Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-11 15:48:03

Patrick
Website

StopForumSpam extension

I think it'd be great if there was an extension that polled the StopForumSpam.com database when people tried to register, and blocked them from registering if their IP address was found in the DB.

With the help of this thread I added a few lines of code to my register.php and post.php files:

$urlchecker = file_get_contents('http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip='.get_remote_address());
 if (strpos($urlchecker, 'yes'))
        message($lang_common['Ban message']);

So now whenever a "user" is trying to register with an IP address known to be used by a spammer, they'll be prevented from registering.

But of course whenever FluxBB is updated you'd have to re-add this code again to your files, which could be a pain.

An extension that did this automatically (not only for new registrations, but for people trying to post as well, in case guest posting is enabled in a forum) would be awesome.

smile

#2 2010-04-11 16:51:08

Smartys
Former Developer
Website

Re: StopForumSpam extension

There are no extensions in 1.4.

#3 2010-04-11 16:58:42

Patrick
Website

I meant modification.

#4 2010-04-12 01:01:49

MattF
Website

Patrick wrote:

But of course whenever FluxBB is updated you'd have to re-add this code again to your files, which could be a pain.

Pop the code in it's own file and require. At least it's only a one liner then. big_smile

Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

#5 2011-02-19 22:10:55

trichome

I've been using the code snipped posted here (thanks MattF!) to check the visitor's ip against the stopforumspam blacklist on the registration page. It's great to me because it's quick and easy to set up after an upgrade and doesn't make any changes to the database, etc. Also very effective.

Of course, spammers that aren't yet in the sfs database get through so I add them to it myself. It would be really convenient if there was a way to do this automatically! Seemingly all it would take is an extra link (only displayed for admins) on each profile page like this:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/add.php?username=USERNAME&ip_addr=IPADDRESS&email=EMAILADDRESS&api_key=ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I tried to hack something together from Reines' mod but my total lack of PHP skill stopped that. If one of you PHP ninjas could lend your talents that would be awesome. smile

Last edited by trichome (2011-02-20 10:19:28)

Board footer