Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-19 13:54:59

Reines
Administrator
Website

Changes, updates and on-going progress...

Recently we have had various changes and projects starting behind the scenes, and it's probably overdue that an announcement was made to let everyone know what has been going on.

After toying with the idea for a while we have now decided that the current system isn't really working, and I am proud to be taking over as the lead (project manager or whatever you wish to call it) of FluxBB! The main advantage of this is we now have someone responsible to making sure things don't just get put off and ignored. If anyone has any issues or ideas then please let me know (best bet is on IRC).

The next announcement to make is in regards to the server and hosting. Since FluxBB was forked Paul has been kindly paying for its hosting out of his own pocket, even though for the past while he hasn't had time to really be active here. No doubt you will also have noticed periods of downtime now and again, which has been due to 1) Trac using lots of memory when being crawled by search engines 2) Badly configured Apache.
I have now ordered us a new server from Gandi.net and started work on setting it up.

To go with the new server, we will soon be making live our brand new website which we have been working hard on (which is why things have been a bit quieter around here recently). The new website, along with looking much cleaner and more professional (big thanks to Paul!), has much more information available on it. One main new feature that lots of you will hopefully appreciate will be its modification repository which allows users to submit mods/plugins/styles/language packs to be checked by a developer and then hosted by us on fluxbb.org.

The new website has been designed with localization in mind, and we hope to have it translated into various languages once the text on it has been finalized. To handle international support we have decided that running our own language specific forums probably isn't a good idea. There are already various language specific support communities and they are not going to want to ditch their community. If you currently run an international FluxBB support forum please contact me so we can consider how best to direct users to you (and if your community is suitable! ie. kept up-to-date etc).

As some of you have probably also noticed we are fairly close to finishing FluxBB-1.4, and are hoping to release a release candidate of it when we move to the new server (and convert these forums to run it). Having it running here for a couple of weeks should help us find any last bugs before a final release. However before we get to the release candidate we have 2 main issues left. 1) The skin. We are hoping to make a new default skin for FluxBB-1.4, as the current one is looking a bit out-dated and old. We have been toying with the idea of a community competition, with the best skins being shipped with 1.4... more details/ideas to come at a later date! 2) The updater. Currently updating from 1.2 to 1.4 should work, but updating from 1.3 to 1.4 doesn't. Although the db_update script could be modified to handle this, I have started work on a converter tool and written a script that will allow converting from PunBB-1.3 and FluxBB-1.3. The aim is to also include some other scripts, to allow conversion from other forum software too. Again, more details to come at a later date!

#2 2009-10-19 14:58:59

ridgerunner
Website

Re: Changes, updates and on-going progress...

Congratulations on becoming lead developer! (Its about time someone took charge.) With a qualified someone such as yourself (holding a degree in computer science), it looks as though the future of FluxBB is now in very good hands. Thank you for the work you have already put into this thing and thanks also for the detailed progress update. You have re-invigorated my (dwindling) hopes for a bright FluxBB future.

Cheers!

#3 2009-10-19 15:13:31

StevenBullen
Website

Great news! Good man Reines.

#4 2009-10-19 15:26:54

liquidat0r
Website

Cool smile

Question: Which version(s) of 1.3 would we be able to upgrade to 1.4 from? Or would it be a matter of updating to the latest 1.3 and then to 1.4?

(fyi: I was sent here due to the twitter tweet smile)

#5 2009-10-19 15:38:35

Darren

Exciting stuff Reines, thanks to past and present developers for making FluxBB what it is and taking it forward.

#6 2009-10-19 15:40:53

Reines
Administrator
Website

ridgerunner wrote:

Congratulations on becoming lead developer!

Thanks smile

StevenBullen wrote:

Great news! Good man Reines.

Cheers for the tweet tongue

liquidat0r wrote:

Question: Which version(s) of 1.3 would we be able to upgrade to 1.4 from? Or would it be a matter of updating to the latest 1.3 and then to 1.4?

Well the issue is the database structure, and as far as I'm aware it has been fairly consistent since a long time ago, so my guess would be pretty much any version you may be using should work (looking at trac the last change I can see to the database structure of 1.3 was r609).

#7 2009-10-19 16:19:55

Plazzmex

First - Congratulations becoming lead developer !
Second - I'm very excited and want to see the new website and release of the RC...
Third - I'm now in the progress of translating and converting the forums to Hebrew language and to RTL interface and with the release of 1.4 final (or maybe even with an RC) will open the new community at address www.fluxbbheb.co.cc (The address is temporal unless I'll buy a fluxbb Israeli domain. )

P.S - I have some question. Because of that Hebrew is RTL so the styles and mods and others need to be translated not only in language files and phrases but also in the interface and CSS, popuped the question above : Where will I hold all the translated mods plugins and styles ?
It will be good to make a hebrew repository on my host or maybe there is an option on the repository you'll be releasing soon to host translated mods (not only by lang files, but also full RTL translation, and for styles also) ?

Last edited by Plazzmex (2009-10-19 16:22:16)

#8 2009-10-19 18:31:04

Reines
Administrator
Website

Cheers. When you get the site released let me know and I'll add it to the international communities list smile

We don't have any plans at the moment to allow filtering mods etc by language, but there would be nothing stopping you upload it and calling it "Whatever (Hebrew)" if you wished. The same goes for styles obviously.

#9 2009-10-19 22:08:23

xconspirisist

Great news, keep up the good work.

#10 2009-10-19 22:48:28

MattF
Website

Congratulations Reines. smile

Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

#11 2009-10-20 00:20:00

bgiddins

Sweet!

I have 1.2.11, 1.2.21 and 1.3 forums - looking forward to 1.4 going beyond RC and being a production ready forum that I can upgrade everything to!

FluxBB absolutely rocks.

#12 2009-10-20 17:16:51

François
Website

Reines wrote:

One main new feature that lots of you will hopefully appreciate will be its modification repository which allows users to submit mods/plugins/styles/language packs to be checked by a developer and then hosted by us on fluxbb.org.

The new website has been designed with localization in mind, and we hope to have it translated into various languages once the text on it has been finalized. To handle international support we have decided that running our own language specific forums probably isn't a good idea. There are already various language specific support communities and they are not going to want to ditch their community. If you currently run an international FluxBB support forum please contact me so we can consider how best to direct users to you (and if your community is suitable! ie. kept up-to-date etc).

Would it be possible to add language files to a mod submit by another person ? It would push the mod's developers to use language files and to easily do and find the translations.

Another think who could be great but not easy to make in place : have direct link on the page of the mod toward the appropriate discussion in the others communities. It would permit to easily find the correct topic on the community support for our language, but to keep this up to date hmm.

Keep going !

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#13 2009-10-20 18:01:52

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yeah, I will provide something for mod translations. More details on the mod repository will follow soon.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#14 2009-10-20 18:37:42

Jérémie
Website

Nice to finally see some movement on Flux. Congrats.

#15 2009-10-25 09:16:03

milet

How much memory and cpu does your trac and this forum use?

#16 2009-12-16 00:17:19

viktor

will there be a punbb 1.3 to fluxbb 1.4 converter?

#17 2009-12-16 00:17:53

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yes. The converter will work for both PunBB v1.3 and FluxBB v1.3.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#18 2009-12-17 22:30:29

viktor

cool, thanks

Board footer