Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-03-13 13:39:57

clintonmass
Member
Registered: 2008-11-22
Posts: 37

Re: Style competition entries

I didn't submit anything, so I probably shouldn't be critical smile, but none of these really do much for me. But my design aesthetic is extremely simple, which isn't for everyone. Technetium comes close, but I feel that gradients are overdone. Again, no slight toward the developers intended, I am sure you worked hard on these.

Are there screenshots of the Air style available somewhere?

Offline

#27 2010-03-13 14:12:52

quy
Administrator
From: California
Registered: 2008-05-09
Posts: 929

Re: Style competition entries

clintonmass wrote:

Are there screenshots of the Air style available somewhere?

http://fluxbb.org/forums/post/29210/#p29210

Offline

#28 2010-03-13 15:22:51

Yeggor
Member
From: Moscow, Russia
Registered: 2008-12-28
Posts: 22

Re: Style competition entries

Technetium.
And I agree with larger line-height in posts.
I like serif font, it's a good idea

Last edited by Yeggor (2010-03-13 15:25:12)

Offline

#29 2010-03-13 16:01:13

Plazzmex
Member
Registered: 2008-07-24
Posts: 85

Re: Style competition entries

I agree with some that said that it is better to be shipped with as much less styles and colors variants, because it makes the package bigger.
People can download this in the repository.

Offline

#30 2010-03-13 17:01:52

Lirodon
Member
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 98

Re: Style competition entries

Plazzmex wrote:

I agree with some that said that it is better to be shipped with as much less styles and colors variants, because it makes the package bigger.
People can download this in the repository.

All of the current FluxBB themes shipped are comprised of ONLY cascading style sheets. Technetium uses gradient overlays in places and its own graphical post icons, but its still primarily CSS.

Also, I've actually been listening to your critique, and I've changed the theme accordingly. It is now default to a fluid size, the brdwelcome bar is now single-lined like the 1.3 one (sans the period on the "Logged in as" part, if that could be added with CSS somehow, that'd be great), the line-height has been increased, the icons have been redone to fit the color scheme better, and the settings pages are now a bit more like the ones in Air.

xvhLY.jpg

Also just for fun, I tried making a variation of it in the Mercury colors. I must say it kinda does look hot.

SowVu.jpg

Offline

#31 2010-03-13 17:14:34

Meow
Member
From: New Taipei, Taiwan
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 677
Website

Re: Style competition entries

clintonmass wrote:

Are there screenshots of the Air style available somewhere?

FluxBB_1.4.png

Now it is on Wikipedia.

Offline

#32 2010-03-13 18:26:19

qie
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 379

Re: Style competition entries

Lirodon wrote:
Plazzmex wrote:

I agree with some that said that it is better to be shipped with as much less styles and colors variants, because it makes the package bigger.
People can download this in the repository.

All of the current FluxBB themes shipped are comprised of ONLY cascading style sheets. Technetium uses gradient overlays in places and its own graphical post icons, but its still primarily CSS.

Also, I've actually been listening to your critique, and I've changed the theme accordingly. It is now default to a fluid size, the brdwelcome bar is now single-lined like the 1.3 one (sans the period on the "Logged in as" part, if that could be added with CSS somehow, that'd be great), the line-height has been increased, the icons have been redone to fit the color scheme better, and the settings pages are now a bit more like the ones in Air.

xvhLY.jpg

Also just for fun, I tried making a variation of it in the Mercury colors. I must say it kinda does look hot.

SowVu.jpg

hey dude,why your screen have the curve , in my opera and firefox there is no curve?

Offline

#33 2010-03-13 18:29:56

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,742
Website

Re: Style competition entries

It probably means that those browsers don't support a specific CSS property - also known as "graceful degradation", which means that the site looks as good as possible on every browser, but not necessarily the same as in different browsers.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#34 2010-03-13 19:18:15

Paul
Developer
From: Wales, UK
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,653

Re: Style competition entries

Assuming standard and browser specific versions of border-radius are being used it should look rounded in Mozilla and Webkit based browsers and possibly Opera 10.5 (though I'm not sure about this) but nothing else.


The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

Offline

#35 2010-03-13 22:23:26

Plazzmex
Member
Registered: 2008-07-24
Posts: 85

Re: Style competition entries

Opera 10.50 support web standards much better than previous versions and much much better that IE..
Don't know about Firefox, but it also should display ok.
People who make themes please make them for w3c standards not for Internet Explorer..

P.S - it's strange.. In opera 10.5 The curves are there for the header but they aren't for main aka forums list etc..

Last edited by Plazzmex (2010-03-13 23:24:23)

Offline

#36 2010-03-13 23:27:25

Mpok
Member
From: France
Registered: 2008-05-12
Posts: 389

Re: Style competition entries

1) i agree with Jérémie : "Fixed size width isn't good for an official skin".
2) nice react from Lirodon (post #6). Cool (and ty).

As for the support of CSS properties : it's up to the browsers to support (effectively) them, not the designers to limit themselves...

These new CSS properties used by Technetium are one of his advantage : how Lirodon could react as quickly (critics about fixed width) if he didn't use CSS3 properties ?
That's the way designs have to be NOW, and f... the non-compliant browsers.

Offline

#37 2010-03-13 23:49:12

Lirodon
Member
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 98

Re: Style competition entries

Mpok wrote:

1) i agree with Jérémie : "Fixed size width isn't good for an official skin".
2) nice react from Lirodon (post #6). Cool (and ty).

As for the support of CSS properties : it's up to the browsers to support (effectively) them, not the designers to limit themselves...

These new CSS properties used by Technetium are one of his advantage : how Lirodon could react as quickly (critics about fixed width) if he didn't use CSS3 properties ?
That's the way designs have to be NOW, and f... the non-compliant browsers.

uhh, hasn't width been around since CSS1?

Offline

#38 2010-03-13 23:54:30

SaWadDee
Member
From: Thailand
Registered: 2010-03-13
Posts: 2
Website

Re: Style competition entries

It's Working on FlugBB 1.4?

Anyone can told me!!

Sorry to miss. ThaiLand are not good at English.


onlyONE ^^/
I'm Thailands user. I use FluxBB.
http://khema.thaifasthost.com
http://www.phangloy.net

Offline

#39 2010-03-14 00:09:17

Lirodon
Member
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 98

Re: Style competition entries

SaWadDee wrote:

It's Working on FlugBB 1.4?

Anyone can told me!!

Sorry to miss. ThaiLand are not good at English.

It requires FluxBB 1.4, that blunt enough?

Offline

#40 2010-03-14 02:47:47

qie
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 379

Re: Style competition entries

do you using mac?

Offline

#41 2010-03-14 04:46:02

Meow
Member
From: New Taipei, Taiwan
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 677
Website

Re: Style competition entries

My operating system is Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and I could test Safari 4, Chrome 5, Firefox 3.6, and Opera 10.50.

Offline

#42 2010-03-14 10:01:32

jojaba
Member
From: Obersoultzbach, Elsaß, France
Registered: 2009-12-04
Posts: 473
Website

Re: Style competition entries

You want to have an overview of some css 3 properties ? Look to the css file of EZC (third part), you will find some great effects you can do without using images ! I played a few time with html 5 and css 3. My tests : http://jojaba.free.fr/html5/ (sorry, in French tongue )
I agree with the fact that css3 should find a major place in our css but this should be done respecting the IE users ... wink

Paul wrote:

Assuming standard and browser specific versions of border-radius are being used it should look rounded in Mozilla and Webkit based browsers and possibly Opera 10.5 (though I'm not sure about this) but nothing else.

See here : http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3 … boxshadow/ wink

Last edited by jojaba (2010-03-14 10:29:36)


Localize Mozilla extensions on BabelZilla

Offline

#43 2010-03-14 13:06:43

Plazzmex
Member
Registered: 2008-07-24
Posts: 85

Re: Style competition entries

absolutely agree with jojaba.
Opera 10.5 supports all the latest web standards, and if those rounded corners doesn't work there, this might be a problem with the style not with the browser..

Offline

#44 2010-03-14 17:48:40

ridgerunner
Member
Registered: 2008-06-24
Posts: 183
Website

Re: Style competition entries

I can confirm that Opera 10.5 does support the border-radius property.

Offline

#45 2010-03-15 06:45:49

shiningdracon
Member
Registered: 2010-03-15
Posts: 2

Re: Style competition entries

Technetium has my vote, and (untitled) also nice.

Offline

#46 2010-03-15 14:11:50

shadow125
Member
Registered: 2008-07-06
Posts: 4

Re: Style competition entries

(untitled) is the best for me.

Offline

#47 2010-03-15 14:38:13

qie
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 379

Re: Style competition entries

I really like "technetium",and Lirodon will you release that modified style? if you do,i'm waiting. I like the icon ,cool. normal icon not must be a  "!" punction.

a vote to "technetium"

Last edited by qie (2010-03-15 15:06:39)

Offline

#48 2010-03-16 00:49:36

Grimmeh
Member
From: In front of my ’puter
Registered: 2008-10-15
Posts: 13
Website

Re: Style competition entries

To be honest, I don't particularly like any of them. It might be personal taste, or it might not, but they all seem a little dated. The new default Air theme is done right, and so is the existing theme (what's it called?). With some work, Technetium might be really nice, though. sad

Offline

#49 2010-03-16 01:57:31

Mpok
Member
From: France
Registered: 2008-05-12
Posts: 389

Re: Style competition entries

@Grimmeh : seems that contest been set too soon..
Just 4 proposals, that's VERY few.
Then, i understand u "don't particularly like any of them". Maybe, in some time, will be there another designs better fitting ur taste.
These were just "first shoot" designs, and we have to appreciate them as that.

Offline

#50 2010-03-16 01:58:18

GHOwner
Member
Registered: 2008-09-18
Posts: 21

Re: Style competition entries

I'm aimed at the Untitled cause it has a pretty feel.

But all 'n all, I feel the styles are overly complex. They just sorta have a less "build upon" and more "here's a design" delivery.

The ir skin that's been linked here helps show the more simplicity that encourages people to build upon it.

Last edited by GHOwner (2010-03-16 02:00:35)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB