Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#126 2008-11-10 13:02:00

Connor
Former Developer

Re: Development team changes

MichaelBluejay wrote:
Connor wrote:

I also feel I should point out, giving updates won't make the development process any faster...

Who said otherwise?  What I and some other members have been trying to say is that we just hope for more and better communication about where we're at and what's left.  If you think we're expecting that better communication means faster development then I don't think we've succeeded in explaining what we've been hoping for.

What exactly do you expect us to say more than we already do?

#127 2008-11-16 12:35:40

Kaboon
Website

I find it rather amusing that people can actually complain about a free product.

Don't get me wrong here, FluxBB is an excellent product but if you expect 24/7 support and updates while you ask for it, why not get yourself a paid product? I think the team is doing an excellent job by taking their time for creating a product that eventually will rock your b0x0rz. Only patience, proper feedback and decent bug reports will help creating such a product.

Communication is important but in my humble opinion there's been enough said already. Paul is busy finishing the markup. The others are more or the less waiting for that and in the mean while small bugs are getting fixed as we can see in http://fluxbb.org/trac/timeline.

So in other words, I guess we just have to wait a little longer for Paul's changes being committed to the source. But it'll be worth the wait.

Keep up the good work guys! And if I can be of any assistance, just let me know (as stated somewhere earlier in my introduction, I think). smile

#128 2008-11-16 13:07:30

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Thank you!

Finally a good post regarding this topic wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#129 2008-11-16 18:31:36

gerhard

Thanks Kaboon - second your post as well.

Thumbs ( and toes wink ) up for the developers' dedication to roll out a great piece of software!

Last edited by gerhard (2008-11-16 18:31:56)

#130 2008-11-23 18:38:12

MichaelBluejay

...but if you expect 24/7 support and updates...

Show me where anyone said they expect something that exaggerated.  Please don't be insulting by suggesting that the *reasonable* requests made are in fact completely, completely different *unreasonable* ones.

...why not get yourself a paid product?...

If I knew of a lightweight commercial forum software, I would have bought it already.  I'm open to suggestions if you know of any.

#131 2008-11-24 11:56:11

SuperMAG
Website

alright lets get this straight.

Developers are not guilty for this late because they have their personal life and dont have time. and they cannot be blamed if they lost it when people attack them.

People (flux users) are not guilty because they have been promised several times on something which was not done as promised. and they cannot be blamed if they lost it when its becomes more delayed.

So all these offensive comments are completely useless, weither they are from devs or their (lawyers) or they are from People. Just wasting time. the last commet of paul said it will be done in 7 days and its been more then a week, ok here what i say, ITS DONE WHEN ITS DONE. (lol people were so optemistic when they saw that announcement, i was surprised that it was only me who thought its done when its done lol)

Last edited by SuperMAG (2008-11-24 11:58:34)

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

#132 2008-11-24 14:01:21

patheticcockroach
Website

I don't mean to be mean or sth, but I'm just wondering, what would happen if sth bad happened to Paul, or if he left? It looks like he's the only one knowing much about the big markup changes, and everyone else is just sitting praying for it to become finished. The perfect opposite of the principle we have at my workplace "everybody's useful, noone's essential". Sounds a bit unsecure. That's stressing me ^^

PS: may the Force be with you Paul smile This markup would make me crazy...

Last edited by patheticcockroach (2008-11-24 14:03:35)

Wiki4Games, the free video game wiki - PatheticCockroach.com - Pirate Party

#133 2008-11-24 14:48:09

Kaboon
Website

MichaelBluejay wrote:

...but if you expect 24/7 support and updates...

Show me where anyone said they expect something that exaggerated.  Please don't be insulting by suggesting that the *reasonable* requests made are in fact completely, completely different *unreasonable* ones.

I never intended to be insulting in any way. And I'm sorry if you feel offended by that remark. My intention was to exaggerate it on purpose. From I developers point of view I know it's hard to keep up on development if you've also got a personal life to maintain. All I'm asking for is a little bit of patience and sympathy for the developers of FluxBB and especially Paul. These people give up their spare time (as if they have got any) to work on something quite nice. I cannot deny that it's been taking a while now to finish some of the important elements of the forum. But what I'm trying to say is that we just should hang on just a little bit longer. Eventually it will be fixed and it will be worth waiting for. And look at the bright side of it, at least FluxBB didn't get sold out. PunBB on the other side, could be your next paid product which you've been looking for...

MichaelBluejay wrote:

...why not get yourself a paid product?...

If I knew of a lightweight commercial forum software, I would have bought it already.  I'm open to suggestions if you know of any.

Besides the highly customizable ones (such as vBulletin / UBB / IPB), I found two alternatives which seem to have a fairly simple concept;

WowBB : http://www.wowbb.com/
WSN Forum : http://scripts.webmastersite.net/wsnforum/

Obviously none is being as good as FluxBB. smile

I want to emphasize that this post is not an intended flame. I'm just trying to understand what all the fuzz is about. smile

#134 2008-11-24 15:07:20

elbekko
Former Developer
Website

patheticcockroach wrote:

I don't mean to be mean or sth, but I'm just wondering, what would happen if sth bad happened to Paul, or if he left? It looks like he's the only one knowing much about the big markup changes, and everyone else is just sitting praying for it to become finished. The perfect opposite of the principle we have at my workplace "everybody's useful, noone's essential". Sounds a bit unsecure. That's stressing me ^^

He's the one in charge of that bit of the code. If something were to happen, we would take over ofcourse. But the end product would probably be alot worse for it, especially style-wise.
I'm confident it'll be finished in a reasonable timespan, and I fully understand that he has things much more important to do than the markup. Now if only the rest of the community would feel the same...

Ben
SVN repository for my extensions - The thread
Quickmarks 0.5
“Question: How does a large software project get to be one year late? Answer: One day at a time!” - Fred Brooks

#135 2008-11-25 02:04:22

liquidat0r
Website

elbekko wrote:

Now if only the rest of the community would feel the same...

Quite a few do. smile

#136 2008-11-25 02:43:38

Jérémie
Website

And have been for two to three years.

#137 2008-12-04 11:30:22

Hemen

I agree with elbekko, because everybody has a Private Life.

RIP 2008-2008

Reborn in 2010

Board footer