Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-24 14:21:09

MasterZ

Is this possible?

Person one uses a proxy site, lets say www.myproxydotcom. And he surfs a lot on that proxy, makes forum accounts through it and stuff. And now Person 2 has come across that proxy and starts to use it a lot, but he doesn't use it to sign up for accounts. Now a forum is hacked using the same proxy that person number 1 uses. And because Person number two has never used that proxy on said forum, is it possible that this points to the forum host to think Person 1 hacked it?

#2 2012-04-25 20:43:50

Oldskool
Former Developer
Website

Re: Is this possible?

Not sure I'm quite following you, but any hoster that suspects a single person of a hack through a public proxy is very ignorant, that's for sure wink

Either way, I presume it's possible for the host to match the "hackers" IP to the one of the forum users. But, since it's a public proxy, that IP is totally worthless and doesn't prove anything by itself without contacting the proxy owner for further connection logs.

Last edited by Oldskool (2012-04-25 20:44:35)

#3 2012-04-25 22:46:54

Newman

If your forum is getting hacked with someone on a proxy, it wouldn't matter to block them from using the proxy, fix the hack server side.

#4 2012-04-25 23:56:16

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

Oldskool wrote:

Not sure I'm quite following you, but any hoster that suspects a single person of a hack through a public proxy is very ignorant, that's for sure wink

Either way, I presume it's possible for the host to match the "hackers" IP to the one of the forum users. But, since it's a public proxy, that IP is totally worthless and doesn't prove anything by itself without contacting the proxy owner for further connection logs.

As the hoster in question, I suppose I should add my two cents here. wink

The background here is that one of the forums on PunBB-Hosting has a tendency to be "compromised" (as in, someone guesses/figures out the password for an admin user). The forum in question is run by a number of (presumably) preteens with poor password management skills. The user who posted this topic has been the chief troublemaker and I eventually put an IP ban in place as a result.

So, when that same forum gets "compromised" again and I track the requests back to an IP used by this user, I'm fairly unsympathetic. I'm similarly unsympathetic when I'm sent screenshots of "chat logs" with "the real hacker." Because honestly, I have better things to do with my time than try to mediate a dispute between a bunch of preteens on the Internet.

Last edited by Smartys (2012-04-25 23:56:52)

#5 2012-04-26 03:32:21

MasterZ

Smartys wrote:
Oldskool wrote:

As the hoster in question, I suppose I should add my two cents here. wink

The background here is that one of the forums on PunBB-Hosting has a tendency to be "compromised" (as in, someone guesses/figures out the password for an admin user). The forum in question is run by a number of (presumably) preteens with poor password management skills. The user who posted this topic has been the chief troublemaker and I eventually put an IP ban in place as a result.

So, when that same forum gets "compromised" again and I track the requests back to an IP used by this user, I'm fairly unsympathetic. I'm similarly unsympathetic when I'm sent screenshots of "chat logs" with "the real hacker." Because honestly, I have better things to do with my time than try to mediate a dispute between a bunch of preteens on the Internet.

I don't have disputes with the people of the forum, the owner knows i'm not the one doing it. I'm trying to stay true the e-mail I sent you 4 months ago about me coming back to your forums, not as a trouble maker. But because these jerks  keeps using my ip, you think it's me, which just makes me look like I'm impatient and a liar. The people who have been using my ip, again, has changed your password on said Punbb forums. They log on using my Ip hider and delete the boards and users. But I knew that if I told you this months back you would accuse me of being on your account.

It's fine you're unsympathetic, but can you stop saying i'm doing this unless you get more proof than my proxy ip? Because anyone can use that same site and share that ip.

Last edited by MasterZ (2012-04-26 03:33:03)

#6 2013-01-08 13:44:43

nancyfromafrica

i hate hackers, we all hate them some where down below

i love surfing i have a small iphone review forum

Board footer