Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-05-08 11:21:06

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: 2.0: Joining forces with Flarum

Please post the exact error on http://discuss.flarum.org/.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#127 2015-05-08 12:13:21

chris98
Website

Nothing that a new theme cannot solve.

That's only part of what I see as the problem. There are far too many things wrong with Flarum in my eyes to be able to put them all down in a message.

For one, the use of JavaScript is far too heavy, no matter what the size is, that was just part of the JS issue. There's no valid reason I can see to use that much JS, it's more like a blog or social networking website. Just looking at it, especially the "load more" button makes me think of an exact copy of Invision Power Board 3.x, which is slow, has a very bad database structure and the features are implemented cluttered which makes the software not at all pleasant to use.

Why on earth you need popups when you hover over something (i.e. a name) to say "view profile x" or the date of the message (which should be there by default without a hover needed) is beyond me. It adds more clutter and is a pointless feature. The answered feature makes the software like StackOverflow, to be honest, there isn't really anything that I think is good about it.

#128 2015-05-08 17:18:16

Gamer
Website

fluxbb 2 should look (something) like this:

https://community.woltlab.com/

Last edited by Gamer (2015-05-08 17:24:33)

#129 2015-05-09 11:15:31

cyberman
Website

+1 !!!

Looks very nice and perfect for my needs!!!

Hope it's only a question of theming ...

#130 2015-05-09 17:54:44

TigerAero
Website

chris98 wrote:

Nothing that a new theme cannot solve.

That's only part of what I see as the problem. There are far too many things wrong with Flarum in my eyes to be able to put them all down in a message.

For one, the use of JavaScript is far too heavy, no matter what the size is, that was just part of the JS issue. There's no valid reason I can see to use that much JS, it's more like a blog or social networking website. Just looking at it, especially the "load more" button makes me think of an exact copy of Invision Power Board 3.x, which is slow, has a very bad database structure and the features are implemented cluttered which makes the software not at all pleasant to use.

Why on earth you need popups when you hover over something (i.e. a name) to say "view profile x" or the date of the message (which should be there by default without a hover needed) is beyond me. It adds more clutter and is a pointless feature. The answered feature makes the software like StackOverflow, to be honest, there isn't really anything that I think is good about it.

Aww I hate StackOverflow. Good riddance to that website lol.

#131 2015-05-10 08:24:27

muli

It looks better, cleaner and it's faster. So 1+.

But if you use another browser than Chrome, FF and new IE - using alternative Browsers with full support and also just text-support - you'll get (at the moment) this:

2qmn821.png

So it's important, that there is a way to use it without JS, just like fluxbb with pure PHP. And using JS just to improve the dynamic - e.g. like Stack Overflow:

2e54opw.png

smile

*poor english, sorry for mistakes*

#132 2015-05-20 13:07:56

jojaba
Website

I just saw the new direction you (Franz) want to give to FluxBB (OK I'm a little bit late)...
I completely disagree with that.
Look at this article to know why (I'm not the author of it) : http://www.sitepoint.com/javascript-dep … hancement/
JavaScript is great if you use it to enhance. A web application shouldn't be dependant on JS in my opinion.
Keep the things simple : first HTML (server treatment before of course), then CSS, then JS.
This is the way to developp something you can maintain easily and adapt to any situation.

Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

#133 2015-05-20 16:16:22

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Thank you, @jojaba, for these insightful posts. In the coming weeks, I'll do some experimentation with an idea I've had for a while, and will report back.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#134 2015-05-25 10:53:46

Other browser not support web standard.
3 kings :
1. Blink/webkid - Google
2. Trident/Chakra - MS
3. Grecko - Mozilla

It is support web browser engine, but opera android problem for JS and img new post in flarum is no + it is problem GUI.

@franz i have ask for Fluxbb2/flarum

Last edited by 123 (2015-05-25 10:55:01)

Solidarity = compensation for war. Time to pay.
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img633/7813/XjQh8f.png[/img]
Ach, lekceważyłaś wolę króla
a w nocy naszego spotkania, śmiałaś się do łez

#135 2015-06-06 23:12:29

palox

Flarum looks horrible hmm

#136 2015-06-14 11:12:04

Studio384
Developer
Website

123 wrote:

3 kings :
1. Blink/webkid - Google
2. Trident/Chakra - MS
3. Grecko - Mozilla

It is support web browser engine, but opera android problem for JS and img new post in flarum is no + it is problem GUI.

I can't be the only one that doesn't understand anything of what you just said here.

#137 2015-06-14 16:39:02

TigerAero
Website

Studio384 wrote:
123 wrote:

3 kings :
1. Blink/webkid - Google
2. Trident/Chakra - MS
3. Grecko - Mozilla

I can't be the only one that doesn't understand anything of what you just said here.

He's saying the 3 big browsers each don't fully support "web standards" also is noticing the javascript issues with opera/android platform. Plus he says the GUI is problematic.

#138 2015-06-19 18:27:45

Franz
Lead developer
Website

The demo forum has been updated.

Give it a try and let us know what you think! smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#139 2015-06-20 18:20:57

hcgtv
Website

Wow, been gone for 4 years and I come back to this.

I've been involved with PunBB/FluxBB since 2005. It was Rickard doing the coding on his home machine, that also hosted the PunBB support forums, Paul did the CSS, and I joined in to handle the docs. There were other developers in the fray, but in the beginning, my interactions were with Rickard and Paul.

When news that PunBB was to be sold, I was none too happy, I'll leave it at that. Eventually I made it over to FluxBB but my involvement didn't stick, I just didn't feel we were heading in any direction.

Now there's news of a new direction, a heavy framework will be the basis for a lightweight forum.

I don't know Franz, I was gone before he took over, so I'm not going to attack him here, and nobody should, this is an Open Source project, volunteer efforts and all that. Franz can go his own way, that's his choice, but those of us who like lightweight forums, don't have to follow, that's our choice.

After 10 years, I still feel a lightweight forum would kick some serious ass and take away market share from all the others. Rickard never stuck around long enough to see his baby gain traction, and it was gaining users up until the whole Informer fiasco.

Should any developers decide it's time to stick a fork in it, I'm in.

#140 2015-06-20 18:34:27

Franz
Lead developer
Website

It's good to see you again after all this time. smile

While the underlying code is surely bigger than that of FluxBB, Flarum already loads faster for me on subsequent page loads. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#141 2015-06-21 15:59:13

eric235u
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Wow, been gone for 4 years and I come back to this.

I've been involved with PunBB/FluxBB since 2005. It was Rickard doing the coding on his home machine, that also hosted the PunBB support forums, Paul did the CSS, and I joined in to handle the docs. There were other developers in the fray, but in the beginning, my interactions were with Rickard and Paul.

When news that PunBB was to be sold, I was none too happy, I'll leave it at that. Eventually I made it over to FluxBB but my involvement didn't stick, I just didn't feel we were heading in any direction.

Now there's news of a new direction, a heavy framework will be the basis for a lightweight forum.

I don't know Franz, I was gone before he took over, so I'm not going to attack him here, and nobody should, this is an Open Source project, volunteer efforts and all that. Franz can go his own way, that's his choice, but those of us who like lightweight forums, don't have to follow, that's our choice.

After 10 years, I still feel a lightweight forum would kick some serious ass and take away market share from all the others. Rickard never stuck around long enough to see his baby gain traction, and it was gaining users up until the whole Informer fiasco.

Should any developers decide it's time to stick a fork in it, I'm in.

Fascinating post.  Very cool info.

FWIW I'm probably going to move to this pun flux fork https://github.com/featherbb/ or something similar.

Franz is a beast and has been doing the heavy lifting for a while.  Honest people can disagree about direction.

I love open source code!

Last edited by eric235u (2015-06-21 16:07:14)

#142 2015-06-26 09:29:29

keyscrambler

I would like to share with you the reasons for my concerns following the decision to make the Flarum FluxBB 2.0 through examples, but I'm not allowed to post links .. How many messages I need it to be able to have unlocking this possibility? good because I do not want to criticize or stating the obvious but just please share what I liked and what FluxBB allowed me to do, see if Flarum offer the same opening as the latter. Thank you.

#143 2015-06-26 09:30:44

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Welcome, you're now promoted! smile

Please share your feedback.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#144 2015-06-26 09:32:56

keyscrambler

Thank's i will share it in "Show off"

#145 2015-07-05 21:07:05

micbr

One concept I've been thinking about over the last few days is extending the FluxBB interface into Flarum. What I mean is that I have seen discussions that suggest that it would in theory be possible to build a custom frontend for Flarum, one that takes advantage of the modern architecture but offers a more traditional UI. While it wouldn't be able to support the custom extensions available for Flarum, it would still be an option for users of FluxBB that want a more traditional experience.

It could even be called "Flux" - drop the "BB".

I think there is a lot of potential in the Flarum core and instead of attempting to reinvent the wheel with a complete ground-up rewrite of FluxBB, perhaps it would make sense to combine our efforts, allowing Franz and Toby to work on refining this powerful platform while we focus on building the snap-on components needed to make Flarum look, feel and function more like a FluxBB forum.

Considering that Flarum aims to deliver fast, lightweight and efficient code already, and the majority of concerns from existing FluxBB users is directed towards its Javascript-based UI, it feels like this could be a solution that satisfies both parties.

Because Flarum isn't finished yet, I haven't explored how difficult this will be in practice. However when it is made available to the public I'll certainly be looking into it.

Last edited by micbr (2015-07-05 21:09:01)

Administrator, ThinkClassic - A vintage Apple computer community.

#146 2015-07-06 05:56:04

Newman

The only issue with Flarum is google adsense is not allowed on ajax'd refreshing. If there is a way in the future to disable that and be run like how fluxbb is (normal refresh) it would be better. Otherwise, that's a big negative in the forum market. Why would someone use it if they cannot put ads on their forums?

Ofcourse the JS is heavy, but it's literally 1 js file that needs to load and then it gets cached and everything loads fine. It's not an issue. I just don't know why the developers here not just make a FluxBB v2.0 or something instead of joining other systems (laraval, flarum, etc). I'm sure Rickard wouldn't be impressed.

I think he'd be more impressed seeing a new version of FluxBB that is designed for the modern web.

Last edited by Newman (2015-07-06 05:58:14)

#147 2015-07-06 07:28:02

cyberman
Website

micbr wrote:

What I mean is that I have seen discussions that suggest that it would in theory be possible to build a custom frontend for Flarum, one that takes advantage of the modern architecture but offers a more traditional UI.

+1

micbr wrote:

Because Flarum isn't finished yet, I haven't explored how difficult this will be in practice. However when it is made available to the public I'll certainly be looking into it.

Think it would be important to have this with first final Flarum release. Meaned as handshaking for traditional UI users.

#148 2015-07-06 07:38:22

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

micbr wrote:

It could even be called "Flux" - drop the "BB".

Hi,

I like "BB", it reminds me of the "BBS" (Bulletin Board Service) that I used in 1986 with my Apple ][ and AppleTell card reversible 1200/75 baud.

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#149 2015-07-06 08:30:38

hcgtv
Website

Newman wrote:

I just don't know why the developers here not just make a FluxBB v2.0 or something instead of joining other systems (laraval, flarum, etc). I'm sure Rickard wouldn't be impressed.

I think he'd be more impressed seeing a new version of FluxBB that is designed for the modern web.

+1

#150 2015-07-06 09:11:57

cyberman
Website

Newman wrote:

Ofcourse the JS is heavy, but it's literally 1 js file that needs to load and then it gets cached and everything loads fine.

No, it's not - cause a lot of people are using js blocker ...

Board footer