Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 20:25:49

kromonos
Website

Summer-/Wintertime autochange

Where can I find option, that a fluxbb board automaticly changed from Summer- to Wintertime?

uhuC - German IT Board ... FluxBB Powered smile

#2 2010-11-01 21:01:30

Christian
Website

Re: Summer-/Wintertime autochange

There is no automatic function which switches daylight saving time on or off.

There is an option in your profile, which adds an hour, if you check it.

http://www.fluxbb.de - Deutschsprachiges FluxBB Supportforum

#3 2010-11-09 12:05:43

François
Website

Could we not use the parameter "I" from the date function in PHP (Whether or not the date is in daylight saving time) ? It's quite frustrating to have to ask at every members of our board to check / uncheck this checkbox twice a year hmm

Here a contribution from fluxbb.fr, who must work for French users, and surely could work for different country : http://fluxbb.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=94349#p94349

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#4 2010-11-09 12:28:32

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Hello,

The main problem with date handling and possible automation transition winter time <-> summer time is that we should abandon support for PHP 4 to use only PHP => 5.2.0.
Indeed, the DateTime class and DateTimeZone (and their related functions) are active only since PHP 5.2.0.

Using these classes, it is quite possible to fully automate the scheduling passes Winter <-> Summer whatever was the servers and clients.

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#5 2010-11-09 14:20:08

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

François wrote:

Could we not use the parameter "I" from the date function in PHP (Whether or not the date is in daylight saving time) ? It's quite frustrating to have to ask at every members of our board to check / uncheck this checkbox twice a year hmm

Here a contribution from fluxbb.fr, who must work for French users, and surely could work for different country : http://fluxbb.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=94349#p94349

Because that reflects the truth with regard to the timezone for the server, not the timezone for the user. Since users are in different timezones and different physical locations, DST kicks in at different times.

Last edited by Smartys (2010-11-09 14:20:34)

#6 2010-11-09 15:05:17

Reines
Administrator
Website

Which would be fine for a country specific site such as fluxbb.fr, but not really for a more international site. As Otomatic said, using DateTimeZone would be a good solution if we don't need to support outdated versions of PHP 4, so if would be a good feature to add in FluxBB 2.0, though not the 1.4 branch.

#7 2010-11-09 15:48:40

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

To deal with the least possible error automatic passages from and to DST and standard time, users should define for the database, users table and field timezone not a timezone location (UTC UTC +01:00, UTC-05: 00, etc.). but a true Timezone: Europe/Paris, America/New_York, America/Argentina/Ushuaia, Asia/Tokyo, Asia/Dubai, Africa/Lome, Pacific/Honolulu, etc. corresponding at date.timezone = Europe/Paris from php.ini or date_default_timezone_set() function.

At that time, a code like:

$date_default_save = date_default_timezone_get();
date_default_timezone_set($pun_user['timezone']);
if(date('I')) .... // It is summer time in the user
date_default_timezone_set($date_default_save);

would automatically handle DST passages.

But... does not work in PHP 4

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

Board footer