Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-01-14 12:14:18

SuperMAG
Member
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 715
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

agreed with shedrock, we do need timeline.

another thing too.

will there be new features in 2.0 that weren't there in 1.3. so far i know that 2.0 will have:

1- A complete template system that separates the code from mark-up.
2- Extension system will be examined and may be completely overwritten for bitter performance.

there were few stuff that you people kept for (the old 1.4 idea not 1.2) 1.4, i forgot those features. may be you people can add that too.


MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Offline

#52 2009-01-14 12:19:14

Rich Pedley
Member
From: Liverpool, UK
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 246
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

shedrock wrote:

It appears to me that most of you aren't 100% committed to the project any more, except for Smartys who as far as I remembered retired a while back. So, is Smartys back  10%, 30%, 50% which is it? - I do hope he is back btw.

100% committed != 100% time spent on FluxBB - I think you are confusing the issue.

I'm 100% committed to FluxBB, but at the moment am so busy elsewhere I can't delve in anywhere near as much as I would like. But I am finding time to do little bits where I can.

shedrock wrote:

This of course is just my opinion, but I still believe you need a SET date on a release and adhere to it this time.

*sigh* I may be guilty of this myself in the past. But the problem with setting a date is then having to keep to it. Would you rather wait for a finished article or have a totally unstable version just because it has to be released on x date? Or conversely why wait for x date if you have something ready to go sooner?

Roadmap's are just that, they aren't meant to be set in stone and are flexible.


my mind is on a permanent tangent

Offline

#53 2009-01-14 12:24:27

Connor
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,127

Re: The future of FluxBB

The exact feature list for 2.0 will be discussed later, we can't say right now simply because we haven't decided.

Smartys is not back, he has just been developing the code for 1.4 by himself and is contributing the code rather than releasing it separately.

Your post is completely out of line, in my opinion, shedrock, I fight for this project every day in this forum, if I am not committed then I don't know who is. Do you not see that the entire point of this decision is to make things run more smoothly in future? As for setting dates for release, it simply does not work, we can't guarantee our time, setting dates just causes disappointment when we miss them, which is what we have seen already. What we are opting for is a much more structured roadmap which makes our aims clear and achievable.

Offline

#54 2009-01-14 12:40:07

SuperMAG
Member
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 715
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

ok how about this, first you set the biggest time that is for you to complete it. like 2 years.

after few months if you feel that it much change it to Like 1 year.

after more months change it again.

most of the people just need the maximum time that it can take.


MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Offline

#55 2009-01-14 12:46:13

Oldskool
Former Developer
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2008-12-28
Posts: 154
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

SuperMAG wrote:

ok how about this, first you set the biggest time that is for you to complete it. like 2 years.

after few months if you feel that it much change it to Like 1 year.

after more months change it again.

most of the people just need the maximum time that it can take.

What do you think will happen if we tell people it will take 2 years? Another riot will start because of it. Since this project is being run on a voluntary basis, we can not guarantee any dates. As far as I know, the team we have now is very motivated and dedicated to the project and we'll do our best to have stuff back on track again as soon as possible. But we want to do it right, not fast because our community demands deadlines, that won't work. Nobody will benefit from such a way of working.

Offline

#56 2009-01-14 13:20:53

shedrock
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2008-05-09
Posts: 441
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

No Connor, I am not out of line here. What I have stated is what a lot of the members are feeling towards the project at the moment. If I am out of line, then the majority of the community is as well. I am not here to blast you guys. I do know the dedication in the past, but sorry, I have not seen this in the last few months judging from the activity in the forum. You can't expect to lay low for so long and then boom! you all are back ready and committed, after the community's frustration is at its peak. It doesn't work that way.

You cannot expect people to jump when you say jump, and this is essentially what you all are doing. In other words, we'll release it whenever we want and you all have to deal with that. This is my assumption based on numerous posts in this forum, so forgive me if my opinion does not seem very supportive at the moment. This is a community, and the very meaning of the word has not been a reflection of what I've seen in recent months.

Look, I am 100% behind Flux and have been since its conception. All I am trying to say is that members are frustrated and the PR on the site does not reflect anything that makes you jump up and say "wow!, these guys are really committed". With all that being said, I still think you guys are great and I look forward to the next release.

Cheers!
Shedrock

Offline

#57 2009-01-14 13:24:55

Connor
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,127

Re: The future of FluxBB

shedrock wrote:

You cannot expect people to jump when you say jump

My point exactly.

Offline

#58 2009-01-14 13:40:46

Ledo
Member
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 217

Re: The future of FluxBB

There is some activity lately in Trac area. Developers have taken quite some time to discuss different option what the future will be and decided upon them.  So things have started moving. If i am correct evan some new developers join the team.

I think there is no need for frustration any more. And topic like these where the same things are discussed over and over again.

Focus on the future of FluxBB now when the future has been set. Not the past any more.

Timeline? Once the "wheels are in motion again" i think timeline will be as short as possible. So no need in putting pressure on these area for now i think. Developers just started again so don't pressure too much the "wheel" that is starting to turn again because you can just as easy stop it again if non realistic ideas are enforced again.

Offline

#59 2009-01-14 15:03:22

SuperMAG
Member
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 715
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

Oldskool wrote:

What do you think will happen if we tell people it will take 2 years? Another riot will start because of it. Since this project is being run on a voluntary basis, we can not guarantee any dates. As far as I know, the team we have now is very motivated and dedicated to the project and we'll do our best to have stuff back on track again as soon as possible. But we want to do it right, not fast because our community demands deadlines, that won't work. Nobody will benefit from such a way of working.

alright alright, no biggie. just post weekly or per two weeks updates on what you people done or even monthly.


MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Offline

#60 2009-01-14 16:31:19

Rich Pedley
Member
From: Liverpool, UK
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 246
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

or even better keep an eye on Trac yourself - and the svn repositries.

(yes I know its not exactly what you want).

Having been involved with regular public updates in the past I'll tell you now that although they are a good idea - they rarely work long term.

Last edited by Rich Pedley (2009-01-14 16:31:52)


my mind is on a permanent tangent

Offline

#61 2009-01-14 19:47:57

SuperMAG
Member
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 715
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

actually i always check the trac place, but recently  there are alot of developers doing alot of stuff, i cant understand. what are you people developing. i mean i thought there was no work in 1.3. and every one needed for markup css to be finished.


MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Offline

#62 2009-01-14 19:59:01

Dave
Guest

Re: The future of FluxBB

We're taking care of existing bugs that have been reported for the most part.

#63 2009-01-14 21:45:59

orlandu63
Member
From: New Jersey, USA
Registered: 2008-05-17
Posts: 187
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

So what exactly will be changed in 1.4

Offline

#64 2009-01-15 09:53:36

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,742
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

The main feature will be UTF-8 encoding.

Smartys is working again. Ask him. Maybe he can post a complete list.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#65 2009-01-15 11:03:51

gerhard
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2008-05-30
Posts: 59

Re: The future of FluxBB

Smartys is working again.

Great! Really appreciate the new drive in the (development) team. Looking forward to a new exciting release.

Offline

#66 2009-01-15 11:37:18

MattF
Member
From: South Yorkshire, England
Registered: 2008-05-06
Posts: 1,233
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

gerhard wrote:

Smartys is working again.

Great!

Temporary situation, merely to get 1.4 out, I believe. smile


Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

Offline

#67 2009-01-15 13:47:35

Smartys
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 3,139
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

Correct, I'm not rejoining FluxBB

Offline

#68 2009-01-15 17:55:29

Gil
Member
From: France
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 183

Re: The future of FluxBB

Hum, and what about an upgrade on search page with fulltext indiexing in 1.4?

Offline

#69 2009-01-15 18:56:43

Connor
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,127

Re: The future of FluxBB

1.3 didn't have fulltext, and neither will 1.4, it may include some of the search indexing improvements in 1.3

Offline

#70 2009-01-15 19:22:12

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,742
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

MattF wrote:
gerhard wrote:

Smartys is working again.

Great!

Temporary situation, merely to get 1.4 out, I believe. smile

Sorry. That's what I meant.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#71 2009-01-15 21:28:34

Gil
Member
From: France
Registered: 2008-05-10
Posts: 183

Re: The future of FluxBB

Connor wrote:

1.3 didn't have fulltext, and neither will 1.4, it may include some of the search indexing improvements in 1.3

Sad. Hu, and in 1.5? Why not trying to improve it? (the old extension)

Offline

#72 2009-01-15 21:45:28

Connor
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 1,127

Re: The future of FluxBB

Fulltext isn't the best for everyone, and only works on mysql (and possibly postgresql).

Offline

#73 2009-01-17 12:35:14

Mindflyer
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2008-05-12
Posts: 18

Re: The future of FluxBB

Good plan, but what about the internationalization of the admin panel for 1.4?

Connor, I've sent you an email wink


"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed, and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes." Morpheus

Offline

#74 2009-01-17 12:44:03

Smartys
Former Developer
Registered: 2008-04-27
Posts: 3,139
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

Not going to happen, since that would require major rewrites of code.

Offline

#75 2009-01-17 15:36:15

MattF
Member
From: South Yorkshire, England
Registered: 2008-05-06
Posts: 1,233
Website

Re: The future of FluxBB

There's no reason for it not to be done later, (after your updates), smile however, by one of the Devs or the team.


Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB