Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-28 01:26:32

micbr

Re: ThinkClassic - A Vintage Apple Computer Community

We've continued to make progress in developing the community further and improving onto our FluxBB install in recent months.

The most noticeable changes are a few visual appearance updates. We've made some extensive revisions to the stylesheets, including:

• A complete rewrite of the navigation bar, search field and several decorative elements

• The removal of several floats in favour of inlines

• Moved to 100% text indents (as opposed to -9999px)

• Changed the method we use to colour the viewforum rows

• Altered the padding on almost everything

• Cleaned up some of the forum icons and graphics

• Fixed possibly over a hundred small issues and rendering quirks in the process

Internally, we've refined the forum engine as well. We now have modifications in only two FluxBB core files, with the rest of them in their unmodified or vanilla versions. With the exception of a couple of minor alterations, this is a completely standard install.

The introduction of hooks in register.php helped make this happen. We're running an in-house updated version of the HoneyPot + StopForumSpam Mod that we've been able to reduce to three files, with most of the code in a new addons/sfs.php file that makes use of the new anti-spam hooks in FluxBB 1.5.8.

We've also added a couple of extra features, like the ability for administrators to issue one-time-use manual overrides for email addresses that have been falsely flagged by the protection system. These overrides remain in the system until they're used to register an account, at which point they're removed.

We've blocked over 11,000 spammers to date. So far this system has performed exceptionally well at keeping the forums clean without restricting access to legitimate users.

However the most notable event of the last few months is when we crossed the 100 member and 5,000 post milestones. We're still intended for a niche audience and relatively unknown in vintage computing circles, but considering we launched only nine months ago, we haven't done badly at all. Our members have been involved in several notable projects, including the development of several new hardware devices for older computers, new methods for repairing old electronics and plastics and even the development of system updates and drivers for operating systems and machines that were left behind by the manufacturer long ago.

I see this community as something we will continue to work on and develop, and hopefully our member base will continue to grow over time.

I've updated the first post in this thread with newer information and images that better reflects the current state of the website.

Cheers,

~ micbr (iMic, ThinkClassic)

Last edited by micbr (2015-02-28 01:36:20)

Administrator, ThinkClassic - A vintage Apple computer community.

#27 2015-06-02 20:29:09

doki

hi micbr,

can you share the code update for SFS that use the new hooks. or an instruction maybe? thanks

#28 2015-06-03 03:33:43

micbr

doki wrote:

can you share the code update for SFS that use the new hooks. or an instruction maybe? thanks

Here's the package containing the necessary files and modification instructions.

https://app.box.com/s/p8xj9gynbznrwm3d6zv002mxawqqoq64

While this extension uses the Antispam hooks in FluxBB 1.5.8, some simple manual modifications are still required in register.php.

This version of the extension doesn't report spammers to StopForumSpam, it simply checks registration attempts against their database and halts the process if a match is found.

Last edited by micbr (2015-06-04 10:37:59)

#29 2015-06-03 03:40:31

TigerAero
Website

I feel the odd need to derail this thread by talking about me!

My first mac was the old pizzabox mac with I believe 7.0? Then I had bought one of the mac clones at 300 mhz from MacSales (I wonder if they are still around lol.)

Then I was graduating H.S. and was getting ready to join the army in 2000 and I had gone with windows laptops since then. Flash forward to about 3 years ago... I got a MBP 2014 since I was getting out the Army and wanted to get back into the Mac Life. tongue

Now, I still have that MBP but the computer geek side of me made me want to build a computer so now I built one and it has  Win 8.1.

Soon as the mini gets a decent graphics upgrade though, I'm back to Mac for sure. The $900 I put into this though ... I still want to get some use out of it lol.

Thanks for allowing me to derail your thread. big_smile tongue

The Xeno Society
Have the Will to change the world. #TheXeno

#30 2015-06-03 03:42:23

TigerAero
Website

Never mind it wasn't MacSales, it was HeadGap. smile Suprised they still around lmao. big_smile

It was an LC III come to think of it. big_smile Also had a fast 28.8k modem for BBS use. IDR if the modem was w/ the pc or not though. I somehow got the model number "M1312LL/A" ingrained in my head lol.

Last edited by TigerAero (2015-06-07 17:05:51)

The Xeno Society
Have the Will to change the world. #TheXeno

#31 2015-06-03 13:55:24

doki

@micbr thanks a lot! everything's works great. I have to uninstall koos version of mod and install your version. Please update the readme and remove the "lang/register.php" in the affected file.

#32 2015-06-04 09:42:02

doki

@micbr - i just tried the WysiBB code above. everything is working except inserting youtube. did you encounter this problem?

#33 2015-06-04 10:41:04

micbr

TigerAero wrote:

I feel the odd need to derail this thread by talking about me!

My first mac was the old pizzabox mac with I believe 7.0? Then I had bought one of the mac clones at 300 mhz from MacSales (I wonder if they are still around lol.)

Then I was graduating H.S. and was getting ready to join the army in 2000 and I had gone with windows laptops since then. Flash forward to about 3 years ago... I got a MBP 2014 since I was getting out the Army and wanted to get back into the Mac Life. tongue

Now, I still have that MBP but the computer geek side of me made me want to build a computer so now I built one and it has  Win 8.1.

Soon as the mini gets a decent graphics upgrade though, I'm back to Mac for sure. The $900 I put into this though ... I still want to get some use out of it lol.

Thanks for allowing me to derail your thread. big_smile tongue

Those old Pizzabox Macs (Macintosh LC, LC II, LC III, III+, 475 and Quadra 605) are fun little machines. I sold mine a few years ago and am starting to regret it now. I've always found Windows PCs fascinating, especially older hardware from the 386/486 days, but I started using Apple machines a lot more in school and eventually landed a job as an Apple technician. Now I've moved on and have started thinking about adding some Windows machines to the mix again. We'll see I suppose.

No worries about derailing the thread - I don't mind a good story every now and then. smile

doki wrote:

@micbr thanks a lot! everything's works great. I have to uninstall koos version of mod and install your version. Please update the readme and remove the "lang/register.php" in the affected file.

Done. I've updated the post above with the link to the revised package containing the fixed readme file.

doki wrote:

@micbr - i just tried the WysiBB code above. everything is working except inserting youtube. did you encounter this problem?

The YouTube BBCode requires an addition to the FluxBB parser to handle YouTube embedding. This is the code we use:

/* YOUTUBE PARSER MODIFICATION */

##### OPEN INCLUDE/PARSER.PHP #####

##### Find (Around Line 781): #####

$pattern[] = '%\[h\](.*?)\[/h\]%ms';

##### Add After: #####

// YouTube BBCode
	if (!$is_signature) 
	{

$pattern[] = '%\[youtube\]([-\w]{11}(\?[\w=&]+)?)\[/youtube\]%ms';

}

##### Find (Around Line 791): #####

$replace[] = '</p><h5>$1</h5><p>';

##### Add After: #####

// YouTube BBCode
	if (!$is_signature) 
	{	

$replace[] = '<iframe type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/$1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>';

}

##### Save And Close #####

Cheers,

- micbr (iMic).

#34 2015-06-05 06:37:24

doki

thank a lot! youtube is now working but i encounter another issue if onlybbmode set true. i cannot submit image link and url to post. no issue if onlybbmode set to false.

Last edited by doki (2015-06-05 06:37:49)

Board footer