Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-10 10:35:10

Spiney

Visit timeouts and losing long posts

So I've done this in the past; take an hour to write a page long post only to find out your session has timed out. Push the post button and get a notification. After pushing the back button I do not get my post back (aaaaargh!). Now I learned my lesson and just type it in notepad and copy/paste. But there's other users who go through the same thing, and it's really frustrating to lose all your text.

Is there a way I can fix this? I have bumped the session timeout, however this raised a new issue, that some new posts often remained as unread, which is perhaps even slightly more annoying for the average use case - sure enough, users complained.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Spiney (2014-06-10 10:36:46)

#2 2014-06-10 11:21:47

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Visit timeouts and losing long posts

I think my browser actually remembers the input. Also, I always choose to stay logged in, that way this never happens to me.

Nonetheless, interesting. It would probably be better to show the message above the pre-filled form. Then again, one has to login anyway before being able to continue.

The error messages will be handled more gracefully in 2.0, not planning any huge changes in 1.x.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2014-06-10 12:08:26

Spiney

Interesting thing is, on most forum my browser remembers the input, not on Flux however. I'm on Firefox. Maybe it depends on the type of textfield wether or not the browser remembers?

The always logged in thing sounds like an obvious fix though.

Last edited by Spiney (2014-06-10 12:08:39)

#4 2014-06-10 22:09:54

benjawi
Website

Best thing you can do if you've taken ages it to open the forum again on another tab and then go back to your post and hit submit. I've had to do this a few times and it works, saving me losing a post I forgot about. That or copy it all and then when you submit and have to hit back, you can just paste it again.

Board footer