Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 17:59:57

somdcomputerguy
Website

New post notification question

Is it possible to configure a forum so that a notification is sent to a particular user group when a new post is created in it? I'm using version 1.5.2 BTW.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy (2013-02-01 18:00:52)

#2 2013-02-02 13:12:10

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: New post notification question

You want to do that for an entire user group? The users can subscribe to forums and posts - that is not enough?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2013-02-02 14:54:55

somdcomputerguy
Website

I would like to make it so that whenever a new post is made in a particular forum, all users of a particular group receive an email notification (that points to that post, of course).  I realize a user can chose their self whether or not to subscribe to a particular forum, but I would like to 'make this decision' for them. I was just going to one at a time login as each user and subscribe to this particular forum (there's less than a dozen (manually added) users right now).

Thanks for taking notice of this.

#4 2013-02-05 23:56:07

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Do you know how to write simple PHP scripts? If so, here are the database queries you need...

To select the users for your group (replace 13 with the group's ID):

SELECT id FROM users WHERE group_id=13

For all of these user IDs, execute the following query (now replacing 13 with the respective user ID and 14 with the forum ID):

INSERT INTO forum_subscriptions (user_id, forum_id) VALUES (13, 14)

(Note that you might have a database table prefix configured in config.php. In that case, you'd need to change the table names in these queries, too.)

This creates forum subscriptions, by the way, where you only get notifications for every new topic that is created in that particular forum. Getting posts notification would require even more changes, ugh.

If you don't know PHP or can't write this script, you might be able to convince me to write a plugin for this very quickly tomorrow.

Last edited by Franz (2013-02-05 23:56:56)

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2013-02-06 00:17:07

somdcomputerguy
Website

Franz wrote:

Do you know how to write simple PHP scripts? If so, here are the database queries you need...

Well you and I probably have different definitions of 'simple PHP scripts', but what you've provided is enough to get me started. Thanks.

Franz wrote:

This creates forum subscriptions, by the way, where you only get notifications for every new topic that is created in that particular forum. Getting posts notification would require even more changes, ugh.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Only new notifies and not replies, unless they subscribed to it.

Franz wrote:

If you don't know PHP or can't write this script, you might be able to convince me to write a plugin for this very quickly tomorrow.

I know enough of everything to get me in trouble, and wanting to do it myself too. My convincing/asking skills leave much to be desired as well. Thanks, again. I think this would be a great 'feature' though..

Board footer