Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-15 22:05:45

trusktr

Use @ symbol to aim a reply towards someone, and notify by email!

Just wanted to say that, aside from being able to subscribe to a topic in fluxBB-powered forums, it'd be cool if an email notification is sent whenever someone quotes you when they press reply, or also when they use the @ symbol to precede your user name. A user could optionally turn these features on/off in their profile settings (on by default).

Also, It'd be cool to have a dashboard to see who has replied to you with the latest reply shown first, and who has @ed you, latest shown first.

#2 2010-09-16 05:14:40

artoodetoo

Re: Use @ symbol to aim a reply towards someone, and notify by email!

It's nice idea!
But... Twitter style is not the rule yet. This will more helpful when some JS hyperlink will address you right.

31029772.png

Last edited by artoodetoo (2010-09-16 05:21:27)

I'm not a fan of FluxBB way anymore.

#3 2010-09-16 05:56:48

trusktr

Well i'm guessing fluxBB is PHP, right? PHP should do the trick. You can have it automatically create a link, email the user, etc.

However, with some extra JS, you might be able to make a live pull down menu (like facebook's) that shows you names to choose from. These names could be all the users who have commented in the current thread.

#4 2010-12-17 00:17:15

BaconCZE

Well, I did this few days ago. I have just edited the post.php. I did it like this:

[FIND]

$quote = '[quote='.$q_poster.']'.$q_message.'[/quote]'."\n";

[REPLACE WITH]

$quote = '[url='.$pun_config['o_base_url'].'/viewtopic.php?pid='.$qid.'#p'.$qid.']'.$q_poster.'[/url]:'."\n";

This is the most simple method. Than I deleted redundant database queries (for quoted message, which is no longer needed) and now when I click on "Quote" I get:
[ url=url_of_post ]Nickname:[ /url ]

I don't understand JS, so I can't do it in JS for quick reply, but it would by cool! You would just click on something like "Mention", and then you can write multiple "quotes".

#5 2010-12-18 08:23:41

trusktr

That's interesting @BaconCZE ! <--Can you make so that if i did that, it'd email you a notification??? big_smile

#6 2010-12-18 11:15:28

FSX
Former Developer
Website

Wouldn't you create a huge flow of emails with that? Everything a name is mentioned. You would need to make something that doesn't send 3 emails when your name is mentioned 3 times in a post, but only one.

But I think people can just subscribe to a topic and just use normal conversation methods in the posts. wink

#7 2011-02-25 10:37:18

gerald

here's a thought. if people want that functionality, use a twitter-clone and not a forum. as twitter remains to be sold (it's essentially useless you see) i think it should be avoided.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm English.

Board footer