Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-14 23:30:35

Franz
Lead developer
Website

On resources

It is both my duty and pleasure to inform you about ongoing and upcoming changes around our "resources" repository.

First of all: unfortunately, we will not be able to continue reviewing modifications. This job has been far too time-consuming and resource-intensive to keep it up with our limited resources and team size. This duty has also mostly been fulfilled by Quy Ton, who will only have very little time for FluxBB until October. Thank you for all the efforts and your eye for detail, though!

The bright side: you will never have to wait for us to review a quick release that just fixes a little problem in an older version of your modification. Still, we obviously don't want to see the quality of submitted modifications drop. There are multiple options on how we could go about this, and we would like to receive some input from the community about them.

We could

• add a simple rating system.
    This would happen similar to how it is done on many other sites: registered users are able to rate a modification, using a 5-star-system. This way we would basically use the crowd to come up with good recommendations on the quality of modifications.

• allow users to write comments/reviews.
    Users could write a small text about a modification, judging its quality. This would, of course, take more time for users and less users would contribute.

• do something else?
    What are your suggestions? I can also imagine the 5-star-rating in combination with automatically generated per-release forum topics - the way it was done at PunRes. Your input, please!

Let's move on to nicer things:
After having started with removing all the review code from the repository, I am currently in the process of cleaning it up. This has always been the major roadblocker for me to adapt the repository to plugins and styles, too. But you can now expect the plugin repository to roll out fairly soon. How does that sound?

On a related note, I would like to add a screenshots feature to modifications. Is that a good idea? What would you think is the most important feature that is still missing?

P.S.: The release of FluxBB v1.4.6, our last feature release in the 1.4 branch, is just around the corner. Another update on the progress of v2.0 is also in the pipeline. Stay tuned!

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#2 2011-07-15 06:38:07

François
Website

Re: On resources

I'm for the 5-star-rating system with the topic, both by released, with the link in the release page. And a screenshots system will be very useful for some mods.

The other things we all missed is the possibility to add language files to a released, even if we don't are the creator of the mod ! With a link to the topic on the national board associate to the language files.

Maybe a way to contact the creator privately if we find a hole in his system, who send an email to him ?

We posted the message on the French board if you want to follow the topic : http://fluxbb.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=12109 wink

Last edited by François (2011-07-15 11:08:32)

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#3 2011-07-15 19:19:37

AlexMax

I would like to see comments and # of downloads within the past X amount of time (maybe 30 days?) as visible metrics.

IMHO ratings don't work because they're easily gamed (one five star rating > a thousand ratings that average to 4.9) and also reflect one point in time (plugin might have been good a year ago but it hasn't been maintained in a year and for a couple of forum version updates).  If you're dead set on ratings, read this first.

Last edited by AlexMax (2011-07-15 19:19:57)

#4 2011-07-16 00:57:58

Jack
Website

I think its a good idea: you will have more time and resources for the main project that we love the most! smile

I agree too: the rating system should be the better, I would restrict the voting system to the forum member to avoid "alterations".

J

Sorry I don't speak English smile
FluxBB Italy

#5 2011-07-16 20:23:14

adaur
Developer
Website

For me, the perfect repository system would:

• have a 5-star-rating system as you said, but it's not the most important thing

• post a topic in Modifications (1.4) like in PunRes or FluxBB.fr, because right now this section is a little bit messy, you can't find what you're looking for and there's too many things together ("official" support for some mods, works in projects, etc). It would accept BBCode, so screenshots, etc.

• keep the review system for the interested authors; something like a quality label (approved by FluxBB's staff ?)

IMO, this repo would be the best.

Last edited by adaur (2011-07-16 20:23:41)

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

#6 2011-07-16 20:29:49

Franz
Lead developer
Website

@adaur:
Would this Modifications board only contain release announcements the way you see it?

The problem with the review system is that we cannot do it. It is too much work, and right now there is no way around that fact.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#7 2011-07-16 20:39:39

adaur
Developer
Website

Yes, exactly like this http://www.punres.net/viewforum.php?id=1 or http://fluxbb.fr/forums/viewforum.php?id=11

If you're interested, I can give some time for FluxBB and help to review mods - even if I'm not as good as Quy smile.

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

#8 2011-07-16 21:26:18

gnat
Website

Both a simple rating system and comment system would be nice. Although one is better than none.

Wordpress' repo makes use of both and it goes a long way to illustrating the quality of the Mods.

Last edited by gnat (2011-07-16 21:26:59)

#9 2011-07-18 14:52:36

OutHost
Website

Good to hear the next release is just around the corner. smile

#10 2011-07-25 05:06:22

jojaba
Website

Franz wrote:

After having started with removing all the review code from the repository, I am currently in the process of cleaning it up. This has always been the major roadblocker for me to adapt the repository to plugins and styles, too. But you can now expect the plugin repository to roll out fairly soon. How does that sound?

Great! Does this mean that we can soon submit new styles and also... have a webplatform for languages submission? ;p
PS : could we have a diff about the language files between 1.4.5 and 1.4.6 please?

Last edited by jojaba (2011-07-25 05:08:44)

Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

#11 2011-08-12 07:50:59

kevan

good.

Board footer