Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-27 18:57:40

Franz
Lead developer
Website

FluxBB 1.5-beta released

I am pleased to announce the first (and probably last) beta version of FluxBB 1.5!

What, you ask. Another major release? Well, yes and no.
In the past couple of weeks, we had an ongoing discussion about how we could improve our anti-spam measures in a simple and yet effective way.

We have come up with such a solution:

• Links can now be disallowed on a per-group basis.

• Users can now be promoted to a new user group once they have reached a certain number of posts.

• (As that last one is very similar to the current ranks feature, we did away with that.)

These two features, in combination, will allow you to setup your forum in such a way that new users will only be able to post links (the prime objective for spammers) once they have built themselves a somewhat solid foundation by means of regular posts.

The final version, dubbed 1.5.0, will also contain all changes of the very-much-upcoming v1.4.9 version, of course.

In an effort to keep upgrading as easy as possible for those who'd prefer it that way (or don't need the new features), we decided to maintain those the 1.4 and 1.5 versions in parallel.
Also, strictly speaking, our version numbering scheme required us to do so wink

We would be happy about a few more beta testers. So head over to the (yet) rather hidden download page, install the beta and have a play trying to break the new features.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#2 2012-04-27 19:44:38

Studio384
Developer
Website

Re: FluxBB 1.5-beta released

I'm happy with it, I yesterday upgrade my forum on my portfolio (and FluxBB Vlaanderen / Nederland) to this béta, until now: no problems...

By the way: will we got a RC to? Or is FluxBB v1.5 stable the next version?

Last edited by Studio384 (2012-04-27 19:53:06)

FluxBB Community Benelux - ModernBB 3.4
Profile Plus: A new FluxBB profile interface

#3 2012-04-27 20:13:24

Franz
Lead developer
Website

No RC planned. The changes are small enough and already tested quite a bit.

I plan to release the final version, v1.5.0, in about a week - after I have merged the changes of (then released) v1.4.9 and cleaning up the site.

EDIT: I will also push these changes to the site in a few minutes.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#4 2012-04-28 02:19:49

NaMiSwAn
Website

the new version have a merge topic or not?

Looking For Very cheap and affordable DDS?
Just Visit This Site:
https://www.facebook.com/DatahostNetworksInc
VERY CHEAP DDS [DEDICATED SERVER] FOR $50 MONTHLY

#5 2012-04-28 03:10:06

Ishimaru Chiaki
Website

I'm having a few questions, for I'm working to migrate my site to FluxBB :
- I can still use my mods in the new version ?
- Will there be much changes in the MDK ?
- I will still be able to use the ConnectixBoards-to-FluxBB converter I wrote with daris' help ?

Because those antispam features interest me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ishimaru Chiaki (2012-04-28 03:10:27)

Xubuntu 12.04 - GIMP 2.8 - XHTML/CSS (advanced) - PHP/MySQL (medium)
Future FluxBB user - FluxBB Migration Tool on GitHub

#6 2012-04-28 06:02:25

Studio384
Developer
Website

Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:

I'm having a few questions, for I'm working to migrate my site to FluxBB :
- I will still be able to use the ConnectixBoards-to-FluxBB converter I wrote with daris' help ?

Because those antispam features interest me.

Thanks in advance.

For the last one: you can upgrade you form to FluxBB v1.4.8, after that, it's easy to upgrade to version 1.5.

#7 2012-04-28 06:55:09

arw

Nothing change in mdk. As for mods, if the mod was interacting with rank it should fail ( otherwise it should be okay ).

#8 2012-04-28 12:53:45

Franz
Lead developer
Website

NaMiSwAn wrote:

the new version have a merge topic or not?

Yes, of course it still has that feature. We've had that since 1.3.

Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:

Yes, mods will mostly work with the new version.
You will probably have to add a few more columns in your converter (and get rid of the ranks table), but not much.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#9 2012-04-28 14:06:55

heartcall
Website

As some of you know... I was finally able to integrate my FluxBB into my site.  Will this upgrade affect my design/theme?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance!!!

#10 2012-04-28 14:24:16

Mark

heartcall wrote:

As some of you know... I was finally able to integrate my FluxBB into my site.  Will this upgrade affect my design/theme?

No, the style hasn't been changed.

#11 2012-04-28 15:33:56

Dr. Deejay

Good news smile

#12 2012-04-28 21:02:37

Ishimaru Chiaki
Website

Franz wrote:

Yes, mods will mostly work with the new version.
You will probably have to add a few more columns in your converter (and get rid of the ranks table), but not much.

I just checked in the converter (available here) and it doesn't affect the ranks table, so it should be fine.
But I'll download 1.5 to compare the table and test the converter, so I can be sure it's fully compatible.

#13 2012-04-28 22:33:49

stevetheipad

When will the full release come out?

floating on a big blue cloud somewhere above you

#14 2012-04-28 23:25:44

heartcall
Website

Still thinking this through... should I, shouldn't I wink

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance!!!

#15 2012-04-29 05:46:56

Ishimaru Chiaki
Website

Finally, one file in the tool itself had to be updated, for it used the ranks cache generation function at the end of conversion.  I updated it, so it'll use it only if the function exists.  I also updated my Connectix Boards converter to add the minimal posts and next group within group data to add.

The updated converter is now on my repo and I sent a pull request to daris.

#16 2012-04-29 07:30:09

tomek

How about styles? Do you plan to create new styles for 1.5?

I hope we will not have to modify old styles roll

Free Forum Hosting - create your FluxBB forum in 5 seconds!

#17 2012-04-29 10:16:29

Studio384
Developer
Website

tomek wrote:

How about styles? Do you plan to create new styles for 1.5?

I hope we will not have to modify old styles roll

Nop, if I've understand right yesterday, 1.5 don't get new/updated styles.

Last edited by Studio384 (2012-04-30 22:17:15)

#18 2012-04-30 22:11:56

jacob
Website

This is great except for one thing: removing ranks entirely. I want to be able to change the title of a user without changing the user group when they get more posts.

Another suggestion is to disallow images as well as links for select groups.

Jacob G.
Developer at FutureSight Technologies

#19 2012-05-01 14:54:11

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Hi,
I am against the simultaneous development of two branches.
If you look at the "Tickets", we can see there are already two versions provided: 1.4.9 and 1.4.10 and a parallel version 1.5.0. I totally refuse to change my forum and my mods on two branches.

I put my mods up to date (Mod Installer, RMO, VSABR, DATLOC) ONLY for the branch that I will use myself (1.4.9 and 1.4.10). It is totally out of question that I follow two different versions of mods that requires two installations of differentiated forum with two bases also differentiated ; This is already a big job to update one version for one change...

Already the new 1.4.x versions were consistent, we should make do with two active branches ? This will become a nightmare for modders who we are.

It was enough of an option in the Administration to choose with or without promotion and keep the 1.4 with 1.4.9, 1.4.10, 1.4.11 and so on. Because what is in view, this is version 2.0, not a second branch.

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#20 2012-05-02 17:55:25

Wan

Hi !
I do not agree with this decision to two branches. It's confusing, it's a competition with oneself. It's against-productive.
I did not care much whether the new versions would be called 1.4.x or 1.5.x, whether they have fewer features or more others besides ... but I really do not understand why create two versions in parallel.

This is a typical lack of a frank decision: we do not want to decide what is best, therefore we allow to develop both ... with the risk that half the people continues on with FluxBB, letting them unclear. It also overlooks past history (what happened with 1.2.x and 1.3.x in parallel ... basically one branch is dead, the other survives somehow with a big lack of maintenance).

What will happen is that each user will pull up for a branch or the other, "bravely" ignoring those who use the "other". I think that contrary to what the devs can hope, each branch will inevitably move away from each other (otherwise there's no possible survival). With changes and mods developed, one will eventually swallow up the other .

Rather than proceed like this, we could think for real changes to accompany the transition to 2.0, version which may, for once but for their sake, disturb a lot of users who like to look at the code.

This is a strategic mistake and an absurdity in development policy.

You can still avoid this by deciding a single decision.

Thanks to think about simple users as myself...

#21 2012-05-03 09:53:33

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Well, the two branches would not diverge by much - the only difference would be the anti-spam features, everything else would continually be merged.

I think the main idea was to keep people from complaining about having to do large updates like this, but as it stands, they don't have to, as none of the changes are security-relevant, so that might be okay, unless we hear otherwise?

But I do see your point and mostly agree.
So, my suggestion now: only continue the 1.5 branch (our numbering scheme forces us to increase the number), which would then basically be v1.4.10.

Unless people complain? But then again, we can't make everyone happy, and I'd personally agree that this approach keeps us a little more relaxed.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#22 2012-05-03 11:16:23

François
Website

Is it complicated to make it optionnal the use of the rank system or the promotion one ? That the administrator could choose between the two systems in the options ?

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#23 2012-05-03 12:00:28

arw

it would not be complicated, it would only need to not delete rank for that= ( no need to an option to choose between the two since when you set no rank, there is no rank and when you set not group promotion you get no group promotion )

but I imagine it's not done since two thing to do the same thing is one thing too much

#24 2012-05-03 12:07:27

Franz
Lead developer
Website

arw wrote:

but I imagine it's not done since two thing to do the same thing is one thing too much

Exactly. But I agree that ranks could be simpler.

But that just means that we'll think about a simpler interface for this feature in 2.x (I already have an idea).

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#25 2012-05-03 12:32:36

arw

i didn't found the rank system very usefull, but now you can make several "normal user group" and set them rank and "change of power" ( less limits for example ), you get the same possibility as ranks and more possibilities

only issue is if you have 20 "normal user group" and you want to change something in all these ( for example you want to allow all them to "use search" ), you will need to edit 20 groups

the way to resolve it I think would be having either :

- " set of permissions " and " groups " with the group which can have some or several set of permissions
-  a group inheriting from another ( when the other get a permission higher than the inherited one, the inherited one get this permissions )

but personnaly i don't think group needs to be changed every morning so i find the current system ok

Board footer