Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 18:24:02

Studio384
Developer
From: Belgium
Registered: 2012-04-11
Posts: 680
Website

Round up #11 - No snowflakes

I couldn't find a nice title, so I took the first thing that came on my mind: no snowflakes. Winter is halfway and here in Belgium, the first snowflake has yet to fall... Anyway, thanks to January, we're 14k downloads higher than when this year started and released 2 new versions: FluxBB 1.5.6 and 1.4.12. Both might turn out to be the last releases in their own branches, as we do consider releasing the next version as FluxBB 1.6, of course, it might turn out to become the planned 1.5.7 update, maybe. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, the planned features will come, no matter what the version is, 1.5.7 or 1.6. Those features, you ask, are SQLite 3 support, we might drop PHP 4 support (You can thank Jamie (Reines) for that. Seriously, thank him for it.), some serious improvements to promotions, dashboard improvements and more. Yes, it's going to be awesome.

This brings me at my next issue: January was boring if you looked at the Resources page at our website. Really boring. In fact, only 1 new plugin made it Simple Move Posts by AracornRed. This mod is supposed to improve upon FluxBBs current split function. The only style that was added was Air 2 alpha, a style by me, trying to improve upon the current Air design. So.. Further on, let's point out some "Show Offs"...

Beware design
Beware design is a nice example of how to integrate FluxBB with a Bootstrap-based website. It's still the default Air design from FluxBB, but I remember adding Bootstrap to FluxBB and ending up with a mess of small text. Well played.

Brauwmeister
The concept (yes, concept) of Brauwmeister really made my eyes go wide open when I saw it, take a look for yourself.  While it's currently a lime version of Air, what it is supposed be become deserves some attention.

Textpattern
Textpatter is another great example of nice design. It's bright, has nice small arts to indicate forums, good readability, seems to be improved for touch. While I didn't take the time to go and find out what Textpattern is, I realy like their taste for design (how do you say this in English, in Dutch it is "smaak voor ontwerp", not sure about a good English translation...).

TheDragon13Society
Another one? Yes yes! Indeed. Here, we've got the Dragon13Society (whatever that is). Let me be fair: I don't like its design. However, I still think it's a great example. It has pretty good readability, the buttons are huge, but the split between posts is a little bit confusing in my opinion. It looks a little bit like Windows' white contrast theme.

AcitTu.be
It draw my attention because it said .be smile. Anyway, AcitTu.be is one of the rare, non-Air based forums I've pointed out in the last couple of Round ups. In fact, it's based on Radium (one of the styles that have been in FluxBB since version 1.2 (which is the very beginning). Anyway, I like what he/she has done with the place. Perhaps it's a good idea to improve the dropdowns a little bit so they (the dropdowns) can be more themselves.

Offline

#2 2014-02-05 17:56:59

Romanov
Member
Registered: 2010-06-10
Posts: 7

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

My top CSS frameworks are:
1. Bootstrap 3
2. Pure
3. todc-bootstrap (Google design for Bootstrap)

Offline

#3 2014-04-15 09:19:14

A.Chakery
Member
Registered: 2012-08-05
Posts: 12

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Will there be any updated in Heading Tags ?

cause the current Heading tags is not really good for SEO ... (I mean the implantation of H1 and H2)

Thank you

Offline

#4 2014-04-19 16:52:35

LostYankeeLLC
Member
Registered: 2014-04-08
Posts: 18

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Over half the sites on the list no longer use fluxbb.

Offline

#5 2014-04-19 18:02:04

Different55
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 177

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

hmm That's a bit depressing. Only TextPattern and AcidTu.be are left. Braumeisters and Dragon13 left FluxBB, and Beware Designs vanished.

Offline

#6 2014-04-20 12:26:30

chris98
Member
From: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 1,284
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

That is pretty sad. FluxBB is the simplest, easiest to manage, lightest, most user-friendly, compatible, fastest forum software I know. There's nothing better out there yet they changed. sad


Download Panther - The dawn of a new age in forum software.
Why should I use Panther? | Panther demo | Convert to Panther

Offline

#7 2014-04-21 19:12:52

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,468
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

I recently added a few more popular sites to the wiki.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#8 2014-04-21 23:28:29

Different55
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 177

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

:O I hadn't realized that CrunchBang was using FluxBB, although now it seems ridiculously obvious. They've got a nice stripped down version of the site for small screens.

Last edited by Different55 (2014-04-21 23:29:11)

Offline

#9 2014-04-23 14:13:03

Studio384
Developer
From: Belgium
Registered: 2012-04-11
Posts: 680
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Different55 wrote:

hmm That's a bit depressing. Only TextPattern and AcidTu.be are left. Braumeisters and Dragon13 left FluxBB, and Beware Designs vanished.

Laravel also stopped using FluxBB.

Offline

#10 2014-04-23 17:56:44

LostYankeeLLC
Member
Registered: 2014-04-08
Posts: 18

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

chris98 wrote:

That is pretty sad. FluxBB is the simplest, easiest to manage, lightest, most user-friendly, compatible, fastest forum software I know. There's nothing better out there yet they changed. sad

The problem with fluxbb is that out the box it's extremely limited which can easily be fixed with mods. The problems with mods is lack of plugin manager. And the template system is a pain in comparison to other competitors.

tl;dr plugin system and template are needed but wont arrive til 2.0.

Last edited by LostYankeeLLC (2014-04-23 17:58:22)

Offline

#11 2014-04-23 19:37:23

chris98
Member
From: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 1,284
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

I agree, it is fairly limited, but there are a lot of modifications that you can add to it and the software itself is extremely mod friendly. Most of them are fairly easy to install as well and they aren't that long and tedious.

Though I haven't really looked into the template so I can't comment.


Download Panther - The dawn of a new age in forum software.
Why should I use Panther? | Panther demo | Convert to Panther

Offline

#12 2014-04-23 20:19:24

Different55
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 177

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

What's so bad about the template?

Offline

#13 2014-04-24 06:20:24

Askelon
Developer
From: Bretagne − France
Registered: 2010-06-09
Posts: 202
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

The CSS files are a pain to edit. There is a sensible reason to why they're made that way, but still, it takes some time to get to know how to make something nice of it. Plus, the HTML part is wicked, using tables block a lot of thing or, at least, make them harder to achieve.

Offline

#14 2014-04-24 13:49:57

Erkan
Member
Registered: 2012-07-23
Posts: 12
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Lets say mainly almost all forum software has same functions so templates and plugins what people look before choosing which forum to use..

Offline

#15 2014-04-24 18:32:00

Studio384
Developer
From: Belgium
Registered: 2012-04-11
Posts: 680
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Erkan wrote:

Lets say mainly almost all forum software has same functions

Not. Even. Close.

Offline

#16 2014-04-25 17:25:58

chris98
Member
From: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 1,284
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Erkan wrote:

templates and plugins what people look before choosing which forum to use

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. When I first found FluxBB I was certainly new to PHP. I know that it was possibly because I wasn't very good at the time, but the main thing I looked for was a forum that actually worked. I searched Google many, many times for "best free forum software" and the like, eventually leading to me to this link here I think.

I don't know what it was, whether it was because I was new to PHP or what, but none of the others seemed to work. They would seem to install on my localhost correctly, but would always either produce errors or generally, be too complex to understand how to do anything (SMF comes to mind). Templates were the last thing on my mind - in fact, I didn't even know they existed at that point. I was just looking for a basic, working forum with a secure login system easily integrated with my own site - I found one here.

It was loads later I got involved with modifying it, looking at the source code and actually wondering how it works, I was just doing what an average person does - using it without caring how it works.

I admit the CSS is a pain to edit, but apart from that it's pretty mod-friendly in my opinion. Obviously I don't speak for everyone, but that's what I looked for.


Download Panther - The dawn of a new age in forum software.
Why should I use Panther? | Panther demo | Convert to Panther

Offline

#17 2014-07-07 18:56:45

Sxderp
Member
Registered: 2012-11-02
Posts: 101

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

chris98 wrote:

I admit the CSS is a pain to edit, but apart from that it's pretty mod-friendly in my opinion. Obviously I don't speak for everyone, but that's what I looked for.

Haha. It is.

I'm hoping 2.0 fixes that problem.

While I'm looking forward to 2.0 I'm also not looking forward to it because then I'm going to have to take the time to figure out how it works and how to modify it in order to transfer my current modifications. Lol.

Offline

#18 2014-07-08 08:24:57

chris98
Member
From: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 1,284
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

I'm also not looking forward to it because then I'm going to have to take the time to figure out how it works and how to modify it in order to transfer my current modifications. Lol.

I'm only going to upgrade if it's phenomenally good, and you can instantly tell it's loads better, my whole site is now setup using the $pun_user variables, since they're changing to laravel I'm not sure whether they will remain (I guess not, but I honestly don't know). Plus, with the amount of mods I have on my forum, It'll take for forever to upgrade and get them working! smile


Download Panther - The dawn of a new age in forum software.
Why should I use Panther? | Panther demo | Convert to Panther

Offline

#19 2014-07-08 08:37:25

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,468
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

It will be a bit of a hassle, but only once. Future upgrades will be more smooth, because you won't have to make and maintain any edits by hand.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#20 2014-07-08 08:46:32

chris98
Member
From: England, United Kingdom
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 1,284
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

How are you doing with 2.0, I haven't heard much for a while? Is it anywhere near completion yet?


Download Panther - The dawn of a new age in forum software.
Why should I use Panther? | Panther demo | Convert to Panther

Offline

#21 2014-07-08 08:53:54

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,468
Website

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

I've settled on an implementation strategy for controllers, so that I can start implementing more actions, such as deletion or reporting of posts. (I had stopped doing that because I just kept refactoring and changing things over and over again, so I did not want to do that for too many.)

Once a basic forum management is in place, I'll release alpha2.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#22 2014-09-02 13:07:30

123
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 333

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

Waiting next news xd


Solidarity = compensation for war. Time to pay.
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img633/7813/XjQh8f.png[/img]
Ach, lekceważyłaś wolę króla
a w nocy naszego spotkania, śmiałaś się do łez

Offline

#23 2014-09-20 08:29:01

joel
Member
Registered: 2014-07-04
Posts: 438

Re: Round up #11 - No snowflakes

can't we first see and test the stage it is now? Let just have a feel yo know.


Warning! be informed and be forewarned. <p>
<?php
I'm not a native English Man. So my comments might contain some grammatical explosive (ELD), missapropreation of words (dinamyt), The use of wrong words (missiles), & mis spelling of words (war drones). Any of the occurrence can cause havoc. So be warned
?>

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB