Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-20 22:08:37

privacy

fluxbb 1.5 (latest) disadvantages / current main problems

Hello,

I want to run some lightweight forum. What fluxbb disadvantages for no?  I found it's not mobile friendly. What else?

Thanks

#2 2020-08-21 15:29:22

DenisVS

Re: fluxbb 1.5 (latest) disadvantages / current main problems

The mobile friendliness depends on used theme solely.
Major drawback of this forum is tricky enhancing of the functional by the mods that requires the grasp of PHP

#3 2020-09-25 10:10:51

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life
Banned

privacy wrote:

Hello,

I want to run some lightweight forum. What fluxbb disadvantages for no?  I found it's not mobile friendly. What else?

Thanks

I wanted a lightweight forum as well, FluxBB WAS the best and my first choice - tryed to set it up and with mobility but overall I gave up on it.
The programmers messed up and they parted from each other working each on there own projects and when people are already leaving the old time sanity things and going for the new nonsense, thereby the PHP forums in decline, well, then all projects dies. 3 Projects if I recall correct was made outside FluxBB, I guess it is called fork. In any case, anyone with some reasoning could conclude that, that would fail. In replacement of working together they drowned the boat. This is absolutly the best lightweight Forum, and really overall the best PHP forum in the old school style.

It just needed an update for Mobility and some fixes here and there - but nope, they sank the boat, seemingly themself drowning the project.

Now Franz is on Flarum, a modern style thing of new modern ideas with Tags in replacement of forum rooms. There are some themes that could do mobility and some of the forums still running has fixed it so it runs nice on Mobiles. I don't know why it would be so hard for the programmers to get on it in the past to make it all mobile ready for easy install of newbies like myself. In the end I gave up on it and having used months on figuring out what to use and what to do - I'm now toying around with the PHP forum SMF. I don't know... But at least they jumped into mobility with there Beta and there seem to be possibilites of maybe making the 2 Themes from here on SMF and maybe with some improvements as well.

So after I gave up on FluxBB after a lot of research I settled on Flarum, I thought - but after the banning from their forum, trying it out given this new modern thing a chance - it's kinda downhill without any support for something. Well, the burning fire for that went down and became cold coal. Here was one of my tries with making it look like the FluxBB Crunchbang theme, https://crunchbang.flarum.cloud/

I thought Flarum might be the only way to go after FluxBB keeping it minimal and Franz being the head of the FluxBB project - but... No support, no go, and killed. I tried to give the new modern thing a change - but I'm really not sure about this new thing, like why change something which has worked for ages and use Tags. I never got the same overlook like on FluxBB which is just simple and easy to overlook, and was actually very confused using Flarum but I gave it a chance. So when I after a lot of thoughts, thought I settle on that and give it a go - then the banning came around and in the end I gave up on that.

So... After some month looking around, trying to make time solve things for. I'm now trying SMF again - I might be able to make it look like Crunchbang theme as FluxBB style with my own ideas. But really it was pretty near perfect, FluxBB and all.
I gave up on SMF after some thinking first, because it was still in Beta with Mobility and who knows when they have a stable for release, might take years, dunno. their RC3 is just around the corner as far as I understand but still some way to go for last stabel version. So for the moment I'm doing testing and the Community seems pleasent there and not like on Flarum - phpBB was another place that had a pretty sweet community but, I'm not so sure phpBB is me. I've tried it and... Just not really in my style... Can't totally put my finger on it but something is not to my liking overall. Not totally happy with SMF either but, it seems closer to the old modern styling - there is a lot of themes and if I can just find one to my liking with mobility - then I'm all ready to go smile

Pretty much only 2 contenders left, SMF or phpBB... I'm not sure anyone will pick up FluxBB and make it mobile and all, so... IF anything they should call back the guys and sort things out on Jitsi having a good talk once a week on the project. So they can work together. Now that might not ever happen - but one can only hope. Well, whatever, most likely not going to happen and Franz will be busy on Flarum for years and years. They are still in the beta part of things and they been for the project a long time.

Sad to see the best sane Forum software be abandoned like that, but what can you do - 4 programmers I think was there to work on it, and they split up and it all died out. Sadly I was not there to rebuke them at that point and time and get them together again.

So... Well I guess someone could still pick up the stick - hmm weird term by the way... FluxBB would need to be reignited as it allready have its name established. I don't think a new brand would do it. But yea, looks overall pretty hopeless.

So... SMF is still having programmers and they are now moving for mobility in which is in Beta at the moment. There seem to be a good amount of activity and help on the forum and pleasent people. At least I'll see if I can figure something out. I really don't know... It has been so hard to find something - when I really just wanted FluxBB. But SMF, who knows - maybe I will find joy and ease in it when I get used to it. It's far from as intuive and easy to use as FluxBB for sure. But what else is there to use of opensource php forums.

bunsenlabs Linux forum banned me as well by the way, they run FluxBB - they might help you on the mobility, as I was booted that posibility was closed as well. Another running FluxBB is the Arch linux society - but I could not figure out there programming test thing for joining there forum so I could not get in contact with them either. You might be better with such things - that is the contacts I would go for if anything. They both have mobility working pretty good on there forums with whatever adjustment they have done.

Dearly Regards
- Darkijah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-25 10:12:39)

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

#4 2020-09-25 10:51:33

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life
Banned

Frantz just scrap Flarum and come back to FluxBB, get the group together and make it mobile ready! We are still people who want to use this wonderful software of a forum as it is the Best per none! Just needs some updating here and there and this will be flying high again smile
At least that is one voice being heard. Like you people talk about quickness this and that with the modern forum nonsense - and yet we already have a pearl much faster and sane with FluxBB. FluxBB just need a Revival to be raised up like Jesus was raised up from the Death near 2000 years ago.

Why not? You still have some big communities running FluxBB, and there are still people out there who wanna work on it, correct? Just get the people together and form a event each week on Jitsi for nerdy talks so you get progress and do not stall.

I'll be most happy to complain about things I don't like and think can be improved smile

The Simplicity of FluxBB, Lighting fast and all out nerdy greatness, Sanity from end to end. NOW SUPPORTS MOBILE out of the box.
Slogan fixed!

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Last edited by JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life (2020-09-25 10:58:17)

Many perceive the truth to be offensive - others sees lies and deceptions as resentful. It all depends on who you're working for.

Board footer