Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-07 13:16:16

Franz
Lead developer
Website

A new future for FluxBB 2.0

If you have followed FluxBB's development lately, you might have noticed that it has been rather quiet in the fluxbb-2.0 branch.

This has many reasons, but the main one is, of course, time and resources. We have all been busy with work and/or university, some of us are even in the process of moving to a new continent.

Gladly, my semester is almost over and I have a few days on my calendar reserved only for FluxBB 2.0, so at the end of this summer things should be looking up again.

In the last couple of days I have been playing around with the Laravel framework - a sleek, new framework that took the PHP world by storm due to its simplicity and expressiveness. After I had implemented a client's project using Laravel, I tested how easy it would be to port FluxBB 2.0 to this framework. And I was enthralled.

So, to make a long story short, we have decided to take a step backwards and use Laravel as a base for FluxBB 2.0.

So why another change of direction, you might ask?
(Hey, startups pivot all the time.)

The main reason is time. We have been stuck for the last months trying to essentially create our own framework as a base for what would be FluxBB 2.0. We had some nice ideas, but the many problems that needed to be solved proved to be too much in combination with our current manpower.

Also, porting to Laravel forces us to use a clean structure for our project right from the beginning and not try to introduce good structure slowly and step-by-step (a tedious process!), as was planned until now. Having a complete framework allows us to focus on our own code, which will allow us to implement new features more quickly, once we've caught up with the current codebase.

My hope is also that we can enthuse some of the folks in the Laravel community with FluxBB - there's a good chance as they're already using FluxBB for their support forums.

In fact, I can already present to you a new team member: AlexCogn, who was planning to implement his own forum system using Laravel. I could convince him to join our team instead. smile

We are currently working on updating the roadmap. First and foremost we want to port the current code to Laravel. Once this is done, we will go through all the features that we thought about for 2.0 to see which ones will make it in. Last but not least, we still have to implement the extension system.

That's it for now. I know that this might be frustrating news for some of you at first, but I can only ask for your understanding. We made this decision in an effort to do what's best and most realistic for the future of FluxBB. Thank you for the patience you have showed so far, and thanks for staying with us!

P.S.: Of course we're not leaving you alone with v1.5. The next maintenance release is targeted for early August.
P.P.S.: We will publish our work probably this weekend on GitHub. I will post the links both here and on Twitter.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#2 2012-07-07 14:24:52

Studio384
Developer
Website

Re: A new future for FluxBB 2.0

Awesome! I can't wait!

FluxBB Community Benelux - ModernBB 3.4
Profile Plus: A new FluxBB profile interface

#3 2012-07-07 14:58:32

Meow
Website

Wow. Wow. I guess the progress of FluxBB is much faster than other open-sourced forum softwares.

Last edited by Meow (2012-07-07 15:10:26)

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#4 2012-07-07 15:53:43

Studio384
Developer
Website

Do you know a date for the first alpha release of FluxBB 2 on this moment? smile

#5 2012-07-07 16:20:55

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Wow, didn't expect that question that quickly. wink

We'll be able to see where we're headed in a month or so. Until then, wish me luck with my exams... big_smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#6 2012-07-07 16:32:51

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Franz wrote:

... wish me luck with my exams... big_smile

Hi,
As you are a serious student, diligent, punctual, wise and modest, success is no doubt. wink

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#7 2012-07-07 17:08:24

arw

sounds good ^^

good luck with exams

#8 2012-07-07 17:20:45

Franz
Lead developer
Website

So, the repositories are online at GitHub.

The distributable version will be built from fluxbb/fluxbb2, but most development will take place at fluxbb/core. That has to do with the architecture of Laravel, providing something called "bundles". Laravel users will be able to very easily integrate the FluxBB into their site from that repository.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#9 2012-07-07 18:41:45

Paul
Developer

I had a feeling you were going in that direction.  I'm a Laravel user too and have been lurking around the Laravel forums for a while.  I even paid for a copy of Dayle Rees's book.

P.S. It would make sense for fluxbb.org to use Laravel as well considering how much of it depends on dynamic content.

The only thing worse than finding a bug is knowing I created it in the first place.

#10 2012-07-07 19:00:59

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Paul wrote:

I had a feeling you were going in that direction.  I'm a Laravel user too and have been lurking around the Laravel forums for a while.  I even paid for a copy of Dayle Rees's book.

Awesome. I'm obviously planning an attack on you regarding the ultimate template hierarchy for creating an extensible forum.

Hearing that you've been using Laravel, too, gives me more arguments, hehe. smile

Paul wrote:

P.S. It would make sense for fluxbb.org to use Laravel as well considering how much of it depends on dynamic content.

Yes, absolutely. I've been planning something with this forever and Laravel fits right in, but they have to sort some issues first, and I want to finish 2.0. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#11 2012-07-08 06:22:11

FSX
Former Developer
Website

Nice to hear. A good, solid framework saves a lot of work.

#12 2012-07-08 09:26:01

zaher
Website

At least i can say, good luck.

#13 2012-07-09 11:18:11

AlexCogn
Developer

I'm glad to be part of this project, and I am also happy that this progresses very fast. Most of the time we'll be porting FluxBB parts into the laravel structure but that is not a bad thing. Things are structured now in a way that you can find things easily in a couple of seconds.

#14 2012-07-10 09:58:16

XtreaMeR
FluxBB Donor

This is brilliant news, and I am looking forward to seeing the results. smile

#15 2012-07-11 04:18:21

korui

YiiFramework is a good choice, too...

#16 2012-07-13 19:20:33

Studio384
Developer
Website

korui wrote:

YiiFramework is a good choice, too...

No

But, do we have to install Laravel first before we can use FluxBB 2?

Last edited by Studio384 (2012-07-13 19:21:07)

#17 2012-07-13 20:30:16

Franz
Lead developer
Website

They will be packaged together.

That also means that the package will be a little larger than the old one. But I'd argue that hard disk space is the smaller issue these days (also, Laravel isn't very large).

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#18 2012-07-13 22:13:19

Studio384
Developer
Website

Franz wrote:

That also means that the package will be a little larger than the old one. But I'd argue that hard disk space is the smaller issue these days (also, Laravel isn't very large).

If it's not larger then 25GB, the free space I got on my website, I can used it! smile

#19 2012-07-15 08:33:33

korui

Studio384 wrote:
Franz wrote:

If it's not larger then 25GB, the free space I got on my website, I can used it! smile

Lol, you're funny.

#20 2012-07-23 15:33:43

scandic

Franz wrote:

So, the repositories are online at GitHub.
The distributable version will be built from fluxbb/fluxbb2, but most development will take place at fluxbb/core. That has to do with the architecture of Laravel, providing something called "bundles". Laravel users will be able to very easily integrate the FluxBB into their site from that repository.

That's by far the best news for the 2.0 branch. I'd really appreciate if the forums bundle would be fully abstracted and can be used within existing Laravel framework based applications. How do you plan to work on common stuff like user and access management? I've seen great work by the people who build "the platform" using Laravel. IMHO the whole abstraction should be very deep, taking each core function to an own bundle with an interface class for optimal flexibility.

And what direction do you want to go with the licence? GPL is evil for a modular system that mixes various products and I'd love to see a move to a more flexible licence (MIT or BSD style).

#21 2012-07-27 15:09:42

iatkrox
Website

Awesome !

While most are dreaming of success, winners wake-up and work hard to achieve it.

#22 2012-07-29 23:45:57

Newman

to much irony @ the main website

"Laravel is a clean and classy framework for PHP web development. Freeing you from spaghetti code, Laravel helps you
create wonderful applications using simple, expressive syntax. Development should be a creative experience
that you enjoy, not something that is painful. Enjoy the fresh air."

I don't think I can breathe anymore when having to wait on this crappy js to load every refresh, cache or not, it slows your page down.

"	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://laravel.com/css/style.css">
	<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://laravel.com/img/favicon.png">
	<script type="text/javascript" src="http://use.typekit.com/dlj4kfm.js"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript">try{Typekit.load();}catch(e){}</script>
	<script type="text/javascript" src="http://laravel.com/js/modernizr-2.5.2.min.js"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript">
		var _gaq = _gaq || [];
		_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-23865777-1']);
		_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
			var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
		    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
		    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
		})();
	</script>

<title>Laravel Forums</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/Laravel.css" />
<!--[if lte IE 6]><script type="text/javascript" src="style/imports/minmax.js"></script><![endif]-->
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="extern.php?action=feed&amp;type=atom" title="Atom active topics feed" />
</head>" 

Lovely.............  If you're going to use a headline of "Clean and cut NON spaghetti code" please don't throw in abunch of javascript garbage..........

Having javascript minified helps performance, but having all that crap really makes your forum slow. 

Your forum is very fast too, ping is around 90ms, what a shame using bloated javascript to slow it down.  If you're going to atleast use all that javascript, atleast use ajax and make it faster, or have a awesome menu/design, all you got now is a onclick drop down menu which can be done using innerhtml's js function...

Comon.......

Btw, this post is no way directed towards you franz,  it's directed to their webmaster.

Last edited by Newman (2012-07-29 23:46:46)

#23 2012-08-08 10:24:34

Dr. Deejay

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it smile

#24 2012-08-25 14:59:18

Trace
Website

Eh, sorry, I don't like this framework, but basing on FW in our times is a good idea.

My FluxBB 1.5.3 styles:
DarkAce | Sadness

#25 2012-09-16 18:59:34

euantor
Website

The move to Laravel is one of the key things that brought me to check out Flux. I'm a team member from a competing open source software in fact but some of your posts (@Franz) have helped me on the Laravel forums as it's currently my framework of choice.

Last edited by euantor (2012-09-16 19:00:07)

Board footer