Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-31 01:33:30

Askelon
Website

FluxBB-Rd: FluxBB redefined for fun and profit

I've been playing around with FluxBB for some years now, doing a lot of internal, massive changes for personnal projects or clients, and I've taken some time to put together the things I didn't like in FluxBB (and that's not much, actually) or, at least, what I'd like to see differently. This turned out to be FluxBB Redefined, a redesign concept I'll present extensively here.

First of all, lets be clear right from the start: here's what FluxxBB Redefined IS NOT:

• FluxBB-Rd is not a style/mod for FluxBB. 95% of what is done so far is impossible to implement on a standard FluxBB installation.

• FluxBB-Rd is not a FluxBB fork. There's already a bunch of forks out there, no point in adding yet another experimental one that I won't have time to maintain and nobody will use.

• FluxBB-Rd is not a proposition for integration in forthcoming FluxBB updates. Some changes should be easy to implement, most would absolutely not.

• FluxBB-Rd is not a simple adaptation of the current FluxBB design to Twitter Bootsrap. It does use Bootstrap, but merely as a tool. It could be any framework.

• FluxBB-Rd is not a relooking of the current FluxBB design.

The whole purpose of the project is to experiment enhancements and new concepts for FluxBB. The design has remained pretty much the same since the early start of the development of FluxBB and many parts are outdated and could be improved if not entirely rethinked. None of this is intended to be a suggestion of what FluxBB should be; only what it could possibly be. There's a lot of experiments in this, things I took from various design experiences, things I like. Things that will never be a part of FluxBB apart from mods. Anyway, here we go.

Login/Register

1383178155.png

Details:
I like overly-simple Login and Register forms. Whenever I can, these pages look pretty much the same. A FluxBB Login I recently made for a client looks like this (Register looks the same, only with and email input instead of password).

Index

1383178412.png

Details:
Now we get to the main page of the forum. Nothing much done here except header and footer and some arrangings in forum/category HTML parts.

The header is a concept developed from social networks. I like designs including a banner and it seems a lot of FluxBB forums use one, so here's one. The avatar display stays in the social-network-general-trend; that's not something I'd see as a standard on FluxBB, but it was well appreciated when I added it to my main forum, members enjoyed to see their avatar right in their screen, something they were not accustomed too. Plus, it gives the opportunity to make more visible the Search links (Posted, Recent…) and kind of encourage registration. The forum's menu stand right below, clearly visible but not too predominant.

The footer is a simple idea I got from Squiggles.

Forums View

1383179056.png

Details:
The only visible change is the Status Icons added to specific topics right before the title. On hover the Icon change to a Label indicating the status: Sticky, Answered (you replied to this topic), Subscribed, Moved of Closed:

1383179269.png

Topics Reading

1383179361.png

Details:
More consistent changes: a complete redesign of topics. Two reasons to that: to allow fully customizable layouts, and have a more modern appearance. The author's info is cleanly displayed as Icons, same for the "Report", "Quote" and "Delete" links. The design using Bootstrap gives the possibility to have RTL-optimized layout and have some large styling liberties. I personally prefer the fifth layout, centered author box with a post background.

The quickform proceeds through the same layout with a really basic form.

1383181523.png 1383181489.png

Posting / Editing

1383179814.png

Details:
Since we already changed much of the Topics, lets continue with the Posting. One thing that is a real trouble on some forums is the way a text looks like once posted compared to previewing, and I know of a bunch of forums of litterature-related communities where people often complain about the difficulties they have to organize their posts to be displayed the way they want: the posting page doesn't have the same layout as the topic one, hence a difference in width and texts layouts. The nicest way to avoid this is obvious: use the same layout to post/edit/preview posts and to view them. It can even include a direct preview mode (no page reloading):

1383180284.png

1383180310.png

Details:
Now that the Post/Edit page is here, no point in doing differently for the new Topic page. Only notable change is the Title that is now editable.

Profile Viewer

1383180433.png

Details:
Now we're getting into the real heavy stuff. I honestly don't like FluxBB profile viewer. It's OK when your forum doesn't focus on members compared to content, but I run a few forums that are peopled by a vast spectrum of people from 10 to 60+ years old, and one thing they like is a friendly design and profile page.

Most of the concepts experimented in the Profile Viewer are totally not fit for a standard FluxBB implementation. This is clearly eye-candy stuff and is totally against the philosophy of simplicity I like from FluxBB. But still, I think most of these would be great as extensions, hence the need for a truly adaptable Profile page, letting the developers easily adding contents. The Private Message part is a great example of what a developer could do to enhance user experience.

On a more personal note, I think forums are greatly influenced by social networks and should applied some lessons from there. Basic, bare and concrete forum designs remind me of the differences between newsgroups and social networks: both have their use, their fans, their popularity; yet newsgroups are totally unknown from the majority of users nowadays. Forums may need to focus harder on the user part, and that's what I tried here. I like to see the location and the latest posts of a member, but a map and timeline is more friendly than a bare text saying "Bergerac". Honestly, how much people here know where is Bergerac? wink

Profile Editor

1383181166.png

Details:
Speaking of social networks, what I really like about these is the one-click-setting-saving like you can find on Facebook or Google+. A great Profile Editor, in my mind, would be a one-page-only tool using Tabs and cleverly organized options.

Display

1383181569.png

One word on this part: something I truly miss on FluxBB is the ability to test a style, or at least see what styles I have installed. Yes, I know I should know what I'm doing on my forums, but lets be honest: having a bare Select list showing only the installed styles' file names is not the most user-friendly you can get. A simple, elegant display of all installed styles with a tiny thumbnail, styles' authors and contacts would be a really nice thing.

1383181582.png 1383181589.png

User List

1383182019.png

Details:
Still on the social-inspired, User List can be made a little more friendly by adding some details like avatars. And, just like the Profile Viewer, giving more room to developers to build some enhancements, something that can't be done in actual FluxBB forums.

1383182156.png

And I guess that's about it! I'm still working on some parts I want to improve, such as the Search page or the Admin Dashboard that needs a lot of work still. There's quite a lot of information, ideas and concept to digest here, but any feeling, suggestion or idea is absolutely welcome! The whole point of this is to think about what FluxBB could possibly look like in the future, as core, mods or styles, so lets be constructive smile

Oh, and I used a blue design because it suits well with both FluxBB colors and Bootstrap 3 new color scheme. But it could have been anything else, like these:

1383183309.png 1383183345.png

Last edited by Askelon (2013-10-31 01:55:05)

#2 2013-10-31 07:02:37

Studio384
Developer
Website

Re: FluxBB-Rd: FluxBB redefined for fun and profit

Where is that open-mouth smily when you need it?

Prety cool. smile

#3 2013-10-31 10:34:15

Nowasky

You're a monster. It's like showing a chocolate to a child and not being able to take a bite. sad

#4 2013-10-31 11:20:41

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Wow, very pretty of course! Not sure about the usability of all these icons, especially when it comes to saving and such. The flag etc. for the posts are okay.

I especially like the profile editor, that part is gorgeous.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2013-11-01 19:49:34

adaur
Developer
Website

That's wonderful, I hope you'll release it one day.

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

#6 2013-11-01 20:52:27

K|nG

Nice job wink keep doing such a great changes may this will be the future or some of that on FluxBB 2.0

Recently everything should be new tongue

#7 2013-11-02 07:03:11

Askelon
Website

Well, thanks to all smile

Franz wrote:

Not sure about the usability of all these icons, especially when it comes to saving and such.

Actually, I'm not sure myself about those. I could find a nice way to put a "Go back" link since the main menu is turned to a local menu, so a simple, explicit button my do the trick. As for saving, ideally I'd like to see auto-saving forms, saving through Ajax after being edit, so a save button wouldn't be of any use, except a backup Submit input in case of deactivated Javascript.

adaur wrote:

That's wonderful, I hope you'll release it one day.

For now I wouldn't serve any real purpose, it would need to be in the core for a real useful solution, but fur numerous reasons it won't. Considering this, it would need heavy modifications made to a lot of files, requiring a lot of editing to be done to a basic FluxBB install, making it a too complex Mod in my opinion.

One solution would be a fork, which I don't wan't to do, or something like Visman did, adapting latest FluxBB releases. I might consider it if there is a active demand on that, but it still needs a lot of work anyway.

And to respond to Studio384's question in the latest Round, it's not a working FluxBB, it's still in a stage of mixing HTML templates and concepts for some parts. I don't really plan on making a working FluxBB, at least not yet as stated right above. But I'll start considering it wink

By the way, any idea/suggestion/modification is welcomed!

Last edited by Askelon (2013-11-02 07:03:35)

#8 2013-11-02 14:53:11

Franz
Lead developer
Website

We'll incorporate it into v2.0, that seems like the best option to me. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#9 2013-11-03 06:20:41

cyberman
Website

I like the the forum view.

Could you explain a little bit more how to modify the request to show the labels sticky, answered, subscribed an so on?

#10 2013-11-04 16:48:02

Tijnk

Would definitely like to see various elements of your design/concepts integrated within FluxBB! A modification/adaptation of FluxBB releases would be too much work/time-consuming in my opinion...

Having said that, great work! It really shows the community aspect of forums.

#11 2013-11-08 20:31:37

cptmashek

While I have been meaning to sign up on this forum and stop being a lurker, I haven't really gotten around to it until I saw this. Fantastic work and ideas! This is the sort of thing I've been fumbling at getting done on my own time...

"Artificial Intelligence beats real stupidity any day!"

#12 2013-11-10 14:58:28

Meow
Website

That is good, but I don’t like the gradient and the pretty big avatar.

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#13 2013-11-14 13:35:56

Jack
Website

astonishing, I want everything you showed in the official fluxbb right now! smile

J

Sorry I don't speak English smile
FluxBB Italy

#14 2014-01-13 17:05:10

sh4nks
Website

Woa nice! Am I allowed to use a few code blocks from your `styles.css` in my forum? You haven't uploaded a LICENSE on your git repo. Would be really cool smile

#15 2014-01-14 05:34:39

fungku
Website

Holy shizzlesticks how did I miss this thread?!

That is epic and I want it all this very moment.

Canadian Lumberjack

#16 2014-01-14 08:13:52

Askelon
Website

Added license smile For now it's GPL3, not that I'm fond of it, but that's the current license for FluxBB 2, I'll move to MIT License as soon as the v2.0 does smile

And I just noticed I didn't link the repo: https://github.com/Askelon/FluxBB-Redefined I started to implement some modifications to my own forum, but it represents a lot of heavy modifications, too much for building a decent Mod. But anyone who want to pick up bits and peaces is welcome smile I'll just ask for feedback: could be of great help for future FluxBB designs wink

#17 2014-01-14 16:53:45

fungku
Website

Askelon wrote:

And I just noticed I didn't link the repo: https://github.com/Askelon/FluxBB-Redefined

Thank you!

I'll just ask for feedback: could be of great help for future FluxBB designs wink

Sounds good

Canadian Lumberjack

#18 2014-01-14 17:29:55

sh4nks
Website

Thanks smile!
I'm doing my own forum software in python (inspired a bit by fluxbb smile). But I suck badly at designing ^^

#19 2014-06-17 17:44:51

tamplan

Hi,

I want to know if this theme is a base to develop the FluxBB 2.0 core ?

Especially the profile user views ?

I write a poor english but i try to do the best...

#20 2014-06-18 07:51:46

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yes, this was intended as the start for a new design. Maybe not the timeline on the profile, but generally speaking this is the way to go.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#21 2014-07-21 14:43:15

Michael

Hi there.
Can you share css code brown / golden color scheme?
I'm coding header, and I have to use the "color picker", which is not precise. hmm

PS Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue. I try to do my best, but I'm still making mistakes.

Board footer