Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

FluxBB 1.5.6 and 1.4.12 released

These releases fix a security issue - please update your forums! Download links: v1.5.6 | v1.4.12

#1 2013-01-24 14:00:51

JonKlarstrom

Need pointers in the right direction (translation)

Hello,

I have tried fluxbb and are very happy with how fast it is.

I am no coder, I can install wordpress, fluxbb and fiddle a litte with css. But nothing more really, so I wonder if there is any tutorial, step by step, on how the translation system works. I am thinking of translate to swedish since I haven't found any language file to it.

I have a bit of cognitive disfunction regarding sorting information, and when things are new like this, I really need good information so I have looked around and googled but haven't found anything useful. Yup, I suck at search engines to. Since you have to sort out what kind of search key words you need, well, finding whats relevant... I am no good friend with search engines... smile

Hope anyone has a good link, to either a forum here or a tutorial or something anywhere else.

Thanks,

jon

#2 2013-01-24 15:07:18

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Need pointers in the right direction (translation)

Welcome Jon, and thanks for your willingness to contribute! smile

First of all, you should register an account on GitHub.
After that, fork our languages repository. You need to be able to use Git a little bit, but you can do most of the work directly in GitHub's web interface.
You can then submit pull requests with your changes to our repository. There are lots of guides on how to do that online. Read this, or this for example.

That was very short, ask if you have more questions.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2013-01-24 19:05:26

JonKlarstrom

Will look at it tomorrow. Thanks smile

#4 2013-01-24 20:56:50

JonKlarstrom

Do I just grab the english file and translate that one, then make a pull request when I am almost or are finished?

I have forked it now anyway, and use the github mac app. A bit confused about things, but I will get it eventually. smile

Thanks,

Jon

#5 2013-01-24 22:05:51

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yes, you should use the English files as reference.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#6 2013-01-24 22:31:44

JonKlarstrom

Ok, I will start translating those and then get beck with the problems I get when I try to push pull or what ever it is called smile

How will translation work in 2.0, will it differ much in how it's done?

And one last question, is there any file that need to be updated with language codes or something, you know the sv_SE and so forth, like wordpress files?

#7 2013-01-24 22:52:10

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Translations in 2.0 will be handled in a very similar way, yes.

No, we don't yet use the language codes. Simply put your files in a folder called "Swedish" (and maybe add yourself to the README file).

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#8 2013-02-04 20:00:48

JonKlarstrom

Working on it, but slow.

It would be nice if there was different language strings for buttons in different places, since submit gets translated to a kind of a compromise in Swedish. And I am guessing I will find more places where I have to think a lot in what word that kind of represents. I am trying to do a translation that not only translates as everything else, I also (at least) try to do it so it will minimize frustration for users that are not computer folk. Most is pretty straight forward but some places I feel that it can be simplyfied and more clear to what actually happens.

But it goes slow, some days a lot and others nothing. Am a every other week dad and have a child with a disability, so there are a lot in life besides this.

Still amazed over how quick fluxbb behaves. smile

#9 2013-02-06 00:08:15

Franz
Lead developer
Website

No pressure, Jon. Please take care of your family. big_smile
Thanks for contributing!

Hmm, that's something I've never heard of. If you keep reminding us, we might give you one "Submit" key per section in 2.0. The downside is obviously many duplicate translations in many languages... hmm

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

Board footer