Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-26 16:01:14

quy
Administrator

FluxBB v1.6?

Are there interests in refactoring/modernizing v1.5 to be considered as v1.6? Lets discuss here what should be improved/changed and if you can contribute to its development. Here is your chance to make v1.6 a reality if/when ready before v2.0 arrives. Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback.

#2 2015-03-26 16:13:22

chris98
Website

Re: FluxBB v1.6?

I'd say introduce a global moderators group, I think this could probably be considered a core feature now - in my opinion anyway smile

Last edited by chris98 (2015-03-26 16:18:26)

#3 2015-03-26 17:35:46

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Hi,

I apologize for my wrong English. It's always difficult to translate what I think or what I would say in a language that is not my native language. I practiced English for forty years, but almost exclusively aeronautical technical English.
I can take a little bit like I did for preg_replace_callback changes to support PHP 5.5.0 for FluxBB 1.5.4.
What seems important for me is to have (many) "hook" so as to convert many "mods" that alter the core into plugin.

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#4 2015-03-26 18:51:13

Askelon
Website

That's a hard one, because every thing I can think of would just resume to a pale copy of what is meant for FluxBB 2.0/Flarum.

Maybe we could take this opportunity to find a cleaner way the render the forum instead of the current complete mixup between HTML and PHP, but that's a lot of work… Guess I'll give it some thinking.

#5 2015-03-26 19:02:20

GWR

@hooks
second that

@what else
- Extend usage of templates - Means, do more things in the templates.
- Make or allow templates to be "skin dependend" (else you migh need a big bunch of css to move things around if they are to deeply nested via the templates)
- reorganize some code to be more "oop"
- allow hooks to extend functionality

bye
Ron

#6 2015-03-27 10:23:05

Visman
Website

FluxBB.PE (FluxBB Power Edition) is old fork of FluxBB 1.4.
https://bitbucket.org/yoorick/fluxbb.pe/src

#7 2015-04-04 21:46:17

Studio384
Former Developer
Website

Perhaps its time to put in some responsive design for Air, Earth and Fire.

#8 2015-04-04 21:49:43

Franz
Lead developer
Website

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#9 2015-04-09 23:47:00

Jack
Website

There are a lot of great people here interested in working on flux, so guys: lets do it! Coordination is the things that developers need.

What are the key features?

• Hooks, to manage extensions and plugins as we should ("plug and play" like Wordpress).

• Global moderators privileges.

• Subforums.

• Google friendly URL.

• Mobile friendly UI (I did something on my website, it's not hard, I am just having some problem with the "profile" section)

This is what I think flux 2.0 (or 1.6 / 1.7 whatever...) should have.

Everything else is ok as it is, for me.
J

Last edited by Jack (2015-04-09 23:49:58)

Sorry I don't speak English smile
FluxBB Italy

#10 2015-04-10 06:14:58

GWR

Mobile-friendly is needed to be shipped "by default":
As of april Google intends to not longer list "non mobile-friendly pages" when searching using a mobile device. Means: when searching on your smartphone, no results of the boards are listed anymore (same of course for your websites).

bye
Ron

#11 2015-04-10 07:47:59

Askelon
Website

I may be mistaken, but doesn't hooks require a clean separation between HTML and PHP? I mean, we can always throw a bunch of hooks here and there, but it will mostly be a waste of time due to the current form of the code; If we were to add a filter to customize usernames, for instance, we'd need to add the filter to a lot of places where the username is used, because there's no general function to get a specific user's name…

#12 2015-04-22 15:33:07

XAOS-Eric

Askelon wrote:

I may be mistaken, but doesn't hooks require a clean separation between HTML and PHP? I mean, we can always throw a bunch of hooks here and there, but it will mostly be a waste of time due to the current form of the code; If we were to add a filter to customize usernames, for instance, we'd need to add the filter to a lot of places where the username is used, because there's no general function to get a specific user's name…

Not necessarily. We could easily load a .plugin.php file from a plugins folder,  and we could use mysql to determine if the plugin is actived. Plugin developers could use api to do sql queries. Take a look at the files below, they might be of some interest to you. I outlined a plan here which you can see. I'll be making a separate post about it so others can see it, but for the most part I think there may be a way we can have an mvc based forum without relying solely on a framework, and there is definitely enough support to make it happen from what I see.

http://sourceforge.net/p/icebb/code/HEA … /Hooks.php
http://sourceforge.net/p/icebb/code/HEA … er.api.php

#13 2015-05-16 10:34:57

Hungmi
FluxBB Donor
Website

Tags, like 'Beethoven','Mozart','Violin','Flute'…… Sorry for my English.

#14 2015-05-16 12:56:38

adaur
Developer
Website

Tags will never be a core-feature - a mod already exists.

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

#15 2015-05-17 03:22:58

micbr

Additional hooks would be extremely useful. FluxBB serves a solid foundation for communities to be built on, but every community needs something a little different for its users. My own website has several modifications (like Facebook Open Graph Tags) that could be hooked directly into FluxBB if only there were a method to hook PHP code that is called when generating output between the <head></head> tags. We run a modification that adds support for YouTube BBCode, and a hook there to add additional BBCode functionality via a modification would go a long way.

Even something like a Private Message system could be integrated with a hook for code between the head tags (to display a Javascript "You have new messages" dialog somewhat like vBulletin 3.x) and a hook to add another item to the navigation links (so we can have a "Messages" link that dynamically changes to "Messages (1)" if a user has an unread message, for example).

With some additional hooks in FluxBB, it would make it a much more versatile community platform, and administrators wouldn't have to worry about manually re-editing modified core files whenever a new version is released.

As Askelon mentioned above, some separation between the PHP and HTML could also be beneficial. I don't have too many issues with how FluxBB generates its HTML output now, but there have been a couple of instances where I wished I could make a couple of alterations to the forum HTML, but doing so would mean diving into the PHP itself and manually maintaining yet another modified core file whenever a newer version was released. It doesn't matter so much for one or two files, but the more heavily modified a forum is, the more difficult it becomes to maintain. (FluxBB already looks for customised .tpl files within the active style folder and uses it instead of the ones contained in include/template if one is present. Perhaps an expansion of this type of system, if it's viable to do so.)

Global moderators seems to be a common request, so sure - why not.

Mobile-Friendly UIs could be incorporated into the styles themselves as responsive stylesheets, especially since the viewport can be configured from within the stylesheets themselves.

Execution is important. FluxBB is great because it's simple and doesn't attempt to integrate every feature under the sun. While there's some room to expand onto it without compromising its usability or performance, some care should be taken to avoid losing sight of the aim of this project in the process.

I'll contribute to this project however I can. I wouldn't however consider myself overly knowledgeable in PHP, perhaps just enough to fix some issues and keep sites running when work is needed (one such example of my code can be viewed in this post). I've managed some HTML/CSS and designed and built the theme for ThinkClassic. No experience with a version control system unfortunately, so there is a learning curve there.

Still, FluxBB serves a purpose for smaller to medium communities that want a lightweight forum on both the server and client side, so hopefully some arrangement can be made to continue its development.

Last edited by micbr (2015-05-17 03:23:41)

Administrator, ThinkClassic - A vintage computer community.

#16 2015-05-17 07:47:17

cyberman
Website

To the first - think it would be a good idea to let it be what it is ... a very slim forum software.

But no more extensions inside!

Instead a system of extensions - name it hooks, modules or plugins - so it would be possible to insert/activate a functionality.

The idea behind ... there are some functionalities, I've never needed (for instance word censoring - yep, have a very friendly community big_smile). So I want to remove such things. Every admin should deciding which functionalities he want to have inside his forum (I dont like industrial cakes, I want to be my own bakerman wink)

To my background - I'm supporting a (very nice) easy to handle Smarty based CMS. One of the goals of Smarty (a template engine) is you can modifying the template to add new functionalities instead hacking the core. With a template system you can realise every UI. Love this ...

The problem - Smarty is a lot bigger than FluxBB yet.

So I'm searching ... and find F3 (Fat Free Framework). It's very slim too (only 65k), has a template engine, a database layer and a lot other useful stuff, brings some ORM ... AND begins with "F" too big_smile.

See here

http://fatfreeframework.com/home

In my opinion F3 is the continuation of the idea behind FluxBB as framework - slim and fast.

And yes - currently I'm playing with F3 to get my forum "fat free" big_smile.

Last edited by cyberman (2015-05-17 08:07:06)

#17 2015-05-17 08:16:23

chris98
Website

I'd like to add another feature which I think could be extremely useful - just like what I've added into my own fork of this, I think an automatic forum updater would be extremely useful. You download the update through the forum interface and when an admin clicks a button, it updates the software automatically and easily.

That way, it solves a few issues:

1.) For those people who don't know anything about PHP, it's a massive headache to upgrade (to be honest, it is anyway)

2.) It allows for nothing to go wrong

3.) It stops people who aren't admins from seeing db_update.php and "guessing" the database password or having the ability to interfere if it's done through the admin panel.

Let's face facts: updating by hand is not at all convenient now, it would be so much better to just automatically download an update package and then install it with one press.

It also allows the files to be modified at the same time as the database, which is always better.

Last edited by chris98 (2015-05-17 08:17:09)

#18 2015-05-17 09:08:28

cyberman
Website

Maybe it's useful but I don't like the idea of automatic (one press) updates very much.

To the first - a lot of files needs a write permission. This is a (too) high security risc.

To the second - for a secure database update in such way you have to use transactions so it's possible to rollback on error. Not sure if Flux database layer support that - haven't seen transactions in sources yet. Or should I change my glasses big_smile?

To the third - you need an opened connection outside to get the update package (security!)

To the fourth - maybe it would be possible to update the fluxbb core but the mods? What's if they are depending on some core functionalities?

Last edited by cyberman (2015-05-17 09:10:30)

#19 2015-05-17 09:52:48

Askelon
Website

Automatic updates will be impossible to use for a good portion of the FluxBB users. If you have so much as one mods in place, automatic update will erase it.

#20 2015-05-20 21:39:13

GGue

I have some skill in coding, but this is over mine possibilities.

I don't know how you will organize that, but if is needed help for UI/HTML structure, I hope there are chances to cooperate and make it.

I put some things that I think is needed:
- Renewing html structure
- Quote who said, if possible, to divide html and php code
- Template system where we are also able to set the order of some elements (for example, in header, we could like menu at the top, for mobile purposes, or under the forum logo/title, this is an example, but can really help in some cases with css to make all logic)
- Multiple group management. We have an old mod here, so can be good to try to insert it to default latest version

Another, bitly with less priority but useful (IMHO):
- Give the opportunity to chose the avatar type, not only by upload, but also by url.
- Add user option in admin area

Now I don't remember other things...

About update, do you think that is possible and more secure if you make a downloadable package, and user can select this downloaded achieve from their ACP and start update? So, you don't need a real automatic request server2server, user should manually download the package and put it in ACP...

Last edited by GGue (2015-05-20 21:43:07)

#21 2015-05-22 07:23:45

chris98
Website

To the first - a lot of files needs a write permission. This is a (too) high security risc.

This can be checked and restored afterwards, so it isn't terribly bad.

Automatic updates will be impossible to use for a good portion of the FluxBB users. If you have so much as one mods in place, automatic update will erase it.

That's certainly true. Maybe some more hooks might help with that though, and then if HTML was separated into templates it would  be better.

Not sure if Flux database layer support that - haven't seen transactions in sources yet.

Yeah- but it depends on which database type you choose. MySQL Innodb (which is deprecated, but never mind) and MySQLi Innodb. I think others might, but can't remember off hand.

I understand I'm almost asking for the impossible with all these heavy changes, it's just a suggestion wink

- Multiple group management. We have an old mod here, so can be good to try to insert it to default latest version

What could possibly be the point of having two user group if all that's going to be done as a result is "look, here's your second user group. Now go forth and never sin again"? If there is a real purpose of two user groups, I'd be delighted to know. But you have to have a primary one for permissions anyway pretty much making the other ones redundant.

#22 2015-05-22 16:16:15

GGue

Sure. In practice we have a community divided into several sub-groups.

I try to use the example of a nation.

Section Public: Open to all members of the community

The "Teenagers" section: open to anyone who is part of the group "A"
The "Youth" section: open to anyone who is part of the group "B"
The "Adults" section: open to anyone who is part of the group "C"
The "Seniors" section: open to anyone who is part of the group "D"

The "Council" section: open to who take part Into That, could be in "A", "B", etc. group yet.

The "Senate" section: open to who take part Into That, could be in "A", "B", etc. group yet.

Now, consider that we have not only 2 special section as "Council" and "Senate". Only for that 2, we must moltiply x3 che previous groups (here 4, we have 10 and more..). So 12 group in the example.

Plus: we can have also who take part in both council and senate. So, another 3 groups for each standard group. In the example we arrive to 16 groups. With multigroup could be only 6.

If I use mine example, we have 10 * 4 + 10*6 (with combinations of 2 special groups) + 10*3 (with combinations of 3 special groups) + 10 (who have all permissions, but not admin).

Result: 140 groups, but with multigroup I can have only 14. Is big difference, considering also that become easy to add more groups (normal/special) without make problem or miss some combination...

#23 2015-05-22 16:20:45

chris98
Website

I can understand that reasoning. But you still didn't answer what the benefit would be other than giving them more than one user group because their permissions only inherit from one to start with.

#24 2015-05-23 04:25:27

cyberman
Website

chris98 wrote:

This can be checked and restored afterwards, so it isn't terribly bad.

No I don't like it anyway.

Have seen too much hosts on my clients where writing (system) files by server makes trouble. Often the server becames the file owner and afterwards it was difficult to access/modify/delete it by FTP.

#25 2015-05-23 10:54:51

GGue

chris98 wrote:

I can understand that reasoning. But you still didn't answer what the benefit would be other than giving them more than one user group because their permissions only inherit from one to start with.

They should gain the best privileges from all groups they are in. Generally, the forum that uses multigroup, give a chance to select the primary group (which is show in the forum title), and the others hide in the forum but that provides their privileges (if better then the primary group).

The most of benefit comes for who manage the forum to set up the permissions, not for the users. (imagine to change the group with 140 choice in a select input with mobile phone that load 10 options per page..)

Board footer