Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

FluxBB 1.5.6 and 1.4.12 released

These releases fix a security issue - please update your forums! Download links: v1.5.6 | v1.4.12

#1 2009-01-10 22:00:37

Connor
Former Developer

The future of FluxBB

After the considerable discussion of the future of FluxBB we want to make this announcement to confirm what will happen over the coming months and the longer term plan for the future. I am going to break this up into the plans for the different versions of FluxBB.

Version 1.2/1.4

Smartys has already been working on an upgrade to 1.2, he has kindly offered to contribute his efforts to FluxBB, and we will be releasing this code as a 1.4 beta. We then intend to release a 1.4 final version soon after when we are satisfied any major issues have been resolved. The following points were the most discussed so we want to make them clear:

• There will be the option to upgrade from versions 1.2 and 1.3 to 1.4

• There will be no extensions system for 1.4

• Modifications for 1.2 may be compatitible for 1.4 but some may need to be updated

• There will be little visual change from 1.2 to 1.4, styles for 1.2 should work with 1.4

Version 1.3

We will not be continuing to directly develop version 1.3 (I will discuss 2.0 in a moment), however we will be releasing a final version, which will probably be revision 718 which many people are currently using, but with any minor markup issues fixed. We do not intend to support this release, and it is not intended for people to start using now, but we don't want to abandon people currently running 1.3 with many of their own extensions. We will recommend people using 1.3 currently move to 1.4 when it is released, but at the same time we know not everyone will.

Version 2.0

This is the next major version of FluxBB and what we are most excited about, it will be similar to 1.3 but will include a way of creating per-style templates, isolation of markup and code, as well as other features we have yet to discuss in detail. We want the development of this to go better than 1.3 did, and as such we are first going to plan exactly what we want from 2.0, and we will then develop it. There are currently no definite decisions for 2.0 and we will be discussing them. We will make further announcements as and when decisions are made.

Other annoucements

As well as the future of the different branches we have some other important plans.

Internationalisation

Once 1.4 has been released we will be supporting internationalisation of this site, this will mean the homepage, about, and downloads pages will have localised versions, the wiki already supports this, and for languages that wish there will be localised forums moderated by volunteers who speak that language. There will be more on this once 1.4 is out.

Modifications, styles and other resources

Up until now we have left the hosting of resources for FluxBB 1.2 up to punres.net, with the release of 1.4 we feel we should do more, this means we will be changing the extension repository we had planned to support hosting of mods for 1.x, as well as styles and eventually extensions for 2.x. We hope to have this system up at least in a basic form shortly in order to be available for the release of 1.4.

The FluxBB Team

Perhaps the most immediately interesting announcement is that we wish to involve more people directly with the development of FluxBB. There are many jobs that need done and the more people involved the better and faster we feel we can get them done. This team will be largely self-appointed, how it will work is anyone who wishes to get involved simply needs to drop me an email. We expected some evidence that you would be good to have on the team, which could be that you've been active on these forums, or just a link to your site, etc. We will then add you to a usergroup on this forum, and you will be able to talk in a private forum.

The plan is to break up the jobs that need done as much as possible on trac, and to allow anyone on the team to take any of the tasks, once someone accepts a task it will be expected that they complete it in a reasonable time frame and to a reasonable quality. No one will be forced to take tasks though, it will simply be contribute when you can. We also would expect people in the team to post on the forum and be generally helpful. In the future we may also have jobs such as auditing modifications and extensions for code quality. We also plan to create a todo list for the wiki and hope people will contribute to that.

If you feel you can contribute in any way please feel free to send me a quick email. We need experience in any (and all) of php, mysql, postgresql, sqlite, css, xhtml, javascript, or anything else you feel could help, we also need people to write documentation and otherwise look after the wiki. We would also like to hear from you if you feel you could contribute but for some reason we aren't giving you the opportunity you require.

We hope you are as excited about the future of FluxBB as we are, we know some of these announcements will cause problems for people, but we feel this will give us the strongest future, and in the long run be best for everyone.

#2 2009-01-10 23:04:17

Wojnar

Re: The future of FluxBB

Deleting extensions system is the most stupid idea, which I ever seen. Step back to old 1.2? OK, but not for me and not for other people. I think extension system was really cool and helpful, like styles. 1.2 is to simple for our times. You think, that all want to make step back, from 1.3 (also) ? So why we upgraded our forums? Just for extensions, new markup and new options.

2.0? When... You said that beta3 will be soon relased and we were waiting for 7 months. So on 2.0 we will wait to 2017? Sorry again not for me.

Internationalisation - again stupid idea. Kill all fluxbb.* forums, and You will stay alone.

I think that You choosed wrong way. PuBB will kill FluxBB by popularity (extension system, more advanced styles, etc. )

Last edited by Wojnar (2009-01-10 23:05:16)

#3 2009-01-10 23:05:35

Connor
Former Developer

Wojnar wrote:

Deleting extensions system is the most stupid idea, which I ever seen. Step back to old 1.2? OK, but not for me and not for other people. I think extension system was really cool and helpful, like styles. 1.2 is to simple for our times. You think, that all want to make step back, from 1.3 (also) ? So why we upgraded our forums? Just for extensions, new markup and new options.

2.0? When... You said that beta3 will be soon relased and we were waiting for 7 months. So for 2.0 we will wait to 2017? Sorry again not for me.

Internationalisation - again stupid idea. Kill all fluxbb.* forums, and You will stay alone.

I think that You choosed wrong way. PuBB will kill FluxBB by popularity (extension system, more advanced styles, etc. )

We are not deleting the extension system. I'm sure you would like internationalisation if you didn't speak english.

#4 2009-01-10 23:07:11

Frank H
Website

Sounds great that you have sat down and looked at the situation, and figured what you want to do smile

You've got my support! smile

#5 2009-01-10 23:09:08

Wojnar

So what is 1.4? Continuing 1.2 with some improvemets? It is like starting again.

International forums are usually less popular than with country domain. See joomla.org polish support forums, and http://forum.joomla.pl/

Last edited by Wojnar (2009-01-10 23:09:44)

#6 2009-01-10 23:12:26

Connor
Former Developer

Wojnar wrote:

So what is 1.4? Continuing 1.2 with some improvemets? It is like starting again.

This was discussed at length in http://fluxbb.org/forums/topic/2384/the … of-fluxbb/ this is an announcement not discussion.

#7 2009-01-10 23:14:53

vnpenguin
Website

I'm using 1.3-r718 now. If there is no extension feature in 1.4, I would like to say NO to 1.4 and try stay with 1.3-r718.modified_by_me.

For 2.0, sorry, I can't wait for it.

#8 2009-01-10 23:16:04

Connor
Former Developer

vnpenguin wrote:

I'm using 1.3-r718 now. If there is no extension feature in 1.4, I would like to say NO to 1.4 and try stay with 1.3-r718.modified_by_me.

If you read my post I covered that, we will be releasing a version of 1.3 with the obvious issues in 718 fixed, but we won't be recommending people use it or supporting it.

#9 2009-01-10 23:28:51

FSX
Former Developer
Website

Good choice. You've got my support too.

#10 2009-01-11 02:09:21

KeyDog

Looking on the bright side. Thanks for clarifying. It's appreciated.

When are we expecting more color on what exactely 1.4 is improving? What features? Or Security issues? Would have liked to understand better....

RE: 1.3 - Wouldn't the proper way of deciding not to support 1.3 have been the open way for an open source forum?

Will/would 1.3 even require much support from flux side? Seems to be generating some decent interest.

I think the hassle you'll have with saying YES, we support 1.3 and the feedback and interest generated by it will by far outweigh the limbo you seem to be putting the extension system in by saying NO.

Plus I don't really like how that could happen that we have that decision without debate beforehand smile

Last edited by KeyDog (2009-01-11 02:29:02)

#11 2009-01-11 02:33:40

MattF
Website

KeyDog wrote:

Plus I don't really like how that could happen that we have that decision without debate beforehand smile

How much Dev work were you planning to put into the core, personally?

Screw the chavs and God save the Queen!

#12 2009-01-11 02:43:17

Connor
Former Developer

The decision to not support 1.3 is that 2.0 will completely replace it and 1.4 is available till then, 1.3 is far from finished, probably has many bugs and we do not want it to be used. Supporting it would mean continuing to develop it, which as we have seen over the past 6 months is not going well. The only reason we are making a final release is we don't want to abandon the people currently using a version with obvious issues.

We also have been discussing this openly http://fluxbb.org/forums/topic/2384/the … of-fluxbb/ I personally read and considered every post in that thread, we feel this is the best way forward.

#13 2009-01-11 02:52:56

KeyDog

I'm not trying to be funny right, but isn't best way of catching bugs to have many users, admins running the latest dev version and reporting back?

Sounds like you think that even though 1.3 has loads of bugs 2.0 will be a virgin in that respect. Just wonder how likely that is.

#14 2009-01-11 02:58:42

Connor
Former Developer

KeyDog, you miss the point completely, 1.3 is a bit of a mess, the extension system was taken much further than it was originally designed, and the markup needs to be in a template system. We no longer want to release 1.3, we don't think its the best idea for the future, its not a case of we need to iron out the bugs, we feel it is fundamentally flawed, and instead of trying to patch it up, we should fix it properly.

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

#15 2009-01-11 03:00:49

KeyDog

It does. Alrighty then. Thanks again for effort you're all putting in.

#16 2009-01-11 05:22:15

Lu

Good!

I wonder if Pun devs will fork 1.4 smile

#17 2009-01-11 05:40:12

Meow
Website

Lu wrote:

Good!

I wonder if Pun devs will fork 1.4 smile

If they did, they sucked.

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#18 2009-01-11 07:01:30

vnpenguin
Website

1.2/1.4 : I say NO
2.0 : I can't wait for
and:

Connor wrote:

Version 1.3
We will not be continuing to directly develop version 1.3 ...
We do not intend to support this release, ...

So FluxBB dev team pushes me to return to PunBB, it's sure!

The last word (maybe) to dev team: you are killing a nice OSS project. It's sad, so sad!

#19 2009-01-11 07:10:38

Connor
Former Developer

Go use PunBB then, we can't please everyone, we're doing what we think is best, we gave opportunity for discussion, we took comments on board, if you don't like what we're doing, use different software.

#20 2009-01-11 08:14:03

horus

I'm happy to read this announcement. This is a good roadmap for me, thank you for minding 1.3 users.

I will stay with Flux.

Dev team have my moral support and if I can I will get more involved.

#21 2009-01-11 08:44:29

Jérémie
Website

Aside for the fact you're giving up on people who have been waiting for 3 years or so (most of them who didn't gave up on you, didn't attack you, and several of them trusting you with the fork), here's an idea: choose someone else on the core team as a spokesperson. Verbally assaulting users and contributors won't get the job done.

Last edited by Jérémie (2009-01-11 08:45:44)

#22 2009-01-11 09:04:02

Meow
Website

vnpenguin wrote:

The last word (maybe) to dev team: you are killing a nice OSS project. It's sad, so sad!

I'm sad that you are being selfish.

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#23 2009-01-11 10:10:57

Frank H
Website

vnpenguin wrote:

So FluxBB dev team pushes me to return to PunBB, it's sure!

Jérémie wrote:

Aside for the fact you're giving up on people who have been waiting for 3 years or so

Isn't it better to develop something that's right for the time, than to continue to develop something that is already old when it's going to final? (Resources are limited, so why waste time on something the dev team doesn't feel is right?)

Jérémie wrote:

here's an idea: choose someone else on the core team as a spokesperson. Verbally assaulting users and contributors won't get the job done.

I don't blame the devs if they get a bit buggered, when half the posts on the forum are direct attacks from various people to do everything in another way ... and I have never ever felt assaulted, but perhaps that's just because I think before I write, and try to give constructive critisism where possible, and not just write something harsh, attacking people, when I think something isn't done the way I want ...

#24 2009-01-11 10:40:57

Jérémie
Website

Frank H wrote:

Isn't it better to develop something that's right for the time, than to continue to develop something that is already old when it's going to final? (Resources are limited, so why waste time on something the dev team doesn't feel is right?)

The only thing stopping 1.3 for several months now is the new CSS styling, because Paul is stuck on something else than Flux and no other dev have the skills to do it. The exact same thing will happen for 2.0, why wouldn't it? Unless they plan that Paul will be free, or another CSS guru will come along during 2.0 dev time, but Connor has several times explain the reasoning for 2.0 and available styling skills wasn't mentioned once, so I can only guess 2.0 isn't related to that.

I don't blame the devs if they get a bit buggered, when half the posts on the forum are direct attacks from various people to do everything in another way ...

I never did that. I suggested to choose another spokesperson, one that won't initiate a fight on its own. And maybe a couple moderators to remove users insulting each others.

and I have never ever felt assaulted, but perhaps that's just because I think before I write, and try to give constructive critisism where possible, and not just write something harsh, attacking people, when I think something isn't done the way I want ...

I've been doing that for over 4 years now, and I didn't have any issues at all until a few weeks or months. But it's something way more global than myself, look at the forums these last weeks.

And it's not initiated by the few people asking the same thing over and over (a simple response to that as been suggested within a week of the fork, it was shut down), it's coming from a few specific people.

#25 2009-01-11 10:59:46

SuperMAG
Website

i dont realy mind this idea, since i am using punbb now, and i can always come back to flux when its done.

but Jérémie is somewhat right.

its about paul, and why is he not mentioned, check the last post of paul in this forum. why isn't he commenting.

its not guarantee that 2.0 will not happen to it the same thing that happened to 1.3. no offence.

alright another thing. the timeline of 2.0

how much will it to change:

1- change the current extension system to bitter one.
2- complete the current markup/css that paul is stuck in it.
3- make a new template system.

is that all, did i missed any thing. if you see it in a logical way, the MAXIMUMMMMM time it can take is 6 months. i mean if they write 10 lines per day (lol). but this isn't the case with fluxbb.

oh and why is 1.4 features from 1.2 are not listed there.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Board footer