Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 22:35:59

TheBritain

Gorilla Gong

Our several year attempt to rescue the mAchinima community:
https://gorillagong.com/

Not working 100% atm. Needs tons of love and styling.

#2 2016-01-13 12:39:12

grognard
Website

Re: Gorilla Gong

Good stuff. smile

#3 2016-01-14 07:16:30

Gary

I would've loved to see it but I am getting this message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

#4 2016-01-14 09:15:58

abdulhalim

I see a Gorilla and he says : " We will be back soon."
very nice coming soon page

#5 2016-01-14 18:24:29

grognard
Website

It was up yesterday. Looked like stock in a neat wrapper with a nice site theme.
Hopefully he isn't busy installing SMF. smile

#6 2016-01-14 21:47:39

TheBritain

grognard wrote:

It was up yesterday. Looked like stock in a neat wrapper with a nice site theme.
Hopefully he isn't busy installing SMF. smile

Site is up now. Here's the story.

I have been with A Small Orange forever now. For the last year, we have had NON STOP down time. The techs, who were usually snappy, took entire days to get our VPS back up, for it to only crash again. When I would ask for the logs or the reason, they would give me some BS (MySql crashed for X reason) or whatever. I assumed it was my meddling with PHPFox.

After I installed the new FluxBB variant, which was 1/8 of the calls and 1/4 of the size on a 4GB 4Core VPS, it crashed AGAIN. I had enough. Apparently, ASO sold to EIG about the same time my bad experiences began.

All last night, and all today, I spent on Digital Ocean staring down the face of Virtualmin. I finally have the site secured and back up. Hopefully, it stays up.

Have a look, see what you think. The theme is still a WIP.

Edit: Also, while I did keep the general css stuff (I didn't have time to reformat the forums part yet), I have heavily modified the layout and there is tons of custom tweaking going on. To the extent I am considering a full on private fork when this project is done. I have several other sites planned that this system might work for.

Last edited by TheBritain (2016-01-14 21:49:26)

#7 2016-01-15 21:17:36

Gary

Great to see your site is back up and running! It does look nice and I really like what you have done with your FluxBB installation. Are you planning on giving it a similar colour scheme to the rest of your site?

Without going into too much detail, I despise how EIG do business and anything they get their hands on is ruined. I was with HostGator for numerous years and the exact same thing happened; they were bought out by EIG and pretty much everything including support went completely downhill. I have since moved to Liquid Web and have had nothing but a smooth and perfect experience. I am in the process of developing a nice little project that will benefit FluxBB's customers as well but I won't go into too much detail yet as I'm still actively working on it. wink

If you're on the look out for a host please do consider Liquid Web. They are absolutely amazing and the experiences I have had so far I cannot fault at all.

#8 2016-01-15 22:19:43

TigerAero
Website

I've been with lunarpages for about I don't know like 8 years lol. I at most get minutes of downtime every year. tongue

#9 2016-01-15 22:36:15

TheBritain

Gary wrote:

Great to see your site is back up and running! It does look nice and I really like what you have done with your FluxBB installation. Are you planning on giving it a similar colour scheme to the rest of your site?

Without going into too much detail, I despise how EIG do business and anything they get their hands on is ruined. I was with HostGator for numerous years and the exact same thing happened; they were bought out by EIG and pretty much everything including support went completely downhill. I have since moved to Liquid Web and have had nothing but a smooth and perfect experience. I am in the process of developing a nice little project that will benefit FluxBB's customers as well but I won't go into too much detail yet as I'm still actively working on it. wink

If you're on the look out for a host please do consider Liquid Web. They are absolutely amazing and the experiences I have had so far I cannot fault at all.

TigerAero wrote:

I've been with lunarpages for about I don't know like 8 years lol. I at most get minutes of downtime every year.

I am having an excellent time with my droplets over at Digital Ocean. I have been nothing but impressed. Get this, my server was down over, and over, and over, days at a time for the last year. Every time, they kept telling me my VPS "Ran out of memory." their latest email echoing the same thing.

Turns out, even if your VPS runs out of memory, it shouldn't crash. It should just slow down. I thought it was my programming, but this rewrite using FluxBB proved that wrong. On my new host - which has HALF the memory as my VPS on ASO - I am using only 700MB out of 2GB with the same load.

I am going to be seeking a refund for my remaining months. Wish me luck.

Board footer