Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#76 2010-05-03 00:18:14

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Welcome to our new website :)

Styling is always difficult, isn't it?

For example, I like the red menu styling because it is a nice contrast to the site theme and this particular shade of red fits very well to the rest of the site (in my eyes). Also, red is already used for link hover styles wink

Nontheless, I totally see your points and they should be discussed.

Regarding the forum menu item, though: That was added after request and by now I sometimes wonder why we didn't have it there already. You see, it's hard to suit everybody. The forum is the main point of this site and should be easily reachable. But if you can come up with something about how to combine the two tabs, that would be really cool, too...

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#77 2010-05-03 00:40:03

Sampi

About the people talking about the server speed, it still loads noticeably faster from the US than the old site.

Maybe being on the east coast helps, though. wink

#78 2010-05-04 06:43:22

GHOwner

Franz wrote:

Styling is always difficult, isn't it?

For example, I like the red menu styling because it is a nice contrast to the site theme and this particular shade of red fits very well to the rest of the site (in my eyes). Also, red is already used for link hover styles wink

Nontheless, I totally see your points and they should be discussed.

Regarding the forum menu item, though: That was added after request and by now I sometimes wonder why we didn't have it there already. You see, it's hard to suit everybody. The forum is the main point of this site and should be easily reachable. But if you can come up with something about how to combine the two tabs, that would be really cool, too...

I am stating opinion, but I state such in a more general approach. My suggests are purely design aesthetics. I see what you're referring to, but to put the psychological aspect of it, it's not that effective. Sure, people will learn it and work it to soon make a type of connection, but generally (on an average perspective) it'll cause some discomfort, even if minimal, and thus distract some flow.

I'm not saying red couldn't be used (as that would just be my personal design tastes if I did) I just meant it doesn't reference enough for the type of element it is (essentially a 'tab' that helps state what section a user is in). If headers were red or otherwise another aspect of importance was red, it would work out better to keep flow going.

The tab was pure opinion. It can work and I understand how it helps people find the forums better, it just seems like maybe a better solution could be made for tidy reasons and simplicity. But not at all an actual flaw.

EDIT: just to add, the red works well with the air theme due to it being a rollover (hover) state, like it is with the links (makes a connection that creates a flow) where as the top site tabs (not the air theme) keep a red element constantly as a static state.

Last edited by GHOwner (2010-05-04 06:45:59)

#79 2010-05-04 07:32:06

Franz
Lead developer
Website

GHOwner wrote:

EDIT: just to add, the red works well with the air theme due to it being a rollover (hover) state, like it is with the links (makes a connection that creates a flow) where as the top site tabs (not the air theme) keep a red element constantly as a static state.

Makes sense.

I think Paul was still revising the menu, so it might become something entirely different in the end.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#80 2010-05-04 21:10:55

Ledo

I think old people might have troubles with this new website. It's just too fast.

#81 2010-05-17 00:14:50

SolykZ
Website

Hi there! (-:

First of all: wow. I never saw something loading as faster as this website! Oô

Secondly: I just submitted three mods for 1.4RC3. On the mods' main page, I can read "We are currently hosting 10 modifications.". If I click on the link, the page shows "Modifications ( 7 found )". So, the main page takes account of the "under reviews" mods. I don't know if it's an error or what, but I thought it was better to warn you, and sorry if I misposted this message. (-:

SolykZ, apprentice modder.
...my English is probably the worst thing you'll ever see. PLEASE correct me if I make mistakes. (-:

#82 2010-05-17 03:50:16

Lirodon

F6tws.png

Tidbit of what's to come...

#83 2010-05-17 14:57:28

SolykZ
Website

Hi there!

I've got another suggestion: it would be nice to see which mods an 'x' user has submitted, on his profile. The mods pages shows a link to the modder's profile, so... That's all! (-:

See you! (-:

SolykZ, apprentice modder.
...my English is probably the worst thing you'll ever see. PLEASE correct me if I make mistakes. (-:

#84 2010-05-20 21:09:18

twohawks

Just passing thru, no real time to look around, but gotta say...
...feels good here, good job.
West Coast US... its fast.
Nice sculpting, Paul.

Congrats to you hard dedicated folk ;^)

2 comments...
1) I agree... a little wider would be better.  I think you can safely take it out to default of 940px  (I measure about 876 here)
2) On the first page it says this is version 1.3-legacy  ...is that correct?

Cheers from Nevada,

Last edited by twohawks (2010-05-20 21:10:36)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function.
No Form is the Tool.

#85 2010-05-20 21:18:45

Franz
Lead developer
Website

twohawks wrote:

Uh, what, where?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#86 2010-05-21 19:44:47

twohawks

Franz wrote:
twohawks wrote:

Uh, what, where?

Smarty's post... #20
Maybe I read that out of context??  The link he provides is on this site, no?...

Last edited by twohawks (2010-05-21 19:45:32)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function.
No Form is the Tool.

#87 2010-05-21 19:47:15

Reines
Administrator
Website

twohawks wrote:
Franz wrote:
twohawks wrote:

Uh, what, where?

Smarty's post... #20
Maybe I read that out of context??  The link he provides is on this site, no?...

He was pointing out an error on the about page, we have fixed it now though.

#88 2010-05-22 20:20:42

twohawks

@Reines:  lol, okay then ;^)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function.
No Form is the Tool.

#89 2010-05-23 22:20:52

Ledo

I often click on all my links in my bookmarks. And check pages that are interesting to me enough to check them out on daily bases. And this are usually very superficial visits. Just to see whats new. What's going on!

And i said before. And i will say again. When i "land" on Fluxbb. The only problem i have is. There is no place on the page where recent activities (on forums) would be listed. And i could go manually into each forum. To see whats going on. But i think it would be much better if somewhere there would be short list of recent activity. Then when i see something i am interested in. I click on it. If there is no such a list. Often i and probably some other people will miss something that they would normally react to and include them self in the debate.

So basically. I miss active topics list somewhere on the site.

That's about it!

#90 2010-05-23 22:24:16

Reines
Administrator
Website

You can see posts in the last 24 hours here, and posts since your last visit here. Isn't that what you're after?

#91 2010-05-25 22:39:44

Ledo

Yes and no. smile

"Latest announcements" on front page. If it would be something like that i would like it the most.

#92 2010-05-26 02:14:19

orkneywd
Website

I was checking the front page of the website and thinking that there had been no forum posts for a week. It wasnt until I logged in and actually clicked on the forum that I realised the front page only showed "Latest Announcements" - I know it says Announcements but I could have sworn it previously showed latest posts?

#93 2010-05-26 05:48:28

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I guess that's because you knew the old homepage. hmm

Last edited by Franz (2010-05-26 05:48:35)

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#94 2010-06-24 12:14:31

Kaboon
Website

I agree with downliner, I really miss the active topics on the front page. sad

#95 2010-12-14 21:16:46

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Just as a heads-up: Today we crossed 1,000,000 pageviews, if you can trust Google Analytics! smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

Board footer