If you have shell access to the webserver (and it is running *nix) you can simply chmod a directory using the chmod command. For example:
chmod 777 /home/jamie/Web/fluxbb/forums/cache
or if you wish to recursively chmod all the files within the directory
chmod -R 777 /home/jamie/Web/fluxbb/forums/cache
Warning: remember to check with your hosting company what's necessary before doing anything. chmod files to 777 might appear to work fine on your end, but in fact be a major security breach on many, many hosts.
The exact steps will vary depending on your FTP client, however the general idea is:
- Open your FTP client and connect to your website.
- Navigate to your forum root directory.
- Right click on the folder you wish to chmod and look for an option called “chmod”, “permissions” or “properties”.
- This should give you a window which will either have check boxes for “read”, “write” and “execute” permissions for “owner”, “group” and “public”, or a text box to enter the value manually.
- Either tick the appropriate boxes, or enter the appropriate value into the text box, and apply.