Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-25 16:27:50

Franz
Lead developer
Website

v1.6 Wishlist

Let's make this a collection of things we deem most important for the 1.6 series (let's gather them now and make a decision later).

My personal list:

• A template system. This will make hooks and proper extensions much easier, and helps in keeping the code maintainable.

• Responsive styling. That's absolutely needed these days; and still a possibility to stand out when compared to other forum software.

• Code modernization. Lots of stuff can be thrown out, we can use PDO (and prepared statements) by requiring at least PHP 5.3.

Remember: we have very limited resources, so keep it to the most important things; things that pave the path for the future by making other things easier to implement later on.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#2 2015-06-25 17:38:43

Studio384
Former Developer
Website

Re: v1.6 Wishlist

Add one vote for everything you said, additionally: I would say some UX improvements, like I've said before. Anyway, here is a list for things I would change, not all of this has to happen in one release, but I think most of them are much anticipated features or things we can do in just a minute.

General
  • Give the Test Forum and Test Category useful names, like Announcements and General respectively. These are present on most forums, I don't see many forums that have a permanent Test Forum and Test Category.

• Better hashing of passwords, the current one is to weak in my humble opinion

• Our long promised SQLite 3 support, and as said in the tracker, there is an actual working implementation

• Remove the old FluxBB 1.2-styles and Technetium perhaps, its some modernization and makes it even more lightweight. They can be provided as additional downloads.

Front-end
  • Allow users to actually view their own profile

• Put an interface around the help-page, never understood why the menu is suddenly gone there.

Admin panel
  • Reorganize the admin panel, especially the options page, split it in other pages... anything, but not this long list of unrelated settings (I would say General and Appearance)

• A better solution to reorganizing the admin panel would be to just split it of from the board's main design and give it a FluxBB-brand look instead, something that is optimized for managing a boards instead of an admin interface pushed into a profile view.

• Away with the Yes/No questions, checkboxes people! Checkboxes!

Have a nice day.

#3 2015-06-26 02:39:51

orkneywd
Website

Features I would definitely like to see in an update for FluxBB are:

Responsive design - an absolute must. When I made the Victory skin it required only minimal CSS changes and a couple of lines of javascript. It could probably be done purely with CSS. Maybe a new hooks or template feature would let me recreate Victory to be less "hacky".

Profile - It definitely needs an update. As studio says, users should be able to view their own profile, and to be honest the "Edit Profile" section needs updating too.

I'm not on the dev team so I don't contribute much to discussions about the future of this software, since I don't feel I'm at the same level as some of you guys, but I have used Flux since the old 1.2 days with Rickard at the helm, and I run a forum with 10,000+ members and 250,000+ posts. I honestly learnt everything I know about HTML, CSS and PHP from hacking the Pun/Flux core over the last 10-15 years.

I'd like to see things stay nice and simple with just PHP, HTML, CSS and minimal Javascript purely for the fact it allows me to hack around in the code, add features unique to my site, see how I can adapt the software for other purposes etc. I've got tons of unreleased FluxBB edits on my laptop, where I've turned it into a gallery based forum, stackoverflow clone, online shop etc - none of which have seen the light of day because for years I was under the impression that 1.5 was dead in the water and 2.0 was around the corner hmm

Flarum looks great, but I'm worried that I won't have the time to really dissect the structure and code like I did with Flux. Whatever the community decides to do though I'm sure I'll find the core userbase and follow them, much like I did when Informer took over from Rickard and everyone migrated here.

#4 2015-06-26 05:32:50

sryidk
Website

1.Mobile Support.(style)
2.Tag cloud. like:http://piwigo.org/forum/  http://piwigo.org/forum/tags.php

#5 2015-06-26 09:24:47

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Don't turn this into a feature wishlist, please! A tag cloud is definitely not going to happen. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#6 2015-06-28 07:54:53

GWR

Use more OOP in the codebase to allow easier "hooking" into functions: eg. when doing some "JS-enhancement" like checking for new posts since writing your reply, which needs a "GetPostCount(threadID)" or "GetLatestPost(threadID)".
Hmm, maybe we could call this "API" (which sounds like RESTfulness but this might be not needed).

I second all the notes of post 1 and 2.

@templating system
As most of the people seem to be d'accord with this, it might be a good idea to have a thread about the "proper template system to use". The best one obviously translates to PHP so things do not change for "hardcore devs". Something like SASS/LESS for css. PHP-output is needed to get PHP-accelerators working (Zend Opcache is included by default since PHP v5.6).

@code base modernization
Especially "functions.php" or other code monsters (size wise big_smile) could benefit from some overhaul.

In all cases: if you declare too big steps, they might not get climbed at all. So a major code overhaul wont happen that easily.

@wishlist
I would prefer to see a subforum-feature as bigger boards will appreciate this. Maybe a more improved one than the existing solutions - eg. with custom templates/styles for subforums (so you could do "project specific" styles - eg. logo of the game a subforum is about). Maybe this could be done via "hooks" (template checks forum-id and select a different template-path than with default ids) - in that case, ignore that "special interest"-feature-request about extended subforum stylability.

Extended bb-tags
Things like {code} could benefit from extendability {code=php} which then get added to eg. class-attributes. This allows for better syntax highlighting (if auto-recognition fails). Should be fairly simple to add (and is similar to use as {quote=username}).

Better "unread posts"-recognition
Currently I visit my board and get a list of unread new posts... then I read this posts and revisit the page and the same posts are still marked unread. It takes 15 minutes or longer (think some cookie value) to make them get marked as read. As each page request updates the lastVisitTime, it should work flawless (happens here on fluxbb.org too) ...
-> think that request goes in the same direction than saying "fix old bugs".

As things are depending on each other, do not forget to order them before starting doing things, else you might end up rewriting things which were rewritten just before.

Ok, lets see what others suggest. Just avoid letting people doing the same thing simultaneously (template engine 1 by user A and engine 2 by user B) - decide on a way to implement a "feature" (core mechanics too) and if that could get split, do it via github and some pull requests. For templates I assume this wont be needed, once the basement is properly done (how to work with the engine, how to "bootstrap it",...) it should be a fairly trivial task to rewrite the core parts following a fixed "coding style" (basement...).

bye
Ron

#7 2015-06-28 14:57:51

hcgtv
Website

Franz wrote:

Let's make this a collection of things we deem most important for the 1.6 series.

I agree totally with your 3 points, true templating, mobile responsiveness and code modernization.

Let me tell you why I stopped putting out Pun/Flux forums, the spam.

Not the human who signs on and posts about the latest diet craze, that can easily be handled by the moderators. What I'm talking about are the bots that automatically create accounts, then don't respond to the confirmation email, inflating the user roles, and adding 1,000's of avatars to my system.

Yes, there are plugins, mods, how-tos, work-arounds, etc.

My 4th point, adding to your 3, is core spam hardening measures.

#8 2015-06-28 15:05:13

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Did you see our last release, Bert?

But yes, I agree, that's always an important thing. Though hard to prevent in core. That's why I think that anti-spam addons (if plenty exist) are the solution.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#9 2015-06-28 15:13:52

hcgtv
Website

Franz wrote:

Did you see our last release, Bert?

No I did not, my bad.

Downloaded, going to play with it today.

Thanks.

#10 2015-06-28 21:12:53

hcgtv
Website

On the topic of spam, looks like PunBB could use FluxBB's grime fighting abilities. Do you think these are regular user names - FSpJIlch or GoaJIlch?

Installed FluxBB on my local server, went to the directory and was greeted with a blank page, had to add install.php to the end of the URL. Didn't it use to take to install.php if it detected a new install?

#11 2015-06-28 22:01:07

adaur
Developer
Website

It is just a bug that will be fixed in 1.5.9.

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

Board footer