Ticket #335 (fixed enhancement)
Use flash messages instead of redirection
- Created: 2011-03-04 21:38:39
- Reported by: Insert Name Here
- Assigned to: Franz
- Milestone: 2.0-alpha1
- Component: usability
- Priority: normal
When a user replies to a topic, they are redirected to a page where they are told that their post has been successfully entered. Then, they are redirected back to the topic. The entire process takes about two to five seconds.
Two to five seconds technically isn't a long wait, but in today's internet time, when users are used to instant messages and the like, it's a lot.
The same thing happens whenever you post a new topic, log in to the forums, update the administrative settings, and in several other places. I was using the posting of a new reply as an example, but we should apply this in those places too.
adaur 2011-03-04 21:51:38
So you want to manage the redirections in an other way? I disabled them on my forum, it's faster and not annoying.
Insert Name Here 2011-03-04 21:58:10
Jack 2011-03-05 03:33:57
To disable the redirects you just need to set "0" in: Admin > Options > Redirect Time .
Reines 2011-03-11 22:02:48
- Milestone set to 2.0-alpha5.
Franz 2011-09-16 03:09:56
- Milestone changed from 2.0-alpha5 to 2.0-alpha2.
- Summary changed from Make the "Post Entered" success message more user friendly to Improve redirect functionality.
I agree this should be improved (in general).
And I think this would fit in nicely when developing the (front) controller architecture. Hence the milestone change.
Franz 2012-01-26 12:57:59
- Summary changed from Improve redirect functionality to Use flash messages instead of redirection.
Franz 2012-07-12 16:46:10
- Milestone changed from 2.0-alpha2 to 2.0-alpha1.
This is easy to do with Laravel and their standard way of doing such things.
Franz 2012-08-02 09:35:05
- Owner set to Franz.
- Status changed from open to fixed.
Flash messages with key "message" are now displayed in a yellow box. Can be restyled later, but they're visible.