Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-02 13:03:57

Studio384
Developer
Website

Round up #7 - We're baaaack!

October is here, so a round up is too. We've had our summer vacation, time for work now. It has been quiet here, we can't ignore that, but let's hope that will change. Anyway, this month, Franz plans to launch FluxBB 1.5.5, a general bugfix release. For the ones that would like to see SQLite 3 support in FluxBB, we've got a topic for that. O, and for the statistics, we're just 10.000 downloads away from our next milestone (300.000), which is impressive if you know that we only crosed the 200.000 milestone back in April.

Plugin: Media.js for FluxBB 1.5.3 and higher
A while ago, a new modification mades it way to the Resource section of this website, a prety impressive modification. This plugin will allow your users to post URLs that will be converted to media content. It supports the most important services like DailyMotion, Vimeo, RuTube, SoundCloud, Google Maps, etc. But also some of which I've never heard (like PromoDJ, Pleer.com, Smotri, etc.). I only can say one thing: check it out.

Download from FluxBB.org

Style: Black_Blue for FluxBB 1.4 and higher
This is a beautiful style, making use of some CSS3 stuff. The style uses a great color scheme and doesn't look even close to the default styles. However, it only uses -webkit- and -moz- in its CSS so Opera 12.1x and lower might not see everything. It also makes way to much use of images, where it actualy could use CSS3 instead. Anyway, a nice style is a nice style. Worth to be listened here.

Download from FluxBB.org

This website poped up in the Show off a couple of days ago (read: yesterday, 1 October, 2013). While the forum itselfs uses a Air-based style, it's integrated and used as forum for a music database-ish website.

SoundtrackCental Website

Last edited by Studio384 (2013-10-07 15:51:43)

#2 2013-10-06 17:03:15

Mpok

Re: Round up #7 - We're baaaack!

Nice annoncement of a fix (1.5.5)…
But what about ALL we want and expect ?

What about 2.0 ?

It's hard to work on it, i KNOW that, BUT it's just more painful for ur fans to NOT KNOW what is going on… sad
Please, just stop these 'annonces' which are just some "we still are there" ones.
=> Give us INFOS.

Talk about ur dev on 2.0 (even if it"s bad news).
Let's involve the community on ur project…

Mpok.

#3 2013-10-06 17:59:40

Studio384
Developer
Website

You'll have to ask Franz for that. So, Franz?

#4 2013-10-06 18:56:01

Mpok

Didn"t know i talked to Franz… wink
But if so, there are some more :
- the fans (our site's viewers…) WANT 2.0.
- publishing in 'annoucement' something like "Round up #n" is JUST LIKE beeing an insult for them (I'm just recalled the main polls from previous posts).

=> So, u have to CHANGE UR VIEW (and matter of communication).
I think (and its just my 5 cents) that :

- u should now ONLY communicate on 2.0 (except the 'security releases' on previous versions).
- u should now change the "Round up" thing on a "Dev up" thing : to bring US (the community) some details about ur dev in progress. Even if it's difficult to undersand, some would. And it'll make them to teach to others. And it will satisfy the "awaiters".
Mpok.

#5 2013-10-07 15:23:28

orkneywd
Website

Mpok doesn't speak for everyone.

I enjoy the monthly roundups as it shows that the FluxBB devs are still active, and it's nice to see contributors of skins and mods getting some homepage exposure smile

Also, the link to the BlackBlue skin is incorrect, seems to be pointing to the Mega Styles pack?

Last edited by orkneywd (2013-10-07 15:24:13)

#6 2013-10-07 15:52:24

Studio384
Developer
Website

orkneywd wrote:

Also, the link to the BlackBlue skin is incorrect, seems to be pointing to the Mega Styles pack?

No, it doesn't...

tongue

Mpok wrote:

Didn"t know i talked to Franz… wink
But if so, there are some more :
- the fans (our site's viewers…) WANT 2.0.
- publishing in 'annoucement' something like "Round up #n" is JUST LIKE beeing an insult for them (I'm just recalled the main polls from previous posts).

=> So, u have to CHANGE UR VIEW (and matter of communication).
I think (and its just my 5 cents) that :

- u should now ONLY communicate on 2.0 (except the 'security releases' on previous versions).
- u should now change the "Round up" thing on a "Dev up" thing : to bring US (the community) some details about ur dev in progress. Even if it's difficult to undersand, some would. And it'll make them to teach to others. And it will satisfy the "awaiters".
Mpok.

What do you expect us to do? We simply don't have anything to share. We can't post a topic with only content "Nothing to share"? I mean: yes we can do that, but that would be pointless, don't ya think? The oly thing I can say: stay tuned.

Last edited by Studio384 (2013-10-07 15:53:54)

#7 2013-10-07 23:26:59

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I kind of like these round ups as they show what's going on in the community, and that's a good thing.

I do, of course, agree that there could be more other news.

I have to admit there's too much work on my shoulders right now. Almost all of the support on these forums is handled by me (which really doesn't have to be this way). But mostly, there's too much about v2.0 that's still in my head, but not communicated. And as far as I know, Laravel knowledge in the rest of the team is very thin.

What I've been playing around with in my head recently was the idea of a crowdfunding campaign a la Kickstarter. That would allow me to study less, and work more on FluxBB for a while. I had planned to do that during this summer break, but unfortunately I had to earn some money. What do you people think about this idea?

Development updates on v2.0 are really coming, though!

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#8 2013-10-08 00:08:22

Squiggles

I say do it Franz, it can only be a good thing for Fluxbb and you guys work very hard and deserve a reward for your time and effort.

#9 2013-10-16 16:17:54

alexanderf

Franz wrote:

I kind of like these round ups as they show what's going on in the community, and that's a good thing.

I have to admit there's too much work on my shoulders right now. Almost all of the support on these forums is handled by me (which really doesn't have to be this way). But mostly, there's too much about v2.0 that's still in my head, but not communicated. And as far as I know, Laravel knowledge in the rest of the team is very thin.

What I've been playing around with in my head recently was the idea of a crowdfunding campaign a la Kickstarter. That would allow me to study less, and work more on FluxBB for a while. I had planned to do that during this summer break, but unfortunately I had to earn some money. What do you people think about this idea?

can it today online Franz?

#10 2013-10-16 18:47:08

Studio384
Developer
Website

alexanderf wrote:
Franz wrote:

Patience my friend... smile

#11 2013-10-16 18:59:50

alexanderf

Studio384 wrote:
alexanderf wrote:
Franz wrote:

yeah!

#12 2013-10-16 19:06:08

Studio384
Developer
Website

alexanderf wrote:
Studio384 wrote:
alexanderf wrote:

yeah!

No no no, that's wrong. You had to comment "So... are we done with the patience yet?" tongue

However, I'm going a little bit to off-topic, I guess.

Last edited by Studio384 (2013-10-16 19:06:38)

#13 2013-10-22 14:08:02

Jack
Website

What do you thing about taking some other developer in the main group? For example, I am thinking about good programmers like Visman, jojaba, adaur (or many other)..... You could check their abilities by giving them some easy task to fix. Some of them could also work on the forum, leaving to Franz more free time.

J

ps: anyway, I personally think that these monthly updates are a very good idea from Studio384. Especially while we're all waiting for some news about the 2.0 version. At the same time they shouldn't be a "replacement" of the 2.0 roadmap. wink

Last edited by Jack (2013-10-22 14:11:45)

Sorry I don't speak English smile
FluxBB Italy

#14 2013-10-22 16:56:08

Studio384
Developer
Website

Jack wrote:

What do you thing about taking some other developer in the main group? For example, I am thinking about good programmers like Visman, jojaba, adaur (or many other)..... You could check their abilities by giving them some easy task to fix. Some of them could also work on the forum, leaving to Franz more free time.

J

ps: anyway, I personally think that these monthly updates are a very good idea from Studio384. Especially while we're all waiting for some news about the 2.0 version. At the same time they shouldn't be a "replacement" of the 2.0 roadmap. wink

Developers are free to join, but they have to ask and have to be known in the community to have some knowledge (reporting bugs, creating mods, fixing bugs, helping people out when they have a problem, etc.). However, they'll have to ask us (read: they have to ask Franz), of course, we can't force them to help.

#15 2013-10-23 09:16:54

Askelon
Developer
Website

On my part I'd love to contribute to 2.0, but I don't really have any time to learn properly how to use Laravel… There's no point in my trying to do something of it if it needs someone more used to the framework to clean after me. I'm more on the front-end design right now, I have a lot of ideas, I have a full profile redesign concept in my design that only waits for me to draw it, but again there's not really a point since the development isn't up to this yet…

Board footer