Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-12-07 15:10:26

Reines
Administrator
Website

Re: The all-new modification repository

Good question... tongue

#27 2009-12-07 20:37:41

FSX
Former Developer
Website

lie2815 wrote:

Makes sense. What about mod descriptions in that case, though? Should we enforce them to be in English? Could they be in other languages, too? Or should they be in the language of the original language pack?

In English. We need to read it too. And to use a translator each time you need to check a mod is really annoying.

I think all the mods should have an English language pack. This is an English website after all.

#28 2009-12-07 21:58:54

MattF
Website

lie2815 wrote:

What about mod descriptions in that case, though? Should we enforce them to be in English? Could they be in other languages, too? Or should they be in the language of the original language pack?

If there was no description in English, it'd be bugger all use to a large proportion of the userbase. English should be a necessity with native languages being an additional item.

I still think language file support should be a must and not an option, btw. Mpok made the exact same point as I did previously. Enforcing secure coding practices will have far more impact on the amount of mods submitted/accepted than adding langfile support to all mods would.

Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

#29 2009-12-07 22:01:16

Reines
Administrator
Website

MattF wrote:

Enforcing secure coding practices will have far more impact on the amount of mods submitted/accepted than adding langfile support to all mods would.

Sure, but having security issues is a big problem, whereas the majority of users probably don't care if the mod is available in other languages or not.

#30 2009-12-07 22:20:51

MattF
Website

Reines wrote:

Sure, but having security issues is a big problem, whereas the majority of users probably don't care if the mod is available in other languages or not.

Apart from all of the users who speak a language other than English. Just because you do not see it as a notable point does not mean that everyone else does not. Pardon my bluntness, but the opportunity you have, at this moment in time, to enforce language file support, well, it would be nigh on downright stupid not to enforce it as a requirement. The moment you start accepting modifications from the community, that opportunity no longer exists. I have no need for any language other than English and even I think it would be lunacy to miss an opportunity like this.

#31 2009-12-07 22:28:28

Reines
Administrator
Website

MattF wrote:

Apart from all of the users who speak a language other than English.

I wasn't trying to say it isn't worth considering, the point I was trying to make is 100% (I'd hope!) of people care about mods being secure. At a wild guess, 10% (sorry I don't have any stats to look at) care about having language file support. Trying to say that it is as important as making sure mods is secure doesn't make much sense.

#32 2009-12-07 22:54:39

MattF
Website

I'll agree that security is the absolute priority, without a shadow of a doubt. smile I do think you're under-estimating the importance of language support though. In a way, you are also limiting the potential userbase. This opportunity you have at the moment to enforce language support is something which you'll only see again when you make a completely new release.

The easiest way to find out, and gauge interest, would be to ask for the opinion of the community at large. I may be wrong, but I do honestly think your estimation of what percentage of users would appreciate this feature is way out. I may well be the one who is estimating incorrectly though. big_smile Plus, this is something which won't affect the date of the release itself, only the modifications. It's a win-win situation.

Last edited by MattF (2009-12-07 22:55:25)

Board footer