Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-24 17:29:51

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Moving on

I am quite happy to be able to say that FluxBB can look back at a pretty solid year after overcoming the chaos that followed the legacy release of FluxBB 1.3. It took us a while, but we were able to get FluxBB 1.4, our current stable branch, released. We fixed bugs, totally revamped our website (which now offers much more than before, starting with the modification repository). And, last but not least, we are trying to get the community more involved not only, but also by moving our source code management to GitHub.

After two maintenance releases and one up-coming feature release (read on for more about that) we feel that our 1.4 branch is now fairly stable, and it is now time to make a start on the next stage in FluxBB's future.

The 1.4 branch was never supposed to be the end of the road, but rather a milestone before getting back to what 1.3 was once meant to be. Granted, 1.4.0 has become more than just that, but this also gives us more security and a solid base to build our future on.

How we reach that future was the question we brought to the community four months ago. We wanted to hear your opinion because we saw two options for us to move on: either do a complete rewrite of the software, called 2.0, or, step-by-step, improve this software incrementally. The aim was the same: at the end, we wanted to have a 2.0 version, complete with a template system, extensions and much, much more.
But how to get there? The incremental approach would both be good and bad for our users, we felt: they would get regular heavy updates, but this would also make updating a pain (especially with and for modifications). On the other hand, rewriting would allow us to create the "perfect" forum software from scratch. But, knowing our past and our current team size, we knew this could take a long time.

So here is what we have come up with after all of your input: While we would of course enjoy a rewrite (give me a developer who wouldn't), we feel that it would be too big a task - especially with our relatively small team.

With FluxBB 1.4, we all can enjoy a very stable and working code base. It would be foolish to throw away all of this work and the many ideas and solutions that went into this just for something we feel could be a better architecture. We still don't want to give up on that architecture, though. Our goal for the next major release is still named 2.0, but not through a rewrite. We are confident that we can start at 1.4 and create a 2.0 version by refactoring - re-arranging and -architecturing the existing source code rather than throwing it away and rewriting from scratch.

This gives us the freedom to concentrate on building a well-designed system without having to reimplement all the actual application code that makes FluxBB what it is now. Another benefit of this approach is also that we can release an intermediate version (aka "1.5" at almost any time if the development takes too long).

As a quick reminder: The most important features that you can look forward to for 2.0 are an extension system, a real template and style system and improved integration with other software by making it easier to interchange certain parts of the system (like the authentication adapter, for example). It is also planned to drop the PHP4 support with the release of our next major version, so that we can benefit from PHP5's better object-orientation support when further modularizing the software.

Let's get back to the very short-term future:
The release of 1.4.3, which will consist of about 20 bug fixes and quite a lot of improvements, is now close around the corner. After that, we want to focus on planning the details of 2.0 (i.e. what features should be included, and in what order they should be added), while we fix remaining issues and finish parts of the site that are still missing.

It is not far to the end of 2010 and we can now look back at what was probably the most exciting year in the (young) history of FluxBB. With the move to a new server and the release of our new website, the release of v1.4.0 and the following updates we covered big milestones on our road to providing the users with a stable and modern platform while staying true to our philosophy of shipping fast, light-weight and user-friendly software.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#2 2010-11-24 19:02:33

Flux

Re: Moving on

I recently upgraded from PunBB 1.3 to FluxBB's newest released software and have to give you guys a lot of kuddos. You have done a great job. I look forward to the new updates and especially 2.0 (the extension system sounds great.) Your team's forum software is extremely appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by Flux (2010-11-24 19:18:14)

#3 2010-11-24 19:03:53

Canaris

Sounds awesome! And I am really looking forward to the extension system. Keep up the good work! It is much appreciated!

#4 2010-11-24 19:54:39

François
Website

Thanks for the update !

I guess that to chose what features should be included won't be easy.

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#5 2010-11-24 23:14:27

Plazzmex

Great... FluxBB is the best... Keep up the good work.

#6 2010-11-27 17:38:59

Hemen

Not a rewrite i'm disaponted now punbb will copy the 2.0 fluxbb...

RIP 2008-2008

Reborn in 2010

#7 2010-11-28 20:08:56

Meow
Website

Hemen wrote:

Not a rewrite i'm disaponted now punbb will copy the 2.0 fluxbb...

Is not PunBB already dead in 2009?

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#8 2010-12-03 04:15:39

Flux

Is there an expected release date?

#9 2010-12-03 09:22:06

Reines
Administrator
Website

Flux wrote:

For 1.4.3 for 2.0? 1.4.3, soon hopefully, most the tickets are done, but we've had barely any time recently to work on it. 2.0, no, we haven't started work on it, other than thinking.

#10 2010-12-04 21:19:19

Mpok

@Reines : noted your decision. Was not my own choice (would prefer the 'rewrite' way), but good luck anyway !
Gonna follow u in that (new) way.

#11 2010-12-08 19:33:18

jojaba
Website

Reines wrote:
Flux wrote:

1.4.3, soon hopefully, most the tickets are done, but we've had barely any time recently to work on it.

Just to be aware, is there translation needs for this release ? Is the install file localized ?

Last edited by jojaba (2010-12-08 19:33:33)

Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

#12 2010-12-08 19:39:11

jojaba
Website

jojaba wrote:
Reines wrote:
Flux wrote:

1.4.3, soon hopefully, most the tickets are done, but we've had barely any time recently to work on it.

Just to be aware, is there translation needs for this release ? Is the install file localized ?

Found the answer to my second question : https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/blob/m … nstall.php
Sorry, I was too quick to ask hmm

Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

#13 2010-12-12 19:08:38

WarStopper

love Flux, ive only just joined and i think there could be more but so far its great

#14 2011-01-07 15:54:05

Serverhund

Having used Punbb for a long time, I'm about to establish another forum and when I found Flux there was no doubt.  smile

My newest forum is powered by FluxBB

#15 2011-03-20 14:33:46

Lanark

Franz wrote:

It would be foolish to throw away all of this work and the many ideas and solutions that went into this just for something we feel could be a better architecture.

Agree completely, something I'd like to see in a future version would be support for easily changing the colours and fonts of the standard themes so that you get away from every other FluxxBB forum having the exact same  colour scheme.

#16 2011-07-23 19:00:05

poopsicle

Canaris wrote:

Sounds awesome! And I am really looking forward to the extension system. Keep up the good work! It is much appreciated!

I'm thoroughly impressed and switching from phpbb3.

Thanks for a wonderful product!

Board footer