Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 00:14:51

Reines
Administrator
Website

Add language packs into core?

Pierre suggested here that it might be a good idea to add some of the language packs to the core, and before a release gather patches from the language maintainers, that way they are kept up-to-date more easily for users.

I think this sounds like a good idea for some of better maintained packs, and it obviously would make things easier for users. The only downside I can think of is the need to make sure they are up-to-date before a release, but that might not be a bad thing.

Thoughts? Downsides I'm missing?

#2 2011-01-23 10:01:21

François
Website

Re: Add language packs into core?

I totally agree, especially since the install and upgrade are translatable ! Most of the PHP software (Bulletin Boards, CMS) have language packs in the core.

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#3 2011-01-23 14:25:18

zaher
Website

It is good idea, but my Arabic language need RTL css files to work as needed, for that i prefer for now to not make it official.

I like InnoSetup idea that make Official and Unofficial language packs, and people vote for their languages before become Official, they votes in message list.

One of features i like to have, it is mix both LTR and RTL in one install, i can do it as contributor just need a permission.

#4 2011-01-23 17:54:10

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I'm all against this. wink

I support packaging complete language packs within the core, though. Let me explain: Once the translation center is done (I know you've heard that dumb sentence two often now; I still haven't written the post explaining myself, have I?), everybody will have a very easy way to complete language packs. More people can contribute, that way we don't have to wait on certain people to finish their translation in order to make a release. Partially finished packs can simply be "filled" with the original English translations. I could go on and on, but I should probably spend the time writing about the translation center...

For the core repository itself, I think these would be too many dependencies, though. Alternative for the short-term future: we have a README in the language repository. We can just ask the translators to add the currently supported FluxBB version behind the language name. Not very elegant, but simple and helpful.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2011-01-30 20:26:34

Reines
Administrator
Website

Does anyone else have any input on this? I still think it's a good idea...

#6 2011-02-03 06:27:52

cyberman
Website

Another idea could be to provide two versions - a simple core version (with main language) and a full version (with all available translations).

So users can decide ...

#7 2011-02-03 22:56:59

taylorchu

I think core should be clean, english only and single default theme provided.

#8 2011-02-08 16:36:45

LOL

I think there's no obivious bad effect for using,  add it or not,your choose.

#9 2011-02-08 17:11:14

adaur
Developer
Website

cyberman wrote:

Another idea could be to provide two versions - a simple core version (with main language) and a full version (with all available translations).

So users can decide ...

Good idea, lite and full version smile +1

FeatherBB - A simple and lightweight new generation forum system
Based on FluxBB, written in PHP, using Slim Framework for a proper OOP-MVC architecture.

#10 2011-02-08 17:25:58

Jack
Website

François wrote:

I totally agree, especially since the install and upgrade are translatable ! Most of the PHP software (Bulletin Boards, CMS) have language packs in the core.

+1

J

Sorry I don't speak English smile
FluxBB Italy

#11 2012-06-08 14:47:48

Lanark

One thing to add to this - it is common for an English board to have bilingual members who will set the language to their native language, but still post in English.

When using the (quote=) option the parser adds a line like "username wrote:"

So the option to consider, should the parser change that to "username escribió: " or "username a écrit: " etc

Ideally this would reflect the language of the reader not the language settings of the poster.

#12 2012-06-08 21:09:38

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Lanark wrote:

Ideally this would reflect the language of the reader not the language settings of the poster.

Huh? I thought it does, no?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#13 2012-06-08 22:45:04

Lanark

^ I havent tried it, I'm just mentioning it because I've noticed a lot of other boards get that detail wrong when quoting posts.

Board footer