance mode, and finally the file redirect.tpl is used to display the redirect pages e.g. when logging in or when posting a message.
    The templates contain variables that are replaced with actual content when a page is displayed. All variables in PunBB are enclosed in less-than and more-than signs (< and >). For example, the variable for the title of the forums is called <pun_title>. When PunBB displays the index page, it reads the file main.tpl and replaces <pun_title> with the title of the forums. There are 11 replacement variables in main.tpl.
    If you want to customize the look of PunBB so that it fits the design of other pages on your website, it is primarily the template files you should edit. For example, if you wanted to add your own logo at the top of all forum pages, you would edit main.tpl and add markup for displaying your logo at the appropriate position in the file. It is possible to include PHP scripts from the templates. See the next FAQ entry for more info on that.

every time someone comes to that page instead of the image being scaled down ( smaller k to show ) it is showing the entire 600k each time.. Is that correct?  So much for fast?  add about 10 of those photos to that page or 50 and each time that page renders so does 5 to 30MB's.  If this is wrong tell me.. I may not understand completely.  I might be wrong here.

You're talking about the images being physically scaled and stored locally on the server as opposed to just visually scaled. FluxBB avoids that approach for several reasons:
- FluxBB would then need to download all of the images before rendering the page. Depending on the number of images, their size, and the slowness of their servers, the server could easily be overwhelmed.
- The cached image could be hotlinked, allowing the forums to be used as image hosts.

#10 2009-06-25 22:30:26

saxamo
Website

Wow... I guess I have to be in the mood for this..  and what do I do when 1.4 becomes 2.0?  redo it all over again while the forums are live hoping that I don't forget anything.. man.. why do these things have to be so hard.  What happen to the good old days when if you wanted some content in a page all you did was copy it over into a new page.  I have not got the first clue on what to cut from my wordpress installation and put into the main.tpl file or whatever.. I am going to write you and I will pay you to do it for me.  Once it is done then I can just refer back to the changes you made in the past.  I have a funny feeling if this takes you an hour or 2 at the most it would be a lot.  Where as for me I will still be trying some time into next week and still not have it right or know what to do the next time you upgrade the software.

What do you think?

Except perhaps for bbPress. wink

that software sucks and the pm system is garbage. Worst forums I have ever used.

Last edited by saxamo (2009-06-25 22:33:26)

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#11 2009-06-25 22:37:23

saxamo
Website

If you look at my shop you will notice that the image here is 1 image scaled down by the shop software and when you click on it, it takes you to the information page displaying another image scaled down as well from the one image that was uploaded or linked too, that you can see by clicking on the image on the information page

http://www.saxamo.com/shop/  - please just check it out...

That is what I want my forums one day to do.  One image changed 3 ways by the software and displayed the way I want it on my site.

That would be awesome!

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#12 2009-06-25 23:01:28

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

Unless I'm mistaken, those are images you uploaded to the server, not images someone randomly posted in a forum. Not the same situation at all. wink

#13 2009-06-25 23:42:17

saxamo
Website

okay, but that is what I want to happen wink  I know that one forum software does it.  It might be simplepress, simpleforums, bbpress.  I have tried so many in the last week I have no idea which one it was. but not matter what image link was added to the forum.  I controlled the size of that image from the admin console in width only.  It displayed it at the width I chose and scaled up or down to meet it.  It worked well.  Sorry I just don't know which one it was any more.

Now how about I contact you so that I can get my forums integrated with my template, so it looks like this:

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 … rums-2.jpg

I will send you an email.. create you an admin account, whatever you need.. just let me know a price to get this working and then maybe a 5 minute chat on my chatroom about future upgrades and what I need to remember. 

thanks again for the chat.. it helps

Kind regards,
Saxamo

#14 2009-06-25 23:54:33

Paul
Developer

We experimented a long time ago with scaling images which were stored on remote servers using getimagesize() in parser.php. The idea was simply to get the actual image size and then set its height and width attributes based on the result. It worked wonderfully when tested locally but as soon as we tested it in the real world with images on unreliable remote servers the rendering of posts froze completely.

The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

#15 2009-06-26 00:02:51

saxamo
Website

Thanks for the explanation Paul.. Nice to see the admin online and chiming in.  I am going to post one more thing for 1.4 in it's own thread.  I already added it to the feature request appended to another thread.  I think this one deserves attention.

Kind regards,
Saxamo

Board footer