Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

FluxBB 1.5.6 and 1.4.12 released

These releases fix a security issue - please update your forums! Download links: v1.5.6 | v1.4.12

#1 2008-12-06 02:31:49

SLK
Website

Why shouldn't I choose PunBB?

Hi..

Im not flaming or anything, but I really like the FluxBB 1.3 (beta) forum. (The design, how it feels etc..)
PunBB is ready with 1.3.1, and I can't see the difference between those two.

Whats the difference?

I have been waiting for FluxBB 1.3 for like ~6 months now, and yet there is still no deadline ("soon", "will be done when it's done".. etc).

Why shouldn't I just go for PunBB 1.3.1 instead of FluxBB 1.3 (if it's ever going to be done) ?

Best regards from Denmark
http://www.billig-scooter.dk (will soon be using FluxBB 1.3 when it is ready)

#2 2008-12-06 02:40:27

Connor
Former Developer

Re: Why shouldn't I choose PunBB?

Well the main point is they aren't really further along in developing 1.3 than us, we don't think 1.3 is ready yet, they do, I guess its up to you in the end smile

#3 2008-12-06 02:44:06

SLK
Website

Connor wrote:

Well the main point is they aren't really further along in developing 1.3 than us, we don't think 1.3 is ready yet, they do, I guess its up to you in the end smile

Oh okay, that I didn't know. I just saw that right after they releasede 1.3 they had the 1.3.1 bug fixes (SQL injections).

It would just be so nice to have an idea, if it will take 3 months, half a year or so.
Would be my best christmas gift smile

#4 2008-12-06 04:37:40

hcgtv
Website

SLK wrote:

It would just be so nice to have an idea, if it will take 3 months, half a year or so.

What follows is a third hand account of what transpired a few months back.

Paul, while diligently working on the markup for 1.3, was greeted with disk write errors on his laptop. Fearing for the loss of his work, he attached his iPod via USB cable to his failing computer. Without a moment to spare, a quick copy & paste transferred the latest FluxBB code to his 30gb, 5th generation, iPod.

The code, now residing on this remarkably shiny black music machine, was weeks of hard work Paul had put in to finalize the markup changes to 1.3. He had held back committing his unfinished work, if only there was a way to committ, but hide drafts, thoughts, directions one takes with code at such late hours.

The next day, Paul setoff with his laptop to seek repairs, his iPod in the usual place, the sidepocket of his jacket. He dropped off the computer at the local computer store, asking the tech to recover what he could of the ailing disk drive. Then headed for the office, listening to the Stones; "You get what you need" spilled from his lips.

Arriving at the office he set about his daily routine of putting behind bars the scum of Wales, at this point I think the third hand account went weird. Anyway, with the Stones still in his mind, he fires up iTunes on his work desktop to order him another tune, something wild, something to lift his spirits.

Then the image he'll never forget, beckoning him to insert his cable, is the cover of Doll Domination from the Pussycat Dolls. He quickly wips out his black shiny iPod and connects with Jessica, the Dell OptiPlex hiding under his desk. He orders "Happily Never After", and watches the Dell give it to the iPod.

It's at this moment, where his choice of song becomes prophetic, the iPod's screen rolls up into it's head, like a date's eyes that's had too much to drink. Paul is speechless, all his songs are gone, oh wait, he remembers, the FluxBB code! Quickly, he heads out to the local Apple store, hoping that the Genius Bar lives up to it's name.

The fellow behind the counter looked dedicated enough, at least he had a tattoo of an Apple on his neck. Paul explains what happened and the fellow says no problem, then escapes to the back room with the shiny black 5th generation iPod commenting on how well preserved it was. The tattoed one returns in short order, all happy, exclaiming that he's resurrected the classic, it breathes!

Now comes the part where Paul's parts started to shrivel up, this is when the tech explains to Paul that he can sign on to iTunes and reclaim all the music he's ever bought. Yes, the tech had reset the iPod to factory settings, he had followed the Genius Bar work manual to the letter, don't waste time on one customer when there's 5 in line, chop, chop.

Today, Paul spends his days listening to his downloaded music collection, hoping to hear a font command.

Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

#5 2008-12-06 04:37:52

Meow
Website

You should choose a perfect one, not an incomplete one.

Enjoy the chosen furry artworks on Chita every day.

#6 2008-12-06 04:38:41

ScottyDoo

I've got this same dilemma right now.  I'm in the process of setting up a member discussion forum for my sangha which extends across a couple states, but some of the features we really need would only be available via extensions.  PunBB has most of the extensions right now, Flux does not, and I totally understand why.  I'm just at a point that our teacher wants to move forward with the project, so I either have to go with PhpBB (don't want to) or see if Pun will work for now.

I really want to stay with Flux, my needs are just moving faster than development.  This is not a complaint, just a reality.  The developers here are doing everything on their own time and of their own free will with no pay and little thanks at times.  I can't do what they're doing and so I have no room to complain.  Deep bows to you all for all your time, sacrifice and effort in this product.  Truly.

In gassho,
ScottyDoo

#7 2008-12-06 05:33:47

Meow
Website

Paul doesn't like Trac so you can't see what he is doing now on it.

#8 2008-12-06 05:37:14

ScottyDoo

Meow wrote:

Paul doesn't like Trac so you can't see what he is doing now on it.

Exactly, so there's no real way to have any idea on the progress...

#9 2008-12-06 05:43:48

Meow
Website

It's not complete now. If they allowed us to give some ideas, there would be a mess. Features in 1.3 have been already decided so we cannot change. What we should do is waiting for 1.3 Beta 3 or finding bugs in SVN.

#10 2008-12-06 05:49:41

ScottyDoo

Meow wrote:

It's not complete now. If they allowed us to give some ideas, there would be a mess. Features in 1.3 have been already decided so we cannot change. What we should do is waiting for 1.3 Beta 3 or finding bugs in SVN.

Who are you replying to Meow?

I haven't suggested adding features, or asked to give them ideas.  I know that we need to wait for the 1.3 Beta 3 as well as help look for bugs.  That was never my point.  My point was given that there is no known release date I personally am needing to make a decision on how to move forward with a project that doesn't have the luxury of waiting until 1.3 is complete.

I was explaining my dilemma, as well as giving my thanks to the developers and contributors for their hard work.

In gassho,
ScottyDoo

#11 2008-12-06 06:27:04

Meow
Website

They always say that they have their own life. Don't we have our own life?

#12 2008-12-06 07:29:38

Aikimaniac

Maybe when xmas comes we will see its done...but no idea about what years xmas big_smile

Im not sorry for my english and dont forget: Dolphins are gay sharks !

#13 2008-12-06 11:37:35

liquidat0r
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Lots

Did you just make that up randomly ... or?

#14 2008-12-06 11:42:11

Connor
Former Developer

Everyone needs to get back on topic, or stop posting in here, we don't need yet another "when will it be done" thread

Meow: if you want features there is a feature request forum, post them in there.

ScottyDoo: Thanks for your posts, it is appreciated and I'm sorry we haven't got 1.3 finished for the users like you.

#15 2008-12-06 16:55:37

Rich Pedley
Website

I installed an early beta of FluxBB on a live site quite some time ago. It's only a small forum but haven't had any problems whatsoever - except for the main user (me!) deleting a thread by accident :oops:

my mind is on a permanent tangent

#16 2008-12-06 17:05:21

ScottyDoo

Rich Pedley wrote:

I installed an early beta of FluxBB on a live site quite some time ago. It's only a small forum but haven't had any problems whatsoever - except for the main user (me!) deleting a thread by accident :oops:

It works great no doubt.  I've got another forum running SVN rev718 currently and it started on Punbb 1.2 a few years ago.

I haven't had any problems and so far haven't needed any extra features.  It's my other new project I'm working on that needs some additional features for it to really work for us.  I'm unfortunately not someone who knows PHP, so I can't create anything on my own.  On top of that I need to do some heavy customizing, but don't care to do it only to have it all change when Paul is finished.

I'm thinking I'll stick to punbb just for the fact that I'm guessing it will be easier to migrate the DB over to the new Flux release when it's out and extensions start getting released.  If I were to move to another board altogether I would be stuck with it.

#17 2008-12-06 17:22:38

bigcortex

6 months ago, the beta3 was *nearly* done. I've been waiting 1.3 for about 2 years. A few weeks ago I asked a Fluxbb developer if it was safe to say that the beta3 would be completed before the end of the year and the answer was a firm and confident "yes". So yeah, I could wait until the end of the year but I wont take the chance. I have decided to look elsewhere.

Thank you very much ex-punbb/fluxbb developers for all the time you have put into this software. I wish you good luck.

#18 2008-12-06 17:41:01

Rich Pedley
Website

ScottyDoo wrote:

I haven't had any problems and so far haven't needed any extra features.  It's my other new project I'm working on that needs some additional features for it to really work for us.  I'm unfortunately not someone who knows PHP, so I can't create anything on my own.  On top of that I need to do some heavy customizing, but don't care to do it only to have it all change when Paul is finished.

What sort of features?

I'm committed to the team behind FluxBB, and won't touch PunBB again. I'm fairly confident that porting extensions over will be easy enough to do. Though admittedly I wouldn't like to touch the big ones - like a PM system.

I am going to port over a few of the smaller ones that I know I'll find useful. Basically any changes I made to one particular forum will have to be available before I can give them FluxBB. So I'll be looking at Akismet, BB Spam fighter etc. Plus some of the minor ones I've done like hiding a post if it has x number of reports. As you can see it's mainly anti-spam techniques!

#19 2008-12-06 17:56:05

SLK
Website

bigcortex wrote:

6 months ago, the beta3 was *nearly* done. I've been waiting 1.3 for about 2 years. A few weeks ago I asked a Fluxbb developer if it was safe to say that the beta3 would be completed before the end of the year and the answer was a firm and confident "yes". So yeah, I could wait until the end of the year but I wont take the chance. I have decided to look elsewhere.

Thank you very much ex-punbb/fluxbb developers for all the time you have put into this software. I wish you good luck.

I know exactly how you feel.
Im not critizising the dev team for their free work nor time. Please don't get me wrong of that.

But, I must say, that I really don't believe that 1.3 final ever is going to be ready. Yah, you heard me. Im starting to think that FluxBB is a dead project - why shouldn't I think that? The release of 1.3 have 'been around the corner' for ages now, and still it could take years before it is final.

_That's_ what Im frustrating about. Have I known that half a year ago, I would have found another forum software to use to my site.

I would really love to see FluxBB 1.3 to be release (and to be ready), cause I really believe that FluxBB is a awesome piece of software. Unfortunately I just don't think it's going to happend, anymore.

Damn, I wish I knew all this stuff half a year ago, my site would then have a new forum instead of still using the old phpBB 2.X

#20 2008-12-06 19:21:26

Connor
Former Developer

Rich Pedley wrote:

I'm committed to the team behind FluxBB, and won't touch PunBB again. I'm fairly confident that porting extensions over will be easy enough to do. Though admittedly I wouldn't like to touch the big ones - like a PM system.

I am going to port over a few of the smaller ones that I know I'll find useful. Basically any changes I made to one particular forum will have to be available before I can give them FluxBB. So I'll be looking at Akismet, BB Spam fighter etc. Plus some of the minor ones I've done like hiding a post if it has x number of reports. As you can see it's mainly anti-spam techniques!

We're still off topic, but I think I should point out rushing to port extensions from PunBB might not be the best idea, don't assume because they are official PunBB extensions that they are secure or good quality code smile (I guess thats not totally off topic, as its a reason not to use PunBB)

As for everyone else, when we say we think 1.3 will be out soon, we believe it, its not like we plan to have delays etc. Personally if I know what I know now I may have changed the way we did things, but its too late to change whats happened now.

#21 2008-12-06 19:23:20

Rich Pedley
Website

Connor wrote:

We're still off topic, but I think I should point out rushing to port extensions from PunBB might not be the best idea, don't assume because they are official PunBB extensions that they are secure or good quality code smile (I guess thats not totally off topic, as its a reason not to use PunBB)

Interim ports until the official ones get released smile

#22 2008-12-06 19:29:53

twohawks

We are steeped in a lot of mods for Fluxbb 1.2.XX. 
Even if 1.3 had come out some time back I would still be only testing it for new installs, or just locally, until things shake out for a spell once it goes live.  I anticipate a long time to migrate because I do most of that work in my spare time.
1.2 is solid, and has the features I need...  so I don't have my panties in a bunch 'waiting' for 1.3
I am content to support the developers and the product they seek to be developing here because I tend to be loyal to what has supported me solidly in the past, and that has been my experience here with these people.  I wish to share in that spirit.

If I were someone who really needed something else right now, I would see no alternative than to go to something else - that's simply practical.

That's my 2-sense, for what its worth.
Good luck ;^)

Last edited by twohawks (2008-12-06 21:53:03)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function.
No Form is the Tool.

#23 2008-12-06 19:38:06

Connor
Former Developer

Rich Pedley wrote:
Connor wrote:

Interim ports until the official ones get released smile

Thats even worse, it means people get a poor quality extension and then probably lose their data if they want to use the decent version later, if I were you I'd just look at writing decent extensions from the start, obviously it'll take longer, but theres enough people around to get everything done, theres no need for one person to do them all.

#24 2008-12-07 06:41:25

ScottyDoo

twohawks wrote:

1.2 is solid, and has the features I need...  so I don't have my panties in a bunch 'waiting' for 1.3

You know, it's actually not a bad idea to just load up 1.2.x.x. and run with that for the time being.  Sure we're spoiled with how easy the new extension system is, as I don't particularly like editing code, aside from HTML and CSS.  I know just enough to really screw things up.  That's a good thought, I think I've just had a mental block about going what seems to be backwards.  But really it's not as much moving backwards, but going with what stable and reliable till the new release eh?

#25 2008-12-07 10:14:09

twohawks

I usually only get 'the new thing' when the old thing no longer serves my need.
I have an old jeep. Living up high on the mountain I see tons of snow.  I am about the only one around here who can get around when its bad here - nothing new [vehicle-wise] really seems to kick it (with a few expensive exceptions). People may snicker at my old ugly beast, but guess who they come to when its over ten feet falling and the plows are out elsewhere, and their 'new-fangled computerized not-really-four-wheel-drive-cause-they-dont-build-em-like-that-anymore-trucks' fail them? Oh, they like me then cause I'm the one pulling them out.

I have an old laptop... I know how to treat it right, so it kicks butt on most modern stuff I've seen, well, until lately.  Its beginning not to serve me anymore, I have to upgrade.  I'm sending the old horse to pasture (lovingly, of course).

..All I am saying is that for me, practicality wins out, I rarely rush to update to the latest thing.  I could care less about the barbie's and ken's turning their noses at me. I don't want to be like them I don't wnat to look like them.  I am not looking elsewhere for my happiness - I have a lot to be grateful for right where I am at.   Oh yeah, and when the chips are down suddenly they are interested in what I got, what was beneath them yesterday... and they'll put up with a little dirt to get it ;^) <snobby sods>,

Kinda went off there, didn't I?! HA!
[edit: oh yeah, I didn't mean driving thru ten feet (you need a cat for that!), I mean when that much is falling and the roads are so bad only a few get out there ;^)

Last edited by twohawks (2008-12-07 12:00:01)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function.
No Form is the Tool.

Board footer