Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-07 23:07:00

jacob
Website

Anti-SPAM mod

At https://fluxbb.org/resources/mods/anti- … ses/0.1.1/, I have a mod that will prevent most spambots on your forums.

By using a hidden password field on the registration page that most spambots will fill in, it is able to detect and prevent spambots on forums.

Last edited by jacob (2012-06-10 18:49:16)

Jacob G.
Developer at FutureSight Technologies

#2 2012-06-10 17:44:27

stevetheipad

Re: Anti-SPAM mod

Bad link, buddy.

floating on a big blue cloud somewhere above you

#3 2012-06-10 17:57:34

Franz
Lead developer
Website

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#4 2012-06-10 18:48:54

jacob
Website

Oh yeah, I need to fix that link.

Jacob G.

#5 2012-06-19 09:44:35

johnzhang
Website

seems Easy ,thanks for share

#6 2012-06-19 10:41:30

Tasos

Thank you very much, jacob.

#7 2012-06-20 05:33:26

jacob
Website

Tasos wrote:

Thank you very much, jacob.

You're very welcome. smile

Jacob G.

#8 2012-06-20 06:34:54

Tasos

smile

Last edited by Tasos (2012-06-20 06:35:07)

#9 2012-08-22 01:28:28

partikule
Website

Hi Jacob,

In the file register.php, you put the input called "nopost" inside the check :

<?php if ($pun_config['o_regs_verify'] == '0'): ?>

That means that if the registrating user is supposed to get his password by email, the registration will no work with your mod.

Partikule, Agence web à Paris : http://www.partikule.net
Créateur de Ionize CMS : http://www.ionizecms.com
Forum : http://www.ionizecms.com/forum

#10 2012-08-22 01:29:55

jacob
Website

Hmm, I'll look into fixing that.

In FluxBB 1.4.8, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I'll check 1.5 next time I have my personal server on (aka my cheap laptop with Apache on it tongue).

Last edited by jacob (2012-08-22 01:31:31)

Jacob G.

#11 2012-08-22 09:24:18

partikule
Website

This "honey pot" anti-spam system isn't enough and is today non efficient.
Most of the spam bots feed only the needed fields for each forum platform.
Leaving one field empty and checking if the filed is empty is finaly like checking nothing.

To illustrate what I'm saying : I just tested this "Anti-SPAM" on my forum.
Before, I was using a double check : "Honey pot" + "Question /Answer" anti-spam.
The result speaks by itself :
Before: 1 spam registration / day
With "Anti-SPAM" : Just installed 2 hours ago, and I got 6 spam registration.

Jacob, be sure my goal is not to criticize your job, but just to inform users regarding this solution : using it will perhaps work for very old bots but against recent bots, this just will do nothing.

To "minimize" spam registration, the first thing each forum admin should do is to remove the "signature" of fluxBB : "Powered by FluxBB...". Do it at install, to avoid to be in "forums spam list".
To minimize the signatures of your forum, you can also change some terms like "Post reply", "Quick post", "Subscribe to this topic" : Changing one word can make your forum "invisible" by platforms seek tools.
The second thing is to install some "Question / Answer" anti-spam or one re-captcha anti-spam solution. Even it will add one step for the user, it will avoid spam for the spammers who don't pay for "decaptcher" solutions (most of them).
The last (and easy) thing can be to enhance the Jacob's solution by adding a little javascript which feeds the "nopost" input and then check if the value is ok. But again, most of the recent spambots will enable JS and the field will be feeded properly... so...

Regarding FluxxBB, the forum should validate a new user account only if the user has clicked on one validation URL. Even the spambots are able to click on the confirmation mail sent by forums, this enhancement will not allow registration form users who give a fake email address.
One re-captcha and/or Q/A based human test solution should also be integrated in FluxBB. As it is, the forum is too much "open" to spammers.

Partikule, Agence web à Paris : http://www.partikule.net
Créateur de Ionize CMS : http://www.ionizecms.com
Forum : http://www.ionizecms.com/forum

#12 2012-08-22 16:29:01

jacob
Website

partikule wrote:

This "honey pot" anti-spam system isn't enough and is today non efficient.
Most of the spam bots feed only the needed fields for each forum platform.
Leaving one field empty and checking if the filed is empty is finaly like checking nothing.

To illustrate what I'm saying : I just tested this "Anti-SPAM" on my forum.
Before, I was using a double check : "Honey pot" + "Question /Answer" anti-spam.
The result speaks by itself :
Before: 1 spam registration / day
With "Anti-SPAM" : Just installed 2 hours ago, and I got 6 spam registration.

Jacob, be sure my goal is not to criticize your job, but just to inform users regarding this solution : using it will perhaps work for very old bots but against recent bots, this just will do nothing.

To "minimize" spam registration, the first thing each forum admin should do is to remove the "signature" of fluxBB : "Powered by FluxBB...". Do it at install, to avoid to be in "forums spam list".
To minimize the signatures of your forum, you can also change some terms like "Post reply", "Quick post", "Subscribe to this topic" : Changing one word can make your forum "invisible" by platforms seek tools.
The second thing is to install some "Question / Answer" anti-spam or one re-captcha anti-spam solution. Even it will add one step for the user, it will avoid spam for the spammers who don't pay for "decaptcher" solutions (most of them).
The last (and easy) thing can be to enhance the Jacob's solution by adding a little javascript which feeds the "nopost" input and then check if the value is ok. But again, most of the recent spambots will enable JS and the field will be feeded properly... so...

Regarding FluxxBB, the forum should validate a new user account only if the user has clicked on one validation URL. Even the spambots are able to click on the confirmation mail sent by forums, this enhancement will not allow registration form users who give a fake email address.
One re-captcha and/or Q/A based human test solution should also be integrated in FluxBB. As it is, the forum is too much "open" to spammers.

I'm sorry that this isn't working for you. I published this because it worked for me on my forum.

Jacob G.

#13 2019-04-11 12:23:39

Pierre Ferson

I have downlouded it to my pc
but how do i get it into my flux forum
I think with an FTP but where and how
do i need to extract it first
dont know annithing abouth it

Pierre

#14 2019-04-14 14:13:48