Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

FluxBB 1.5.6 and 1.4.12 released

These releases fix a security issue - please update your forums! Download links: v1.5.6 | v1.4.12

#1 2012-10-26 21:38:08

epinephrine

BBCode shortcuts

Please enable shortcuts for BBCode, like <Ctrl> or <Alt>+b for [ b] and matching [ /b], or wrapping the tags around the selected text. Same for i, m (images), q (quotes), and u (urls). It would speed up writing bbcode and make it more comfortable. I already filed a Ticket for that, #756

Studio384 wrote:

Please ask those things first in the Feature request forum. Beside, I don't think this will make it since we will got a WYSIWYG or a button bar in FluxBB 2.0.

I think Buttons are nice, though don't provide the effectiveness that shortcuts do. You need to leave your hand from the keyboard, move it to your mouse and click a button, then go back to your keyboard. That is significantly slower than just staying on your keyboard and press a shortcut. It is essentially another feature imo. As a plus, shortcuts keeps the interface lightweight (well, you don't change it wink ). Many other forum framework softwares provide shortcuts and I find writing with them very comfortable.
Thanks smile

#2 2012-10-26 22:23:48

Studio384
Developer
Website

Re: BBCode shortcuts

But shortcuts has a learn curve, beside, there aren't that much logical shortcuts left since Windows/Mac OS/Linux and Internet Explorer/Firefox/Opera/etc. are using a lot of them, and I hate it when a site takes over a shortcut...

FluxBB Community Benelux - ModernBB 3.1
Profile Plus: A new FluxBB profile interface

#3 2012-10-26 22:32:46

epinephrine

You could add this feature in addition to buttons, like in other forums where they have buttons and shortcuts.
I can well understand if you don't like sites taking over shortcuts, in general I don't like it either, but in the case of forums it enhances productivity to an extent where I welcome it wink
Why don't you implement it as an option for users, disabled by default? Then people who like it can enable it, others just leave it disabled. Also, one could implement it in a way that the shortcuts are only enabled when the text message box is in use, so to reduce the time the site takes over shortcuts to a minimum.

#4 2012-10-26 22:39:47

JohnLewis
Developer

Personally I would say no. Is adding additional things which are not required, really in boundaries of our philosophy. This can be added through a modification/extension. By default, it is not really required.

John F. Lewis
FluxBB Developer

#5 2012-10-26 22:47:04

epinephrine

I come from the Arch Linux forums where I was told that they don't install extensions and rather use the vanilla fluxBB code. That's why I tried to get this feature enabled upstream wink But OK, I seem to be the only one who likes shortcuts... But let me ask, in how far are wysiwyg buttons "required"? And there are a couple of extensions for this already

#6 2012-10-26 23:04:55

Studio384
Developer
Website

epinephrine wrote:

I come from the Arch Linux forums where I was told that they don't install extensions and rather use the vanilla fluxBB code. That's why I tried to get this feature enabled upstream wink But OK, I seem to be the only one who likes shortcuts... But let me ask, in how far are wysiwyg buttons "required"? And there are a couple of extensions for this already

First of al, they don't got it (they have the developers for that) 'cause the same reason like we won't implementate it by default: keep it simple. Since FluxBB 1.4, 2 years ago, there are more and more people that really want to see a standard button bar/WYSIWYG in FluxBB. It's not really needed, but it's just nice to got it since it's very, well... It's just handy and most other forum software has it already.

#7 2012-10-30 12:44:22

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I actually believe that this could be quite a cool feature to go along with a toolbar, as this is mainly a usability thing and it would improve the one thing most people do most of the time in a forum - writing.

Maybe both in an official extension.

Let's discuss! smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#8 2012-10-30 14:37:38

Studio384
Developer
Website

Do official extensions need a ticket?

#9 2012-10-30 14:49:39

Franz
Lead developer
Website

As we'd need to create them, yeah, probably.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#10 2012-10-30 16:03:15

JohnLewis
Developer

As an extension, I agree. But as a core feature, no.

John F. Lewis
FluxBB Developer

#11 2012-10-30 17:02:44

Studio384
Developer
Website

Franz wrote:

As we'd need to create them, yeah, probably.

Is it then not a good idea to create a sepperate tracker for it, or use the converter tracker and change the name to extensions?

#12 2012-10-30 17:20:14

JohnLewis
Developer

We could create a new tracker for official extensions, but people may think its for suggestion. We can't rename the converter tracker, unless Daris has given up on the converter and I doubt that.

John F. Lewis
FluxBB Developer

#13 2012-10-30 17:41:56

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I'm toying with the idea of distributing the official extensions along with the core package.

That would mean tickets referring to those extensions could just go to the core tracker.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#14 2012-10-30 18:13:04

JohnLewis
Developer

Well to be honest Franz with the name 'official' extensions it would seem appropriate to distribute them by default.

John F. Lewis
FluxBB Developer

#15 2012-10-30 21:58:05

Franz
Lead developer
Website

See, that's a good point. What should official extensions be like?

Just normal extensions kept in the extension repository thingy, but maintained by us as examples of good extensions, or real "official" extensions with support, distribution etc.?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#16 2012-10-30 22:18:10

JohnLewis
Developer

Well,

We have community modifications (soon to be extensions) that are hosted and supported by independent developers. We should do something similar. I have one idea and two ways to show our official extensions.

First the idea, since official extensions are developed by us, and we need to track development like everything else, one thing to consider s a personalised tracker for them. Like for code, when we select a topic (extensions, code, usability etc.) we should have a list of our extensions there. User can select an extensions and reports bugs, give enhancements and we can add tasks. This way we can keep a track of development.

Now how to show them? I have two suggestions. We could add them to the resource page and have them labeled as official. However that could confuse with independent developers. So my other suggestion is under download we have a page called Official Extensions or something similar where we list all extensions a download link and a paragraph about what it does.

If anyone (I assume Franz will) has any questions about what I said above or anything relating to the above, just ask.

John F. Lewis
FluxBB Developer

#17 2012-10-31 11:51:18

Studio384
Developer
Website

I agree with John, and actually, the first and second option looks both good.

#18 2012-10-31 12:25:02

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I think they should definitely be added to the extension repository just like normal extensions, but they will probably be featured as "official" or simply as "featured" extensions on the start page for that section.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#19 2012-10-31 13:43:18

Studio384
Developer
Website

Franz wrote:

I think they should definitely be added to the extension repository just like normal extensions, but they will probably be featured as "official" or simply as "featured" extensions on the start page for that section.

Sounds good to me. But another question: when is an extension a official extension? Only when it's developed by us, or are we also let other developers outside the FluxBB.org team developer official extensions?

#20 2012-10-31 20:50:55

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Studio384 wrote:

or are we also let other developers outside the FluxBB.org team developer official extensions?

No, I don't think that would make sense, to be honest.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#21 2012-11-01 10:28:08

Studio384
Developer
Website

Anyway, we can also make a new milestone called "Extentions".

#22 2012-11-09 11:23:39

BarbJones

Franz wrote:

I actually believe that this could be quite a cool feature to go along with a toolbar, as this is mainly a usability thing and it would improve the one thing most people do most of the time in a forum - writing.

Maybe both in an official extension.

Let's discuss! smile

Sounds good, after all you need to hear to the users call. Maybe you don't want to keep it as a default feature, but you can atleast have a button that can extend the options when clicked. It shouldn't take much space isn't it ? plus you don't loose the clean & separated layout too.

This should surely add to the interest of the users. smile

Barb from WHUK - Best Web Hosting UK Company since 2001
VPS Hosting UK | Cloud Web Hosting

Board footer